(Custom Champ) Cerule, the Mystic Mermaid

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nhan Fiction

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RlCE FARMER View Post
Fund it!

Knight Escorien

11-05-2012

[B]I will not tell you how to make your champion better- rather I will identify what I consider to be items of concern within this champion design. I will leave the rest to you.[/B}

Passive- Aquatic Assault: An on-hit passive that is deceptively strong. It's a balanceable passive, but it removes any kind of play an opponent has with standing in minions. Teamfight strength is questionable, considering the only ranged AP that autoattacks often is Twisted Fate (Orianna's better off casting spells as is Kennen).

Q- Tidal Wave: The range is consistent, but as worded the AoE increases with rank- which effectively increases its range. This is something that you need to be wary of- very few abilities gain RANGE as they level, and most of them are ultimates (Nocturne's Paranoia, Kog's Living Artillery). It's not good for the player and it's not good for the opponent.

The damage has a decent base, and the mana cost and cooldown are high, which is understandable given the strength of the ability. My concern is that the base damage at early ranks is too high- 130 is A LOT, even with a 1 second delay.

Being able to cast it while moving is something that is a bit bothersome, especially for a displacement ability, but it doesn't happen immediately either, so that's a good counterbalance. Casting it on yourself is also a nice touch.

W- Bubble Barrier/Bubble Burst: Shield has a long cooldown at all ranks. Given its dual nature, that's good. It's not good enough to justify a 100 point shield at rank 1- Diana, Lux, and situationally Blitz are the only ones that do, and they each have a hoop to go through to get it. Shielding turrets is cute, but given the non-shield component(detonatable knockback) it's not really something that adds to the ability. The scaling knockback is something I don't like for the same reason I don't like the length of Tidal Wave increasing. Being able to pop it during Whirpool IS sneaky, clever, and works well, though. Kudos on that.

E-Whirlpool: Cool ability in concept. Short range, fun to setup with other abilities to maximize it's strength, and the damage is alright but not impressive, especially considering you have to sit and channgel it. Once again, another long cooldown ability.

R- Cascade Crush- I like that it helps set up your other spells, and being stunned when the waves come together makes sense.

That's on a per ability basis- now let's look at this champion as a whole.

She can do a lot of clever things with her abilities, and I'd like to see ANY of them on a league champion- but not all on one. Having four abilities that affect positioning on a single champion is a problem- if her damage is good, she gets played as a mage. If she doesn't have damage, then she gets played as a support who has more utility than any other support released. She has a pushback, a knockback, a slow field that's also a pull, a shield, and a decently sized AOE CC.

Not only that, but because Cerule has all of this utility and displacement- and you seem to be aware of this- as a result her cooldowns are insanely long, whether you're going by mage or support standards.

For some champions- like Alistar and Leona- this approach works because they get in there are start rumbling it up and feel like the tanks they need to be- with their long base cooldowns, they feel good about themselves. With ranged mages/supports, though, long cooldowns from distance feel bad unless incredibly impactful(read: Borderline OP, such as Astral Blessing/Howling Gale), because they are left with little to do.

All of Cerule's basic abilities more or less have the exact same cooldown (14 scaling to 10, and two that are 16 scaling to 12). There's no variety because the nature of her abilities don't allow it due to having so much power in their nondamaging aspects. Without completely replacing an ability, she doesn't really have many knobs to tweak- sure, there's a lot of numbers all over her kit, but many of them AREN'T ones that are easy to tweak without ruining the feel of the ability its on.

I hope that what I have written has helped you gain a little more insight.

Nhan Fiction

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escorien View Post
[B]I will not tell you how to make your champion better- rather I will identify what I consider to be items of concern within this champion design. I will leave the rest to you.[/B}

Passive- Aquatic Assault: An on-hit passive that is deceptively strong. It's a balanceable passive, but it removes any kind of play an opponent has with standing in minions. Teamfight strength is questionable, considering the only ranged AP that autoattacks often is Twisted Fate (Orianna's better off casting spells as is Kennen).

Q- Tidal Wave: The range is consistent, but as worded the AoE increases with rank- which effectively increases its range. This is something that you need to be wary of- very few abilities gain RANGE as they level, and most of them are ultimates (Nocturne's Paranoia, Kog's Living Artillery). It's not good for the player and it's not good for the opponent.

The damage has a decent base, and the mana cost and cooldown are high, which is understandable given the strength of the ability. My concern is that the base damage at early ranks is too high- 130 is A LOT, even with a 1 second delay.

Being able to cast it while moving is something that is a bit bothersome, especially for a displacement ability, but it doesn't happen immediately either, so that's a good counterbalance. Casting it on yourself is also a nice touch.

W- Bubble Barrier/Bubble Burst: Shield has a long cooldown at all ranks. Given its dual nature, that's good. It's not good enough to justify a 100 point shield at rank 1- Diana, Lux, and situationally Blitz are the only ones that do, and they each have a hoop to go through to get it. Shielding turrets is cute, but given the non-shield component(detonatable knockback) it's not really something that adds to the ability. The scaling knockback is something I don't like for the same reason I don't like the length of Tidal Wave increasing. Being able to pop it during Whirpool IS sneaky, clever, and works well, though. Kudos on that.

E-Whirlpool: Cool ability in concept. Short range, fun to setup with other abilities to maximize it's strength, and the damage is alright but not impressive, especially considering you have to sit and channgel it. Once again, another long cooldown ability.

R- Cascade Crush- I like that it helps set up your other spells, and being stunned when the waves come together makes sense.

That's on a per ability basis- now let's look at this champion as a whole.

She can do a lot of clever things with her abilities, and I'd like to see ANY of them on a league champion- but not all on one. Having four abilities that affect positioning on a single champion is a problem- if her damage is good, she gets played as a mage. If she doesn't have damage, then she gets played as a support who has more utility than any other support released. She has a pushback, a knockback, a slow field that's also a pull, a shield, and a decently sized AOE CC.

Not only that, but because Cerule has all of this utility and displacement- and you seem to be aware of this- as a result her cooldowns are insanely long, whether you're going by mage or support standards.

For some champions- like Alistar and Leona- this approach works because they get in there are start rumbling it up and feel like the tanks they need to be- with their long base cooldowns, they feel good about themselves. With ranged mages/supports, though, long cooldowns from distance feel bad unless incredibly impactful(read: Borderline OP, such as Astral Blessing/Howling Gale), because they are left with little to do.

All of Cerule's basic abilities more or less have the exact same cooldown (14 scaling to 10, and two that are 16 scaling to 12). There's no variety because the nature of her abilities don't allow it due to having so much power in their nondamaging aspects. Without completely replacing an ability, she doesn't really have many knobs to tweak- sure, there's a lot of numbers all over her kit, but many of them AREN'T ones that are easy to tweak without ruining the feel of the ability its on.

I hope that what I have written has helped you gain a little more insight.
Thank you for taking the time to write a well-written analysis.

I will acknowledge that some of the numbers may not be perfect at the moment, which is why I always throw the disclaimer with my champions that the numbers are second to the concept.

And in terms of concept, I also will admit that this Cerule has many radical ideas for a lone character to have. However, I earnestly believe that with enough adjustments in the number department, it could all work just fine.

After all, one of the important things I wanted to do with Cerule was make sure she would fill a niche, which I think a displacement mage/support would be something you couldn't say a lot of other characters are.

But yeah, if you are interested in helping me with the numbers, please do so in the champ post itself on LoL Wiki in the comments. I hope to get more people to spark a conversation as to what numbers to increase/decrease and other aspects to modify.

Thanks for sharing your two cents. ^^

Nhan Fiction

11-05-2012

Attachment 553445

Added new art by B1uesketch.

Nhan Fiction

11-05-2012

Makeup/cosplay tutorial for Cerule - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0FVcrLHKQE.

Nhan Fiction

11-06-2012

Bubbly.

Nhan Fiction

11-06-2012

Always looking for more art and whatnot.

Nhan Fiction

11-07-2012

Cool blue.

Nhan Fiction

11-07-2012

Always looking for suggestions on number tweaks as well.

Nhan Fiction

11-07-2012

Streamline!