Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerglinator

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyte View Post
It was more of a joke, but it actually happened lol
Are you Lyte's evil clone?

Ghan04

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragull2 View Post
I'm disappointed, I was expecting some kind of system where it would increase the chance of playing with people I would honor.

For example, I honer person x, person x honors me, if we match up in a random game, we would be on the same team.
I think it might be dangerous to incorporate Honor into the matchmaking system. You could potentially end up having worse games as a result since the match would be based less on skill. That could mean less positive games in the long run, which would obviously be completely opposite of what Team Player Behavior is trying to do here.

Praetor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
There's several problems here:

Having been immersed in the field of neuroscience and psychology, I'm very familiar with the studies you are alluding to. However, you lack major pieces of information. For example, do you know how intrinsic versus extrinsic rewards influence behaviors? Which one is more likely to encourage permanent change?

Compare the following: Who would the system identify if we announced tangible rewards? Is this the same population that the current system (without rewards) would identify today? If these two populations are different, why would we choose one over the other?

Secondly, this is game development. It's not a lab where we can control every variable. This is the difference between academia and industry. Players will try to abuse the system and unexpected behaviors will be born. The key is iteration. In a perfect world, you assign a team of 20 machine learners and predictive modelers to try to predict every possible outcome of the Honor Initiative, then launch everything at once and no iterations are required and the system is perfect. Is that reasonable? No.

You have to work on these systems and iterate over time. Release features. Collect data. Analyze data. Iterate. Collect data. Analyze data. Re-iterate. Repeat. It's how a scientist would do it and at Team Player Behavior, this is how we do it.
Extrinsic can lead to intrinsic. Iterations after iterations, seems like a buzzword among the industry you chose to make your living in these past few years. I often wonder which field of study gave rise to this buzzword/method. Perhaps it's just a good method to develop video games. Perhaps it's just a buzzword. At any rate, the only thing that matters are results. No one can argue with results.

Cooldude1234

10-01-2012

What about matching players with high honor with and against players with high honor as well. I assume people with high honor as a lot less likely to be trolls/leavers etc. So it would be great for match making to not have to worry about getting stuck with a troll/leaver etc.

Praetor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Love these videos. One day, I want to make one with data and insights about League of Legends behavior. I can dream
Which is why I am suspect of this program, moreso than appreciative.

Pepperpwni

10-01-2012

I'm really happy about this. In addition to the ranking system in the Tribunal, you guys are doing a great job of trying to cultivate a positive playing environment. Perhaps there will be fewer "GG NOOBS" at the end of matches... among other things.

MathMage

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
He is not my professor, past or present. He did chuckle, and then, what I didn't tell you, he went on to explain a few studies conducted in the 1970s, 80s, 90s, and on a few he's been keeping up with fairly recently. Most of the conversation was brief and a tad over my head, but the chuckle was nice to hear. I was promptly pleased to hear the chuckle, as that was my response and being vastly uneducated in the field of psychology. Then, after it was explained very briefly, I was more shocked that this was greenlit, an experiment on a customer base, but I was assured it happens often, to which I was more disgusted. Also, Howard Hughes was a great man. I hope you appreciate his philanthropic pursuits, as well as his condition.

In a world without incentives, we may have utopia. In a world with incentives, we may have utopia as well. One thing is for certain, the governments lacking incentives also lack a positive outlook when they're easily viewed among the trash heap of history.
Well, let's see. Did you actually link him to the page and to this thread, or did you just pass along your own half-baked conception of how this works? Because as far as I can tell, the fundamental problem here is not that the Honor system is broken, but that you don't understand what its aims are or how it is being implemented over time.

Also, if you're disgusted by the idea of experimenting on a customer base, when there are no detrimental effects (it's not like we're handing out dangerous experimental drugs here), then your moral compass bewilders me.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-01-2012
20 of 81 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfamous View Post
Lyte, what happens if I'm playing with friends who are much lower skilled than I am, but they continuously honor me? will either of us see a ban or suspension coming our way?

I wonder because I am always trying to help friends over skype and such, so it might seem like they are just trying to send me honor for no reason.
No bans will be handed out for something like this; however, you won't get full value out of their Honor.

Sarkhon

10-01-2012

So, you introduce a system to honor teammates for good behavior with no actual incentive other than some "points" and an "honor rating" to inspire people to be honorable? Good in theory, but being honorable is not equivalent to achievement grinding. If there is nothing of value to be gained by being honorable other than a score, trolls are still going to be trolls.

Good idea, but really, bad implementation. You want to give players a reason to go above and beyond. The players who are already "honorable" by nature have nothing to gain from this, so they aren't really being rewarded, and the people who would change their behavior based on this new program have nothing to achieve, so really... what are you accomplishing?

Holy Malevolence

10-01-2012

Can you add a report option stating that they told you to honor them?
I feel it's at least as valid as "Unskilled player". And it wouldn't have to effect anything.