@Riot: A proposed solution to the language probrem

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GaafGrohiik

10-02-2012

There has been a lot of discussion about South Americans playing on the NA server, inability to communicate, etc. This is not a "racist" or "American elitist" post, and neither is the argument as a whole. This game is big enough to accommodate the many languages spoken by its players, and there is zero reason why there shouldn't be some way to match people with other who speak their language.

What I propose is simple: Allow players to select (once per account, per lifetime) which languages they speak, or which languages they are comfortable playing with.

This would mean that everyone who doesn't care about the language barriers can select all of them, and play with anyone.

It would mean that people who spoke only English could be guaranteed to play with only English-speakers for the trade-off of potentially slightly longer queue times. I, for one, would be willing to wait an extra minute or two to ensure I'll be able to actually communicate with my team.

It would mean that bi or tri-lingual people, or anything along those lines could be matched with people with similar selections.

Also, I don't imagine this being a definitive matchmaking factor - it should prioritize language selection. However, I believe it SHOULD be a solid factor in ranked - at least among the same team.

Now, you may say "it'd be easy to troll! They'd just select every language!"

Guess what - too bad. Everyone has to deal with trolls. But in doing so that would mean they would exclude themselves from language-exclusive matchmaking. It would also mean that those trolls who select every language would be reported more efficiently, since troll logic would encourage them to select every language, and they'd be in a more contained player pool, thus making themselves more easily distinguishable from the masses.

Also, if someone trolled by selecting English and then only speaking Spanish - you can report them for refusing to communicate, and they get moved appropriately by Riot.

This game is too big to suit every player's needs and wants - but this debate is simple logic: people should be allowed to play with people with whom they can communicate. The game is based on teamwork, and you can only rely on pings so much.

Please consider this, Riot.

Sign if you see the sense in this, and would like to see a language filter.

Cujomi

10-02-2012

Or just give the option in settings to select English or another language, and then make it a reportable offence to join a game of a certain language if you don't speak that language.

I personally don't care, but if we're talking in the spirit of teamwork and people being upset at the lack of ability to communicate that seems like the best option.

GaafGrohiik

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Or just give the option in settings to select English or another language, and then make it a reportable offence to join a game of a certain language if you don't speak that language.

I personally don't care, but if we're talking in the spirit of teamwork and people being upset at the lack of ability to communicate that seems like the best option.
I think it should be a permanent selection. If you happen to learn a new language later, submit a ticket and have it changed. Allowing it to be an always-available selection would open it up to abuse, in my opinion.

GaafGrohiik

10-02-2012

bump for logic

Vamp13

10-02-2012

"once per account per lifetime" because people never learn new languages.

so id select romanian, but then i coudlnt also select english a few yrs later when i learned it, and i definitely coudlnt select french a few years after that when i learned that one, and im not gonna select spanish in a year or so when i learn it either rite?

GaafGrohiik

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamp13 View Post
"once per account per lifetime" because people never learn new languages.

so id select romanian, but then i coudlnt also select english a few yrs later when i learned it, and i definitely coudlnt select french a few years after that when i learned that one, and im not gonna select spanish in a year or so when i learn it either rite?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaafGrohiik View Post
I think it should be a permanent selection. If you happen to learn a new language later, submit a ticket and have it changed. Allowing it to be an always-available selection would open it up to abuse, in my opinion.
Learn to read before posting.

GaafGrohiik

10-02-2012

another bump for logic. I would really like to see a red respond to this issue. there have been tons of threads about it.

GaafGrohiik

10-02-2012

bump :/

Sindor Nex

10-02-2012

bump.... would love to see this happen

pentaRifts

10-02-2012

Interesting

12345 ... 6