Why I think we will never get our ranked Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

byobsoad2

10-02-2012

It's too late/early to be getting upset about what has and hasn't been done. Let's wait til s3, THEN start complaining

naotasan

10-02-2012

When Dominion was in Beta, Riot was telling us how they were going to have to change the way League works to make Dominion be more "balanced" and how they were going to have to re-train their shoutcasters to learn Dominion. It was being hyped up as the next big moba map and game type as if Summoners Rift was going to die because of this. (Excluding DD tournaments and such, this is the only promotion Dominion got. Also, anyone remember people saying "Dota/Hon u mad?" when Dominion was coming out? Because those games don't have it)

Somewhere between the Beta and Dominion being out for a few weeks, they realized that they don't want to take the player base from Summoners Rift and they stopped pushing players to play it. As the weeks passed we saw that they stopped "supporting" Dominion in their spotlights. It was a slow decline but it was surely there.

The first spotlight with Dominion show cased some actual tactics for Dominion. As the weeks passed and passed, they slowly changed the spotlights. It started strong (Two separate sections, one for Summoners Rift, one for Dominion) and slowly started to die off (they would just mention the builds for Dominion in a quick 8 second segment) and eventually they don't even show up anymore in the spotlights.

Over the past few months, we have gathered some data by asking Riot directly at cons and asking Riot at off-site sources such as Reddit (big plus to Riot for utilizing their own forums for this </sarcasm>) "what is the future of Dominion?"

They basically told us "We have been doing a terrible job at supporting our alternative game types" and "We don't want our player base split between two 5v5 game modes". The last quote we can credit to Morello, even if he didn't say it directly. Morello worked on Guild Wars 1 and he was in charge of balancing PVP or something, but he saw first hand how PvP was dying due to how many queues there were (we can see an example this with the death of Draft due to dodge penalty).

But there is still hope! Riot has told us they plan to actually support their alternative game modes in Season 3 by giving us updates. There has been some unofficial talk from some Riot employees about how there is a lot of updates ALREADY in the works for Season 3. RiotNome has actually been playing a lot of Summoners Rift now which can mean two things.

1) He's done with all his changes and he's waiting for Season 3 because that's what his boss told him to do. Or he's fixing up Twisted Treeline first, it's impossible to tell without information from Riots' mouth

2) He became bored with Dominion and now plays Summoners Rift the majority of the time OR is trying to get his ranking up.

I for one, am hoping for option 1, but it may be a combination of both 1 and 2. (Nome we <3 you)

On to my final note (which I saw in a video on youtube, if someone has the link feel free to share it), we should support alternative game types. Why? It will help increase the longevity of not only League of Legends, but Riot Games itself. Eventually people are going to get bored of Summoners Rift and move on to other games offering the same platform (Dota2/Hon/etcetc) and eventually leave the entire game genre itself. Dominion is helping expand the "play-ability" League of Legends has by offering an entire different playing field to those who want to try out another competitive side to League. No other MOBA game offers multiple maps like this, is there? If so, I am unaware and thought Riot was unique in this sense. These reasons are why World of Warcraft is still one of the top MMO's out there. Because it's the same "base-game" but it's also changing frequently to give its players new content.

I can agree that adding too many map modes will significantly increase queue times, but with four VERY fun maps if they are balanced correctly, even if only 3 of them are competitive, that's a lot of extra room Riot has to expand and play with. We call this "potential" in the real world.

Well, with all that said, we can only hope at this point as no Rioter will comment on updates until they are set in stone at the HQ.

PLS RIOT

The Fizznity

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by naotasan View Post
They basically told us "We have been doing a terrible job at supporting our alternative game types" and "We don't want our player base split between two 5v5 game modes". The last quote we can credit to Morello, even if he didn't say it directly. Morello worked on Guild Wars 1 and he was in charge of balancing PVP or something, but he saw first hand how PvP was dying due to how many queues there were (we can see an example this with the death of Draft due to dodge penalty).
PLS RIOT
I wanna note that they were specifically talking about another summoner's rift type map; more maps competing for the same playerbase = sharding and harder to maintain balance. Morello said in the maps thread a bit back that maps which capture a different, unique audience are good because they work to make a subset of existing players more happy as well as draw in another group.

naotasan

10-02-2012

I was just trying to get the basics. Of course I missed some things here and there, but that's the tl;dr (believe it or not) of why we don't have ranked yet.