Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ReaverKing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

AHA!! I GOT IT!!

Since Riot changed the refer-a-friend system to omit the "free trip to Riot HQ"...

Might I suggest a possible reward for the first Summoner to be granted Honour by 10,000 different players?

That's a damn sight easier than convincing 10,000 people to play the game to L5.

By the way, how many people successfully earned that trip?

Sebastianthefrog

10-02-2012

Hey Lyte,

I just wanted to voice my appreciation for the honour system! I kinda feel I was one of those guys who was danceing the line between toxic and honourable, and I wanted to say that the honour system really tipped me over to the light side! In response to the fact that some people are dissapointed at the lack of "incentive", I'd like to point you too a study conducted by Ruth W. grant and jeremy sugarmen. What I feel is that simply being acknowleged for good behavior is fine on its own; Generally unless a reward reaches some sort of personal threshold, the majority of the pleasure in receiving it comes from being acknowledged for good form (DISCLAIMER: I am an Eco student, not a psychology student, that wasnt said with any sort of authority :P) .

Just a small question Lyte. And let me introduce this question with an anecdote.

Yeah, I'm human. I do rage. I try to keep it at bare minimum and I'm getting better, but sometimes I may of just had a bad/stressful day and I do lose it. Worst thing is, sometimes I cant even rationalise it as the other guys faults, as if I look back at logs sometimes I'm the aggressor. But I'm improving and the honour system has helped tremendously, but my question is if I just lash out in one game out of a hundred, will this FULLY undo all my accumulated honour? I'd feel even worse about rageing if I'd know that it ruined games of good work.

But anyway, that wont detract from good behavior for me. Again, thanks again for the system, I literally saw the change as soon it was implemented. I Havent had a rager all day, and people are just generally polite. And I don't think thats just lucky matchmaking.

P.S heres the study I talked about
http://www.waisman.wisc.edu/events/e...mpensation.pdf

Belfaux

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

I think the honor system is great and the concept behind it is pretty cool. I know as of now
the honor system is just in some sort of testing phase.

For future use of this system why don't we have some sort if honor elo where
people with high honor are matched together. I think this can be the biggest reward
for players rather than giving them IP, RP, Skins or any material prize since for me
a genuinely good and fun game is hard to come by.

Example of this would be like

people with less than 50 honor are queued together more often

then 50 - 100, 100 -150 etc...

just a small pitch

LiegeWaffles

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
You'll be able to see the total counts of Honor you got in your Summoner Profile.
I think you're displaying the "absolute" honor in the profile, but wouldn't it be better to display "honor ratio" there?
Someone getting 10 honor over 10 games IMHO is more honorable than someone getting 15 honor over 200 games, but to most the latter will look more honorable.
(I'm sure programs will pop up to quickly lookup "honor points" of the 4 people you're in champion select with and to some people low absolute honor points might be a queue dodge reason...)

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-02-2012
36 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastianthefrog View Post
Hey Lyte,

I just wanted to voice my appreciation for the honour system! I kinda feel I was one of those guys who was danceing the line between toxic and honourable, and I wanted to say that the honour system really tipped me over to the light side! In response to the fact that some people are dissapointed at the lack of "incentive", I'd like to point you too a study conducted by Ruth W. grant and jeremy sugarmen. What I feel is that simply being acknowleged for good behavior is fine on its own; Generally unless a reward reaches some sort of personal threshold, the majority of the pleasure in receiving it comes from being acknowledged for good form (DISCLAIMER: I am an Eco student, not a psychology student, that wasnt said with any sort of authority :P) .

Just a small question Lyte. And let me introduce this question with an anecdote.

Yeah, I'm human. I do rage. I try to keep it at bare minimum and I'm getting better, but sometimes I may of just had a bad/stressful day and I do lose it. Worst thing is, sometimes I cant even rationalise it as the other guys faults, as if I look back at logs sometimes I'm the aggressor. But I'm improving and the honour system has helped tremendously, but my question is if I just lash out in one game out of a hundred, will this FULLY undo all my accumulated honour? I'd feel even worse about rageing if I'd know that it ruined games of good work.

But anyway, that wont detract from good behavior for me. Again, thanks again for the system, I literally saw the change as soon it was implemented. I Havent had a rager all day, and people are just generally polite. And I don't think thats just lucky matchmaking.

P.S heres the study I talked about
http://www.waisman.wisc.edu/events/e...mpensation.pdf
The Tribunal only detects players who are consistently toxic across their games; so, I wouldn't worry about losing all of your Honor because of a rare outburst. We understand that everyone has bad days at work (or bad days in League!) and sometimes have an outburst. However, we're going to keep thinking of ways to prevent these outbursts from happening.

Jigggy

10-02-2012

i give honor to people who earn it, not who ask for it

LiegeWaffles

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaux View Post
For future use of this system why don't we have some sort if honor elo where
people with high honor are matched together. I think this can be the biggest reward
for players rather than giving them IP, RP, Skins or any material prize since for me
a genuinely good and fun game is hard to come by.
That runs into the same problem as matchmaking based on tribunal status: constantly matching non-honorable players with other non-honorable players isn't exactly going to make their behaviour more honorable.

@Lyte: it would be interesting to see if roles played affect honor. For ex. do supports get more honor than the other roles?

mybayarea

10-02-2012

I was actually talking to some of my friends about something like this

QuoBi

10-02-2012

What if people don't honor me because I'm ugly :'(

Delicious Donut

10-02-2012

I can't bothered to read 70 pages to see if this has been asked yet, but is it possible to view other players' honor, or is it something only you can see? If it's the latter, I don't see the point...