Hi, newer player here

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Linna Excel

10-02-2012

Hello everyone.

I've been playing a few bot games a week (level 9) for the past two months or so... I think Zyra had just come out when I started, and have been lurking the forums. I've seen a few of the threads for starters, read something about warding the tri bush is good, but I don't quite know them by heart. There's a lot to remember for this game. It's not eve bad, but there's a lot.

The question I want to pose to everyone is, when is the best time to start playing normal (non-ranked) games with other players? Do I just jump in to the deep in feet first or is there a handful of basic things (no more than 3-5 to start with) I need to get down in bot games before trying to play with others? Problem wise, I know I have a tendency to push by default, still getting used to last hitting, but I'm getting better about not chasing. I'm still kinda vague on the whole lane roles and jungle things. I have an idea what the meta is, I just don't know which champions go where.

Champion wise, I've unlocked Ashe and Soraka (saving IP up for Ahri, she was fun when I tried her when she was free for a week) if that helps. I've read a few of the guides on solomid and mobafire for those champions.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

My advice is to wait until you're consistently winning intermediate AI games, and doing average or better then average in relation to your teammates, before you start blind PvP.

When you're doing blind normals, you don't have to worry about the meta much - especially sub30, it's not uncommon for teams to still have two players top.

You seem to be aware of some of the differences between AI and PvP, with your comments about pushing/chasing, so you're probably ok to start if you're comfortable with your AI performance. Just remember that everyone is still learning at your level, so almost nothing you see from other players will actually end up being good tactics at 30+, even if it works very well in blind. Learn as you go, and eventually you'll gain a more complete knowledge of the game just via experience.

Ranchodas C

10-02-2012

I agree with Sereg, play bots until you get the hang of the game. However, don't play bots too long, otherwise when you play PVP, your skills will not match your summoner level. My friend had made that mistake by playing bots until he was level 20, and tried PVP. He did not do well. So don't be afraid of playing normal games, ask people in your team to help you out! That way, you gain more skill, more experience, and even make some friends. Don't let bad games hinder you!!! Everybody has had at least more than one bad game, it is all part of the learning process. In my opinion, you actually learn more when you do bad than when you do good! Also, try to find a couple of champions that you like a lot and focus on mastering those champions. I personally like champs that are off-tank and deal a good amount of damage, such as Darius or Garen, both of which are very easy to play.

As far as I know where champions go, one ranged champ goes into mid lane, junglers of course go into the jungle and help gank, solo top is mainly occupied by off-tank champs, and there are a wide variety of which champs can go bot. Ahri is a great mid champ, if you build and play right, you will dominate the entire game. Well, that is mostly what i have to say. Please correct me if you disagree with me, I am also still learning how to be better. So, my ideas may be wrong. I am open to criticism, so feel free to disagree!!!

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

Let me quickly clarify the meta you presented, Ranch.

Top lane is usually a bruiser, meaning a reasonably strong damage dealer with some durability. This can either be AD, or AP. Many top lane champions have a melee autoattack, although this is not always the case.

Jungle is also often a bruiser, or a full tank - usually someone with strong crowd control, a good initiation, or both. More rarely, it can be an aggressive assassin type champion, with more emphasis on raw damage then crowd control.

Mid lane is usually a ranged mage, and almost always an AP champion rather then AD. There are some exceptions, and occasionally a melee champion that can counter many more standard mages well is used in this lane.

Bottom lane is a dual lane, consisting of the AD carry and a support champion. The AD carry is almost without exception a ranged, sustained damage champion, relying on autoattacks far more then abilities. The support can be a utility caster or a tank, with abilities that are effective for supporting an aggressive action like a gank or teamfight initiation; or protecting his teammates by shielding them, peeling away assassins, or disengaging a bad or dangerous teamfight; or both.

Hope this helps.

Edit: This is for clarification only - OP will likely not see this kind of play very often(at least not executed properly), if ever, before level 30, and certainly not before draft.

LegendaryLemur

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
Edit: This is for clarification only - OP will likely not see this kind of play very often(at least not executed properly), if ever, before level 30, and certainly not before draft.
I've played games where my side was following the meta as early as level 5 in blind pick, but only in premades

Sereg Anfaug

10-02-2012

It can happen, yes. But it's not something you can or should expect for a long time, so my point was that he shouldn't be surprised or dismayed if his teamcomp looks nothing like that at low levels.

MartacustheLeet

10-02-2012

I would say just start doing PvP now, everyone should be around your level so it will balance out, and in my view the best way to learn is to do it. I would use champions your more used to and use bots to try out champions you haven't played much or at all, also as warm ups, but just go ahead and go in if you want to and learn that way it is the fastest most sure fire way. Especially since bots are much different than PvP, bots you can predict how they will act because it is usually the same routine for them, as for players they can be more unpredictable thus you won't do yourself any good constantly playing bots. Also don't spend Ip on champs until you try them when they are free and hold out on runes until you can get tier 3 it saves you a lot of IP.

MoreMedz

10-02-2012

There is no universally agreed best time to go into normal games, but it is generally accepted that what you can learn from playing bot games is very limited. In fact, the longer you play bot games, the more likely it is for you to acquire bad habits making it even harder for you to play normal games.

For many people, the transition into becoming a competent player is not a smooth one, because there is a huge gap before someone who has mastered the basics and someone who hasn't; and you will run into a lot of people who can best you simply because they have mastered the basics.

My suggestion is: just jump in. Don't worry about the meta or team composition for now, because at the end of the day, the most important part of this game is playing against real people, who can think and change according to the situation.

Tcudor

10-03-2012

Not all in the low level games are new players though, every other game I've played had someone who'd repeatably shout at people everytime they made a mistake, continuing to rage through the whole game about how **** everybody is.

Do yourself a favour and ignore people like that be in physically (ignore function) or mentally

Juidic

10-03-2012

Putting it simply there is no reason not to just play PvP games. At first sure your not going to be very good but neither is anyone else on both the teams (unless someone is smurfing)

The problem with bot matches as stated earlier is that you may higher summoner level than what reflects your skill. The other is you get used to the way bots behave and once you move over to normal PvP games it will come as a shock that the other team is not acting as they normally would.

Not that long ago there was no AI. You only had the choice of normal games. Which is why i think that it would be more beneficial for yourself and any other new players just to dive in and play PvP. That way if you come up against someone who played better than you did you can have a look at what they did, what they built.

One of the greatest annoyances of playing league of legends is that each game you are putting in about 40 minutes to play a single match and if you don't win you feel disheartened. But i have a question for you, Whats wrong with loseing a game every now and then? No one is able to win every game they play.

So after all of that, my suggestion to you is just play normal PvP and if you are hesitant about trying out a new champ then use AI few 1 or 2 games to work out whether or not you like them.

You never know if you don't try!