So...what about that new lore format?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PumpkinKing08

08-06-2013

As we all know, the Journal of Justice ended on May 22, 2012. After its departure, we were promised a new format for the lore of Runeterra.

Quote:
Dear fans of League of Legends lore:

You've undoubtedly noticed that we have not released Judgments for our most recent characters, nor have we updated the Journal of Justice within recent months. While we have enjoyed providing you with these additional windows into the Lore of our Champions and the world of Runeterra, we have come to realize that the formats we'd chosen have their limitations. Judgments are stories limited in that they occur only during the intake of a Champion into the League of Legends. The Journal of Justice is limited in that it can only contain in-setting journalistic articles. We have found that these limitations are preventing us from providing you with the background and stories that we really want to share with you, ones that will better appeal to a broad audience.

We have been examining the best way to do this and are still in the process of doing so. However, in the mean time, we will no longer be releasing Judgments. We need to take the time we put into those pieces of fiction and apply it towards finding a better solution. We will be concluding the in-progress storylines and completing the Journal of Justice over two issues, as soon as we spin up the required art resources.

We should have a clearer picture of what will fill these Lore vacuums over the coming months and will keep you updated. Thank you for caring about the Lore behind League of Legends. We promise that what comes next will satisfy!
That was RiotRaven, Senior Creative Designer, from January 6, 2012.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muranodo
I'd like to know the above too. Unless, this is just the end of the present format for the sake of another way to deliver it?
Our approach is still the same as what was stated in the beginning of this thread: we're finishing the JoJ in favor of delivering lore by other methods. We absolutely want to do more than the champion bios you get with each release.

I can't give an ETA on this at all, and for that I'm sorry, but I want to clarify that this is not the end of lore--it's only the end of the JoJ as a vehicle for delivering lore and story development.
Again, RiotRaven from May 21, 2012.

My question is this:
Where is this new format?
All I can find are these new character biographies, which are either full of contradictions or give nearly no real amount of information concerning Runeterra and its rich history.

Is that the new format of presenting lore? If so, I would recommend you attempt another format.

I've also been led to believe that all the previous Journal's of Justice are no longer relevant to the current lore. Is this true? For example, Tryndamere and Ashe are no longer married. If so, why are the Journal's still available in-game?

Squidd

08-07-2013

Dude. The current system totally trumps the previous one. Lore is telling of the story and plot of the characters. It is seamlessly told through large patches like the Freljord patch. All that buildup and revealings with those posts by Quinn was a great way of delivering lore. It told the characters' stories and advanced the plot in a seamless manner. Perhaps it was so seamless that it resulted you in not even recognizing it.

Jikker

08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
Dude. The current system totally trumps the previous one. Lore is telling of the story and plot of the characters. It is seamlessly told through large patches like the Freljord patch. All that buildup and revealings with those posts by Quinn was a great way of delivering lore. It told the characters' stories and advanced the plot in a seamless manner. Perhaps it was so seamless that it resulted you in not even recognizing it.
The big Freljord patch was good, yes, but what did it do? Messed with current lores, brought lots of confusion, basically destroyed the concept of the League (they can't stop the problems in the north despite the three main leaders all being League champions), and in the end didn't add much to the grand scheme of plots. At least with the JoJ and Judgments, we could peak into the champions' heads and find out what they were doing on a day to day basis. It gave us a lot more lore than the current system ever could!

Engrailed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2013

I agree with the points being made by PumpkinKing08 and Jikker. I am really enjoying the new ways that the Lore Department is weaving stories into the game, but what still seems to be missing that the JoJ did well is an overarching storyline that drives the 'plot' of the world forward. In the JoJ, it was the brewing war in Kalamanda over the Crystal Scar. But now....we're not sure beyond some rumbling in Freljord. And while the Freljord patch introduced some major new players in the world and raised some tantalizing possibilities about what could happen between those players, their stories have not yet advanced beyond an introduction and background.

I think it might have been last summer that Kitae checked in about the current direction the Lore department was heading towards. It really has been an exciting year for lore development. But will we see a return to an overarching storyline that draws in many of the champions? Or has that ship sailed? Any chance of another 'check-in' post this summer to give some hints about what we can expect for the coming year?

Morec0

08-07-2013

I think I just realized something: The Journal of Justice... was just a massive Quinn's journal used to introduce a BUNCH of new characters and skins!

It's relevant, at least, even if not exceptionally breathtaking.

Criomhthann

08-07-2013

Their current lore system:

1. Introduce area conflict
2. Introduce character conflict
3. Add mini-games for related characters
4. Variations of the above for minor bits.

That's it. That's your system. MOBA's are simply is not suited for telling stories related to characters between characters which are played in said MOBA's outside of introduction and then minor bits; there won't be any long lasting meaningful development of the characters or any impact on the world at large because of the limitations of the genre prevent it.

Engrailed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criomhthann View Post
Their current lore system:

1. Introduce area conflict
2. Introduce character conflict
3. Add mini-games for related characters
4. Variations of the above for minor bits.

That's it. That's your system. MOBA's are simply is not suited for telling stories related to characters between characters which are played in said MOBA's outside of introduction and then minor bits; there won't be any long lasting meaningful development of the characters or any impact on the world at large because of the limitations of the genre prevent it.
Genre is irrelevant. I agree that they can't really tell a story within the game itself...but that's an arbitrary restriction. There are a multitude of ways to tell a story. They could produce a weekly podcast that simply consisted of Adam Harrington as Shaco recounting how he came to join the league and what he was currently plotting with his friends Fiddlesticks and Nocturne and that would be a way of advancing some amount of the world's story forward (and in such a way that had NOTHING to do with the genre).

Hell, they could start a random thread on the forums and tell a story using text alone, like overheard dialog. Picture a random thread popping up where the original poster is Swain (in the same vein as Zaun Lab Bot) saying "Vladimir, are your preparations almost complete? Does the Hand suspect anything?" and just go on from there, releasing a new post (and thus continuing the dialog) every so often to advance the story.

I'm not saying that's the best idea, but there are a ton of different ways to tell a larger story about the world without having to do so in game. Think creatively!

Criomhthann

08-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engrailed View Post
Genre is irrelevant.
It's entirely relevant. It's impossible to tell a story in a MOBA about the champions between champions within a MOBA where the only logical conclusion between them is one dying. It simply can't be done. Jarvan will NEVER kill Swain, and Swain will NEVER kill Jarven. There can't be much in the way of progression of characters due to the style of the game.

This one of the reasons why the Journal of Justice functioned well, as it told some story of the Champions and then focused on the macro level interaction between nations and the League rather than just the Champions. With the end of the JoJ and Kitae's insistence of retconning the Ministry of War and refocusing on the Champions alone, progression becomes difficult in most cases to impossible in others. The Freljord is a perfect example; the conflict can't progress to any conclusion of substance due to such a conclusion requiring the death of at least one champion.

IceHound

08-08-2013

Well treasure planet battle procyon is considered a non-classic MOBA and it's story telling is rather rich, it has a campaign mode which tells the main story of the game, each mission ends with a journal log which talks about what happens during the mission and what happened after it. Along with that the historical skirmish mode also gives a brief piece of lore telling what happened in the situation the skirmish is. LoL's dev team could easily pull off something like this and honestly I'd be willing to throw a couple of RP at them just to play such a mode for LoL.