How do you play/build Kayle in Dominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

I think she can be very good bottom lane (especially vs Darius if you can bait out his ulti with yours) but I don't really know how to build her.

Like, BT, BZ greaves + tank items?

What do you max first? Q?

Help plz

TCWA Tigerbite

10-03-2012

I always build her the same way I do on SR, which tends to be okay, but not great. Which is usually hybrid/as, maxing the Splash skill first, then Q, then the other one.

I've seen some go glass cannon AD and get demolished, but I have also seen some that are pretty amazing, but I have no clue what they built, because they were usually on my team so I didn't have to worry about countering them. :P

I'm sorry, my post was probably of no help. >_<

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCWA Tigerbite View Post
I always build her the same way I do on SR, which tends to be okay, but not great. Which is usually hybrid/as, maxing the Splash skill first, then Q, then the other one.

I've seen some go glass cannon AD and get demolished, but I have also seen some that are pretty amazing, but I have no clue what they built, because they were usually on my team so I didn't have to worry about countering them. :P

I'm sorry, my post was probably of no help. >_<
Well I just built her Prospector's Blade, Greaves, Sanguine Blade, Zeke's Herald, Wit's End and Maw of Malmorthius against at first an AP Teemo and then later on a Fiddlesticks and kinda easily won bot (vs Fiddle I had to have my ult or else drain would just kill me). The Lifesteal would help me get back a lot of HP and combined with my ult made me pretty hard to kill (Ult block DFG and Dart was pretty good to counter Teemo). I would have replaced Prospector's Blade with either an IE or a Frozen Mallet, I guess.

Shame we lost because it was a 4v5 the whole time, yet the game lasted 21 minutes.

Nyx87

10-03-2012

AP or AD both max Q first because it is more damage and E benefits from attack speed which you don't have much of in the early game. For max E to match max Q you need to attack ~5 times. I personally prefer AD carry style Kayle getting Infinity Edge and Phantom Dancer. I'm still on the fence about getting Last Whisper over another Phantom Dancer due to her passive. The problem i have with this build is that it's hard to fit cdr into it.

For an AP build I like Nashors, Dcap, Voidstaff, Malady, in that order. The problem i have with this build is that it has little to no sustain.

FOODFOOD

10-03-2012

The great thing about Kayle is that she can be built to counter any and everything, sans Malphite/Nunu/Ezreal.

My favorite build is as follows:
(Bot lane, of course)
-Start Boots + 2x Dagger + 3 pots
-Build Malady + Zerks
-Brutalizer
-Vamp Scepter
-Wits End or possibly Lightbringer, if they're really tricky with bushes. (or both if you're playing crazy zerker mode)
-Sanguine Blade from Vamp Scepter
-Youmuu's
-Sell Malady for Phantom Dancer
-Situational Final Item (if the game is still going, but you usually won't get this far. If so, I recommend Infinity Edge.)

I love this build because it's reachable in a lot of games. I try to stay away from too much AP, but I use Guinsoos and Nashors against high-armor champs. In that situation, keep the Malady.

For runes, you want CDR/18 blues. The rest are preference, but I like Attack Speed & Arpen Reds/Quints and don't remember for yellows.

Phourc

10-04-2012

From what I remember messing with Kayle around dominion launch is her kit seems to want hybrid scaling, but absolutely cannot make it work.

So you're left with an onhit build (which is fun but not super strong) or an AD carry build despite her not really having any kit-based reason to build that way.

Reikken

10-04-2012

depends on what I feel like doing
either PD+cleaver+IE
or nashor's+rageblade+malady

and yeah Q first
unless I want to push really really hard. then I'll start with points in Q, but get E maxed by lv 10 or so

A single hat

10-04-2012

I really hate running hybrid/AP on Kayle because it does so little damage compared to AD carry Kayle. Max R>Q>W>E with one point in E to start unless you have an easy matchup (then get Q). If you have an exceptionally easy lane, max E over W.

If you are ahead, push the lane with un-enhanced autoattacks, so that your ranged mode isn't on cooldown later on when you want to duel/kite or if you have to farm at turret. Kayle also has really good burst with Q->auto which additionally allows her to kite very effectively.

Kayle ult is about as good of a defensive steroid as you could ever want, so you don't really need a lot of defensive items. Lifesteal synergizes with her ult (which also reduces the effectiveness of "counters" like thornmail and DBC if they bring rammus).

Kayle, imo, has the best lategame of any champion in the game, barring a couple fringe cases (Veigar and Sion)

Matchups: Only a couple specific matchups I can give insight on.
-Jayce is very hard because he has a much stronger early game and continues being strong against Kayle until she gets multiple items.
-Darius is a skill match-up early because you must dodge the E to win it, but mid-lategame you should win it since Darius should never the the reset.
-Theorycrafting only (haven't played it yet), Kayle should beat Udyr, since she should have enough push to survive early when Udyr is a titan of push, and eventually outscale him significantly while being almost untouchable (probably would try maxing R>E>Q>W against such a passive lane).
-Surprisingly, Kayle has a very tough time against Nunu early-mid game due to range matchups and the fact that Nunu is hyper sustained. Nunu is one of the few champions that can kite Kayle. He won't get good ults off against Kayle, but his other skills make it a bit of a nightmare matchup.

Tortferngatr

10-04-2012

I have no idea how to skill her. I think I'd go R>Q>=W>E in general, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
From what I remember messing with Kayle around dominion launch is her kit seems to want hybrid scaling, but absolutely cannot make it work.

So you're left with an onhit build (which is fun but not super strong) or an AD carry build despite her not really having any kit-based reason to build that way.
Kayle works well as an AD because her kit has some fairly potent natural survivability, mobility, and utility mechanisms built in. On Dominion, this is an absolute godsend for an AD carry, and part of the reason why Dominion discovered Ezreal LONG before SR did.

Besides, it's FUN to be an angel of reckoning smiting things with magic AoE, then turning an ally invincible while you keep smiting from afar!

Building cooldown boots over greaves is probably the best thing you can do for Kayle, if only because Kayle really likes the ability to abuse her slow/DPS booster, heal/MS booster, poke, and trump card.

I start boots+prospector's blade+1 health pot+1 mana pot, rushing Brutalizer and Ionian Boots of Lucidity. I also like getting Zeal to make into PD or Triforce later on.

Hexdrinker is a great little item, as is Chain Vest for an Atma's or Warden's Mail. I guess IE if you're steamrolling late game? Vampiric Scepter is nice, but you do have a heal/invincibility...

MajorUrsa

10-05-2012

I really like the Kayle hybrid on-hit effect build, pretty fun