@Riot: A proposed solution to the language probrem

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GaafGrohiik

10-15-2012

another bump for logic! I'm seeing a lot of threads about language barriers popping up, so I want this to pick up more steam.

Strato5

10-15-2012

i'm mexican and always play as a party with my friends, if i talk spanish im talking with my friends things that are not even significative to the match, if i want to comunicate with not spanish speakers i speak in english, maybe i dont speak it 100% but i can understand it perfectly and i'm also understandable, but is pretty anoying when someone just doesnt speak english or cant understand it, is just frustrating, and more cause they dont even give a truck about what they are trying to comunicate to those ignorants, i upvote the purpose of this thread

boooonana

10-15-2012

this is 'murica, stay away from us, go eat some tacos

GaafGrohiik

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooonana View Post
this is 'murica, stay away from us, go eat some tacos
gtfo of my thread.

Sn0wY

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We've discussed a few times having some sort of solution that helps people play with people of their own language. Obviously, we've launched some platforms to help with this. But, we've also discussed either language preferential matching, or sub-territorial matchmaking. Recently, we instead built other features with those resources (most recently honor and spectate). We think that the rate at which this significantly impacts the enjoyment of players globally is actually a lot lower than you'd expect. These do come with trade-offsf -- if you have this, you will increase everyone's matchmaking queue times because there are less players doing 'the same' thing. (obviously there are ways to mitigate this somewhat). You also give people an incentive in some cases to lie about their language for ranked play in order to play vs a territory with less league of legends experience.

These tradeoffs are solvable, and mostly serve to increase the amount of effort we'd have to put in to do a good job -- which thus far has made other stuff like honor and spectate higher value for players.

That being said, I think it's an area we could improve, and I know we periodically assess if it's the right time to do it (usually by looking at chat log data, surveys, etc, and comparing to the other goals we are trying to support). We do have a lot of developers on social systems and player behavior, and this is the sort of feature they do periodically consider vs the other options.

use google to translate it all on the user client end

Skìlls uNmatched

10-15-2012

I have a question a good on at that what if a spanish and english player played a game together like pre made

rangerike1363

10-15-2012

I would love this for ranked. I don't care about normals enough or if nobody on my team can understand me since I can typically solo carry my normal elo since my ranked elo is way higher :P.

There have been plenty of ranked games where I've had 4 players speaking spanish and I was the only one who spoke english. Suffice it to say the game didn't go well since I couldn't get anything across to the such as objective, focus, etc. Communication is such a huge part of this game and can be the difference between a W and an L.

Bendak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

In short: Riot says they're too lazy to make the system.

Riot, the Honor system goes some way towards alleviating poor experiences, but frankly, I personally only want to play with other English speakers. I am tired of seeing other players spam offensive comments in languages they assume no one else speaks.

TL;DR: I don't think South Americans should get a free pass.

Strato5

10-15-2012

mexico is in north america
lucky me

ChecktheGolem

10-15-2012

I'll be honest, been around since beta on different accounts and I have not once played with a good player that spoke spanish. As soon as I see spanish in my queue I dodge, if I see it in my game, I resign myself to defeat. Not once have I won a game I saw the other players speaking spanish in, or lost a game where the other team was speaking spanish in /all. I'm talking literally hundreds of games where this happens considering I've played a few thousand and at least a sixth of those had spanish speaking players in them. I'm not even counting the BRs because back when they were around I still knew the difference between Portuguese and Spanish. I have a damned good memory and I know there is something wrong with them, I just can't understand why. I've played with good canadians, europeans. some godly aussies, even a good br once or twice. But not once have I seen a player that types only in spanish do well in a game that I've been in.