Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeadlyTricks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xFADE View Post
Guardsman bob should like this. He often talked about how positive reinforcement is much better then the tribunals negative.
But there is no reinforcement here. You are just getting the equivalent of a mini e card saying gj every time you're nice. It's nothing substantial therefore it's a neutral reinforcement not a positive. Riot you are going to extinguish the behavior your seeking by being on the fence about this. Either take the idea all the way or don't bother.

ReaverKing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

I can't wait to see how this system turns out.

We're more than past due for a "prosocial reporting system".

While I'm a bit gaurded about whether this system really will have its intended effect I truly hope that this system will help identify players who are positive influences on the community. If used as intended the system will, in time, identify truly "popular" players at least and maybe, if it works, it might be a way to help create a healther in-game experience for other positive players.

It'll also be interesting to see what the toxic players do with the honour system since they can only get it from others in secret and can only give it away themselves. I can REALLY tell that my account has been subject to blanket spamming of "unskilled player" by trolls, griefers, plain old jerks and the the rest of their ilk innumerable times because its one more thing they can do to hurt another player. I'm wondering how that tendency will affect a system that supposedly only does something positive for other players and abuse of the system (say toxic players rewarding eachother) will show up in the data and will lead to sanctions... eventually.

Now my one BIG question is:

what can Riot do to make high honour desirable without encouraging people to try to "game" the system?

Silver Napalm

10-01-2012

I like the idea of an "Honor" system, but I don't like the way it seems to be leading. Giving certain perks for having higher honor unbalances gameplay unless these bonuses are to IP income/ discounts on RP. I would prefer to see the system used for Queing in Ranked Solo/Duo. Using the system to help match players with similar honor would be a way to match players of similar skill and ability after hitting 30 and it would prevent most trolls from ruining Ques in the 1000+ range of ranked. Just my 2 cents here...

ReaverKing

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyTricks View Post
But there is no reinforcement here. You are just getting the equivalent of a mini e card saying gj every time you're nice. It's nothing substantial therefore it's a neutral reinforcement not a positive. Riot you are going to extinguish the behavior your seeking by being on the fence about this. Either take the idea all the way or don't bother.
Reinforcement doesn't always have to be a cookie every time you do your homework.

Seeing a number go up or the "little e-card" from other players telling you they enjoyed playing with you is more than enough if it makes you desire more.

And if you don't happen to desire non-material rewards, then too bad. I don't think this system is designed to appeal to people with those tendencies.

ReaverKing

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Napalm View Post
I like the idea of an "Honor" system, but I don't like the way it seems to be leading. Giving certain perks for having higher honor unbalances gameplay unless these bonuses are to IP income/ discounts on RP. I would prefer to see the system used for Queing in Ranked Solo/Duo. Using the system to help match players with similar honor would be a way to match players of similar skill and ability after hitting 30 and it would prevent most trolls from ruining Ques in the 1000+ range of ranked. Just my 2 cents here...
I don't see "honor" tracking in any way with "skill" if used as intended. Now using honour as a "compliment" to ELO might bear some fruit but highly competitive (and therefore likely to be higher ELO) players might actually wind up with less honour than players at lower ELOs (in my mind).

Right now I think Riot is just collecting data and I'm really interested in what they are going to find. I wouldn't be surprised if the players working hardest to "earn" honour right now are mostly trying to game the system while its still new and untested.

LordRandomness

10-01-2012

I was going to say "Damn, Lyte, you get **** done fast". Then it dawned on me that this thought was probably the result of better PR management (you mentioned Honor not long ago and when it was getting close to release-ready rather than at its inception). It's good to see you guys are getting the hang of when to do announcements for the best effect! (Er, or you DID ship it super fast, in which case good job for that too )

Rueian

10-01-2012

i'm confused right now.
pre-'honor system release' : Reported near every game
post-'honor system release' : gain honor near every game.
no change in behavior.
Honor 0:2:3:2
7 honor gained out of 7 games played today.
premade for only 2 of the games.
Soooo confused... am i a bad person or not community?

Torimino

10-01-2012

If I may make a suggestion: I think our match history should show the honor we received that game. I think it would be nice to see

RenegadeTQ

10-02-2012

Is there a cap to each honor section? In the pic all of them are set to 100.

Edit: posting above Lyte

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-02-2012
35 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyVirus View Post
Does that percentage relate to new games played after the implementation of the Honour system? Since it would be unfair to have that percentage system on player who already have a **** load of wins.
Yes, it's only normalized against games after the Honor Initiative was launched.