Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nyx87

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
The short answer is, you won't run out if you're using it in the way you describe. As long as you're not doing things that are clearly not cool -- like honor trades, or honoring every person you meet -- you won't run out.

The longer answer is... [ insert math here ].
This has probably been brought up before, and i apologize if it has, but a situation occurred that put me in an odd spot. I was playing a Dominion game, we won, and the enemy Wu kong was taking cracks at the Heimerdinger on his team in post game lobby. So i said "calm down, its just a game". 2 of my opponents said something to the effect of "that was very honorable of you, I will honor you for that". Now in any other game mode I wouldn't think twice about it, but in the upper echelons of Dominion we pretty much all know each other, and will face each other regularly, and i felt compelled to honor them back, just because they honored me. I didn't want to be "that guy who doesn't honor back", silly i know.

My question is, what is the etiquette here?

(fyi, for those curious, i didn't honor them. I most likely will do so in the future, but that is because they are awesome people in general)

dirtpoor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

Woo hoo I got my first honor. From some random enemy player. I see people acting way cooler in games so far. But I havent played a lot.

Torimino

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by malganis99 View Post
So, could being good lead to raging? Was this taken into account? Will tribunal be enough to discourage this?
Taken into account? My guess is that it's highly unlikely on a large scale. If someone feels entitled to go off on someone because "look at my honor!", they are still reportable (which could lead to said honor being reset).

HolyChalice

10-02-2012

Silly Americans it's spelled Honour.

dirtpoor

10-02-2012

I think I might have an interesting concept to add to this. To make each game judged by the game. As in if you are a decent player you get to vote who to give the points to. If you are a bad egg you dont. And an end game voting meta proccess displays this. So people who get 3+ votes to give a game show this to all players at the end. Badeggs /mechanic-abusers get a big fat red X. This adds to the effect of it all as badeggs visually see themselves getting left out of an end game process.

So in the end everyone visually sees where the votes go and it becomes a much more shocking experience in terms of positive and negative reinforcement.

Just now I had a game where I was the only one on my team with kills. All other 4 people had zero. The enemy had 3 people that did really good. So I rewarded noone on my team and gave out 3 votes for the 3 good enemies. I want a end game divvy visual to rub it in my underperforming teammates noses without ever having to actually say anything lol.

I just feel everyone would feel much more empowered if they saw all the magic happening.

Although, I LOVE IT AS IT IS so far!

RathHunter

10-02-2012

I like the idea, Riot; now instead of just bad behavior being reported, better behavior will be acknowledged as well. It is always nice to let people know good playing behavior is appreciated by your fellow summoners.

kotabear4400

10-02-2012

put the honorables up with more honorables in queue? seems like it would be great for the nice people to play with other nice people while the scumbags can keep playing with their fellow members of the scumbag community to argue all game

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-02-2012
42 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDaAzn View Post
I'm not afraid of being banned or getting into trouble, because I am doing what is right, and giving appreciation to the honorable community.

What I am afraid of..

is running out and not being able to honor up a player in my later games, that really deserves it, but I can't because I used it up on some of the players previously.
Unless you are clearly abusing Honor (such as giving it to 9 players every game), it's pretty difficult to run out. Responsible players really have nothing to worry about here. I've been watching data on this one closely and if players are running out when they genuinely should be giving out Honor, I'll just bump up the number of Honor people acquire in their bank.

Eurechel

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpoor View Post
Perhaps you should stick to bot games more or play a game without pvp. If you do something wrong and dont apologize people are going to get mad at you when it involves pvp. Especially when you start getting to the 500+ wins area and you still make basic, remedial mistakes without apologizing. Easy ways to dissolve a grumpy teammate that is focusing on your failed gameplay; ignore them or say sorry. Sorry for being brutally honest.

Sincerely,
A normal solo queue try-hard
I think you misunderstood me there. Everyone gets trolled at some time or another. When I make mistakes I do apologize, sometimes that helps, and sometimes it doesn't. Honestly I just ignore most comments if they aren't warranted (that's often the most constructive option after a point). I just think there are people who would be interested in a better atmosphere and it would high on their priority list. My comment about a troll breathing down my neck was also somewhat misleading. It may or may not be me who is the focus, and it still bothers me. I can't make people change, and really I have no right to, but it would be nice if I didn't have to play with them. I think this honor system might be a way to move in that direction.

blazn64

10-02-2012

RIOT PLEASE LISTEN, perhaps create a matchmaking option that allows players to choose to have their match made based on honor. Therefore, players can then decide for themselves if they want a game based on honor or elo. Then you can analyze the data and statistics and decide what to do from there.