Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheFieldMarshal

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbmin97 View Post
Hey I'm looking to build my first pc but I've got a really tight budget (trying to stay around $550 for parts). I want something capable of recording games....Potentially even BF3 multiplayer. Obviously I can't afford an i5 on this budget.

I cant decide between a phenom ii x4 965 BE and an i3 2120. I recognize intel always has the upper hand in architecture and performance and whatnot, but what really pulls ahead in multithreaded tasks like recording with fraps (maybe camtasia which I already have. Idk much about recording software yet lol)?

If I want to record games, especially ones that can fully utilize all four cores like BF3, would I be better off with the phenom or the i3?
BF3 only really uses 2 cores. The I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz and an intel G630 dual core @ 2.7Ghz runs the game within 5-10fps of each other. Rly wanna shoot for an I5 if you're gonna record.

TheFieldMarshal

10-08-2012

If you don't need windows and can recycle a HD/dvd drive(if they are sata based) then here u go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jI8j

bulbmin97

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieldMarshal View Post
550 before or after rebates?
Do you need windows 7 or do you have a copy?
Can you recycle anything from ur past PC IE: HD, dvd drive, psu, and/or case?
before rebates, preferably. I do need windows 7, but I'm not counting that as part of the 550 dollars. My real budget is 650, which leaves the 550 for parts. I don't have any recyclable parts, as this is my first build. I currently use a laptop.

bulbmin97

10-08-2012

Quote:
If you don't need windows and can recycle a HD/dvd drive(if they are sata based) then here u go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jI8j
Alright, cool. I added in an OS and dvd drive and it came out to 680.....A tad bit more than I'd like to spend but I'll stretch a little. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just out of curiosity though, what sort of fps increase would your build hold over a similar build using the phenom 965 instead? I assume its clearly enough to justify another 90 bucks, but I'm just curious

TheFieldMarshal

10-08-2012

Check this out: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3120-10.html
The I5-3xxx series is 10% more powerful than the I5-2xxx series given the same clock speed. That should be your answer. If you can, stretch a little more, an HD 7870 is about 20-30 bucks more but will be able to max out BF3 easily even on online play, the HD 7850 can too but it's a bit more. EIther one is fine tho tbh. You forgot hard drive

bulbmin97

10-08-2012

Quote:
You forgot hard drive
Oh yeah f**k ):

What do you think about downgrading the gpu? In reality, I will mostly be playing lower end games like League of Legends and Tf2. I don't really need to be maxing BF3 in 1080p (although its always nice to be capable of). If I factor in 60 bucks for an hard drive, I'll be at 745 dollars....Any decent graphics cards for about 110 bucks? : /

Potentially, I could go back to the phenom at this point, even though I know its not optimal. I guess my choice is phenom 965 with 7850, or i5 3330 with some low end gpu....unless you have any better suggestions of course

TheFieldMarshal

10-08-2012

I like the phenoms alot, but in CPU bound tasks the I3 despite being slower, less cache, and 2cores+2virtual cores still performs better in games period. Let me get back to u in a few minutes.

TheFieldMarshal

10-08-2012

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jIL1
720 prerebates 680 after rebates, price includes windows, hd, dvd drive etc. The best I can do. The GTX 560/HD 6870 is significantly better than the HD 7770/GTX 550ti(The HD 7770 is a bit ahead of the 550ti). The increase from the GTX 560/HD6870 to HD 7850 isn't as large of a jump, but either should max out BF3(online 64 players not too sure but probably), and max out usually means high smooth fps 30-40+.

This setup will outperform the phenom+HD 7850.

bulbmin97

10-08-2012

Quote:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jIL1
720 prerebates 680 after rebates, price includes windows, hd, dvd drive etc. The best I can do. The GTX 560/HD 6870 is significantly better than the HD 7770/GTX 550ti(The HD 7770 is a bit ahead of the 550ti). The increase from the GTX 560/HD6870 to HD 7850 isn't as large of a jump, but either should max out BF3(online 64 players not too sure but probably), and max out usually means high smooth fps 30-40+.

This setup will outperform the phenom+HD 7850.
That looks really good. I'll definitely go with this setup. Thanks for helping me out man

TheFieldMarshal

10-08-2012

Glad I could help.