Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Compete with Honor!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Praetor

10-01-2012

Quote:
FancySalmon:
Oh, of course they will SAY it is their intention, but let's be real. Others have already established more eloquently than I that, unless the Honor system offers a constant, continuous reward for those players that need significant incentive to be decent and respectable, toxic players have no reason to change. Even then, that kind of reward would only cheapen the system as toxic players faked their behavior to get their reward. That's the quickest way for the system to become ineffective and irrelevant. Respectable players must actually approve of the system for it to work to promote respectable play, not the toxic players out only for the incentive.

The easy comparison is the change to the Tribunal rewards system. Riot found that those players who wanted to impact the game in a positive manner would do it of their own accord, while those with false intentions were attracted to the IP bonuses, and muddled the system.

I am not pleased because you agree with me, but I am pleased you understand the point being made.

Wonshikee

10-01-2012

Quote:
FancySalmon:
Oh, of course they will SAY it is their intention, but let's be real. Others have already established more eloquently than I that, unless the Honor system offers a constant, continuous reward for those players that need significant incentive to be decent and respectable, toxic players have no reason to change. Even then, that kind of reward would only cheapen the system as toxic players faked their behavior to get their reward. That's the quickest way for the system to become ineffective and irrelevant. Respectable players must actually approve of the system for it to work to promote respectable play, not the toxic players out only for the incentive.

The easy comparison is the change to the Tribunal rewards system. Riot found that those players who wanted to impact the game in a positive manner would do it of their own accord, while those with false intentions were attracted to the IP bonuses, and muddled the system.

Who cares if their behaviour is fake - you think an online game is going to change the personality of a person? Long as the game is less toxic, I'm all for it.

Battalrin

10-01-2012

what a great way to encourage people to be team players in ranked game, hat tip to you riot

LouisLeGros

10-01-2012

I got the message

"Your fellow Summoners have honored you for your recent exemplary behavior!

[+2] Teamwork

Learn more about the Honor Initiative"

I checked my profile and saw nothing.

Praetor

10-01-2012

Quote:
Wonshikee:
Who cares if their behaviour is fake - you think an online game is going to change the personality of a person? Long as the game is less toxic, I'm all for it.

Exactly.

iamtree

10-01-2012

I feel that this opens the door for Riot to do even more! Consider development theory for young adults. With this new system, Riot could consider pairing teams up to create educational opportunities for development. For example, imagine a helpful player and a friendly player being paired with a player recently judged on the Tribunal. It's could create a learning opportunity for that player and help them develop as a player and an individual. Crazy right?

Hak3n

10-01-2012

Quote:
Praetor:
I'll tell you what will happen with zero incentive: not what you want as a company. Have you never studied psychology, even in its remedial form? If you answered yes, for shame for shipping this feature this way. If you answered no, I thought so.

"I will never be honored, so im gona qq and try to find flaws on your system"

pyramideye89

10-01-2012

sounds useless.
why would people trade a nonvaluble thing

MathMage

10-01-2012

Quote:
Praetor:
When I try something, anything, I try hard. When a successful company with reportedly successful executives try something, anything, I am certain they try just as hard if not harder. Why you don't attempt to hit it out of the park on phase one is beyond me.

You are misunderstanding my point. You can have a broad set of overall goals for the entire system...and still have a different set of goals that you seek to accomplish with Phase 1. And you can hit it out of the park with respect to those particular goals, without seeking to hit it out of the park with respect to the broad overall goals.

Then, too, a greedy algorithm might not be the best solution here--that is, optimizing the system in terms of those broad overall goals at every step isn't necessarily the best way to reach those goals.

Quote:
Praetor:
If you don't mind, you'll have to excuse yourself from the conversation I am attempting to have at the behest of this fine upstanding Riot employee, per his/her request.

If you don't mind, I'll talk how I please to whom I please about what I please, and you can't do a damn thing about it.

Covaxe

10-01-2012

I really like this feature and love what you're doing Lyte, I never really noticed Riot interacting with the community that much, maybe cause I'm not in the forums enough. But now when I go on the dev tracker I see you responding quite a lot.