Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Advice for playing at High Ping

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hirumonogatari

10-01-2012

Hi, i'm really at my wit's end here.

I play from Oceania, and as a result suffer consistently from high ping. by high ping i'm talking 250-300 usually. anything below 230 is a godsend and a cue to give up my steak dinner to offer it to whichever god is watching over me.

let me explain what happens when playing at 250msec ping. it takes 0.25 seconds for what's really happening at the server to be seen in your screen. it takes another 0.25 seconds between you pressing the button and the server actually receiving the command and processing it, making a grand total of 0.5 seconds. as someone has explained to me before, that's like losing 30 frames in a fighting game.

at this ping, i am unable to do a lot of things i've learned and watched people do. orb-walking and kiting is impossible, i'd more likely end up walking stupidly towards the enemy because i'm clicking on empty ground instead of a target. flash-skillshot is likewise impossible. the enemy will be long gone by the time you get into position.

i know that riot cannot do much about the problems we face, short of breaking the laws of physics. but i would like to know what i can actually play without seeming like a complete derp.

i'm used to playing ADC, but i cannot dodge skillshots due to the problem above. this leads to serious zoning issues in early game, and problems associated with kiting later in the game.
playing support is much the same thing. i cannot land skillshots reliably, unless i predict their movements correctly, which is pretty hard (try reading into the future 0.5 seconds) those clutch-saves like shielding or janna's ult is near impossible, and usage of it is often pre-emptive and wasted.
AP mid is even worse. taking 0.5 seconds for each skill to combo off is worse than i can imagine. one skill comes out, and you're a sitting duck until the server responds to your next input.

like i said, i don't think there is anything riot can do, but is there any role or champ that is viable to play? any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

ExecutionerK

10-01-2012

Oceania?

You are better off playing the Asia server, should be able to get you below 120 ping, which will pretty much keep the delay below 0.25 seconds, half of what you are currently seeing.

TheUnburned

10-01-2012

I use to have some pretty bad latency issues, and I played a lot of Amumu. You're better off with Tanks and AOE casters. Avoiding skillshots and burst combos for the most part. Of course it's extremely difficult to land Amu's Q when you have to plan .5s ahead, but it's doable. If you're smart about saving Flash, you can use it for your initiations instead of your Q.

Karthus may be another good option, but again his Q is going to be near impossible to land.

Supports with all on-click abilities might be possible, like Soraka, but you have to plan significantly ahead. Taric may work well too.

A safe ADC like Caitlyn might be a good choice. She can attack from a huge distance and you only need to right click the enemy once to do large sustained damage. And you can escape quite easily with her net, even when lagging.

nwsm

10-01-2012

Trying to get around the problem isn't really a solution imo. The only real solution is going to be try to get better internet, a pretty penny I'm sure. Can't remember the name of the streamer who lives in like New Zealand or Australia. He has to pay way more than people here do, but his connection is amazing.

Hirumonogatari

10-02-2012

would you happen to know the castor or what internet he's using? from what i understand the latency is due to the time the packet takes to travel, which is decided by distance since it has to travel halfway round the world and back again. i'm not sure how better internet would solve this issue but i'm willing to explore options.

Ramachese

10-02-2012

I played high-ping once when I was travelling and using a hotel wifi. It hovered around the 450-500 range so a good half second delay. I would recommend not playing anything that relies on skillshots. I ran Yorrick in this game and did good with him. You really have to learn to predict movements as best you can but I do agree that it is best to play on server closer to home.

Hirumonogatari

10-02-2012

i would play on australian servers except that they don't exist >.>

ReMeDyIII

10-02-2012

I'd play with support champs, since technically support is the least likely to impact a game's final outcome. Play heavily with Sona, since all her aiming (with the exception of her ULT) is automated. Best part is if you and your ADC push the opponents out of lane, you basically just sit there while your ADC last hits everything.

Akal

Recruiter

10-02-2012

Yeah, I ran into the same issue for a few months. I played malphite, rammus, and Amumu - characters who can do AOE damage and don't need lightning reflexes to disrupt the other team.

I guess...

Tank: malphite, rammus, and Amumu
Tanky AD: Shyvana, maybe Darius
ADC: Corki (good escapes and long range safe poke for minions)
AP carry: Anivia? Not sure - it's really dangerous to play this role at high ping
Oddballs: Heimer and Teemo can both contribute with slow reflexes a lot of the time. Teemo through map control and Heimer by simply not needing fast reactions
Support: Soraka and Sona

5kyMarshall

10-02-2012

Same boat as me and my mates, bud.
Best you're going to get here (Australia) I've seen is around 120-150, which is all dependent on your ISP and especially how close you are to a local exchange (maybe <120).

You could also try opening some ports, but not sure about that technical stuff...

I just try cater their movement pattern for any skill shots. Still fun, imagine if we had <20, I might come close to feeling how the Pros feel every day :-)