So Riot, what is the league of legends?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SkyBearDrop

09-10-2014

Since the IoW is being cropped out. Why is this game called "League of Legends" when there is no longer a league? Why are they fighting each other? What is everyones purpose of even being here?

Tacet

09-10-2014

I'm taking "League of Legend's story will be it's story, and the game will be the game" to mean no, there isn't. LoL doesn't have a game lore anymore. They deleted it. Instead, it has an officially sanctioned fanfic.

The video they released today was good. I admit that the IoW tied their hands in some ways (though why this couldn't have been a story with the IoW in place I haven't puzzled out yet). Still, my reaction was "oh, that's better than I expected." It does nothing to explain why I'm beating minions over the head with a giant poleaxe for 30 minutes in game, and as such, it's kind of hard for me to take an interest in it.

I love League of Legends, and I loved the lore because it brought that game to life in my imagination. Now that it isn't about the game, what's the point of paying attention to it aside from its intrinsic value as a story (and it's not that good, yet)? As a side effect of that previous statement, League feels a bit lifeless to me now as well. I haven't had much motivation to play since the Cataclysm, though I'm sure that will return with time.

Until it does, Dawngate is actually a really fun game (with lore that matters!). Also, Riot, I know this is the wrong forum for it, but please let there be a champion that can piledrive some poor soul from the stratosphere. Eel-wielding otter isn't a requirement. Just that ult. Thank you.

SkyBearDrop

09-11-2014

Bump

Melancholy Exile

09-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBearDrop View Post
Since the IoW is being cropped out. Why is this game called "League of Legends" when there is no longer a league? Why are they fighting each other? What is everyones purpose of even being here?
Essentially because it makes no sense for Riot to completely remove all of the recognisable surface details from their game just because they've decided to change some of the non-essential inner workings. They're not going to rebrand their product or try and change established in-game terms to match adjustments they're making to what is ultimately a minority interest.

There isn't any sort of narrative behind games of League now so asking questions like "Why are Champions fighting each other?" is a bit pointless. They're fighting each other because they're characters in a videogame and that's what they've always done. There's nothing more to it.

Gentleman Gaston

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2014

The game is called League of Legends because that's the name it was released under and the name by which every player knows it.

Why is Starcraft called Starcraft? There's no crafting of stars at all! Why is Bioshock called Bioshock? A game's name doesn't need to have anything to do with the game's subject.

VirgilTheDragon

09-11-2014

The League of Lorekillers.

The Assemblage of Random Individuals.

The Collection of People.

Something Something E$ports.

Keyshe

09-11-2014

Gentleman, think of a one of the other meanings of craft. It's a space game, with aliens and... spacecrafts. It's not a 'totally' unrelated game play. I haven't played Bioshock but the name and the theme of the game kinda coincide too, to a degree there is a lot of bio stuff and 'shocks' I know that much.
Then remember League of Legends DID have a meaning not only that but the gameplay had one. Now it doesn't. OF course that's going to be a problem for everyone who cared and like the game. Maybe you never did, fine.

Philomelle

09-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Gaston View Post
The game is called League of Legends because that's the name it was released under and the name by which every player knows it.

Why is Starcraft called Starcraft? There's no crafting of stars at all! Why is Bioshock called Bioshock? A game's name doesn't need to have anything to do with the game's subject.
StarCraft is a portmanteau of Star (as in stars and outer space) and WarCraft (as in the art, or craft, of war). It can also be interpreted as a spaceship if you want.

Bioshock is called so because of its heavy themes of transhumanism and what it means to be human. A lot of characters in Bioshock can no longer be called human due to changes they undergo, while its protagonists struggle to maintain their humanity as the game goes on, either because they changed themselves (Jack) or because the world did it for them (Elizabeth and Delta). Therefore the story of the game is about a SHOCK of human BIOlogy.

While a game's title can change its meaning (Far Cry was originally named after the CryEngine, but is now named after its narrative themes), losing it is a pretty bad idea. While League of Legends is still technically a sportsmanship event (league) in which champions (legends) participate, it has now been weakened because these legends aren't from a world we relate to (therefore reducing our capacity to care) and while this is a league for us players, champions don't know about it being such (meaning the intent to avoid heroes being controlled by an all-powerful force has actually failed, as these legends are essentially puppets in our blood sport).

Legacy of Xion

09-11-2014

"We're presenting it like Super Smash Bros Brawl."

Joke's on them. SSBB had the Subspace Emissary, which had a story.

SkyBearDrop

09-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Gaston View Post

You just don't get it..