Compete with Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shadowy1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
A person that acts as though they're a "good" person is more apt to become said "good" person, due to habit and the such. It takes ~10 weeks to develop a healthy habit, after all.
Yes, habit has value as well, but like in ELO, I've noticed a lot of people wait until the rewards are announced before they try to climb the solo queue ladder to get the reward. These people are not the normal high ELO players who get there and stay there due to high level of play, they attempt to game the system simply to get the reward. By placing a reward on the honor system people would attempt to get around it simply to get the reward, or put in the baseline behavior needed to get the reward then stop. So unless you offer a constant reward, you don't have a reason to stay good for the 10 weeks or so. And if they offer a constant reward then people will just see it as bribing people to be good, which was a criticism of the honor system when it was first mentioned.

Scarey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2012

I am very glad to see this implemented!

Out of curiosity Lyte, do you have anything in place to specifically prevent people from begging or spamming for honor? Obviously, someone repeatedly doing so can easily be reported for spamming. But is there any negative consequence in the honor system for begging for honor?

DiscworldDeath

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Don't worry! We've taken a lot of extra measures to prevent premade abuse. In fact, we even normalize the data such that if you play 1000 games, you don't necessarily have an Honor advantage over someone who plays only 100 games.

The Honor Initiative recognizes stuff like the source of your Honor (random players give you the most value!) and the percentage (and not the raw number!) of games that you are Honorable in.
What about people in the extreme ends of the Elo spectrum?

I mostly play Dominion at relatively high normal Elo thresholds. I play mostly with and against the same people, and many of them are on my friend-list. Does the system account for how often you meet the same people, which might result in more giving and receiving honour from the same people?

ArcheonSF

10-01-2012

Not sure if it was a coincidence, but i just had one of the most pleasant games I have ever had on LoL.

Taikero

10-01-2012

I'm interested to see where this system goes. I'd almost be hopeful that maintaining a certain threshold of honor (e.g. if honor decayed over each game played) would potentially grant a "passive" form of IP or RP gain, or some other increase not readily apparent.

ARainySundae

10-01-2012

Good News indeed

Excalicur7

10-01-2012

Nice Idea will greatly help to reconize positive players

ARainySundae

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheonSF View Post
Not sure if it was a coincidence, but i just had one of the most pleasant games I have ever had on LoL.
Same here man

NTNDOChamp

10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
If you don't find value in the Phase 1 of the Honor Initiative, then don't take part. We've infused a lot of psychology into the system and there's a reason why we aren't talking about rewards for Phase 1.

If you want to have a constructive discussion about it, we should talk about research where people are told they will receive tangible rewards for doing a task versus the surprise of receiving something for doing a task.
I know that kind of research. It's awesome stuff. Good job! I think it's covered in books like "Drive" and "Predictably Irrational".

Xathrian

10-01-2012

I almost exclusively play with a full team of friends. Does this mean that I'll be gimping my chances to receive honor by only having the opportunity for my opponents to honor me? Obviously the system to keep friends from constantly honoring each other is an important one to have, but I doubt I'll be able to properly reflect my generally positive in-game attitude if all I have are my enemies.

Is this not something you consider significant?