Best early game champion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Malkontent69

09-28-2012

Out of curiosity, I was wondering who you guys think is the best champion for the early game (ie, laning phase), and what makes them good at it. I ask because that seems to be where I tend to have the most trouble and die the most frequently. Also, if you have any general tips for that part of the game, they would also be much appreciated.

Aureline

09-28-2012

Hmm. Pretty loaded question.

Blitz is a decent early-game because of his grab. Teemo for the stealth and the damage on his Q and E, LeBlanc for sheer poke, Ryze also for poke, Yorick because of all of his stupid little ghosties.

And as for early game laning tips, it depends which lane you're looking at.

Arnold Norris

09-28-2012

Varus, his q has probably the best "pokeability"in the game. Yorick is pretty good too.

Aureline

09-28-2012

Nidalee's spears hurt early game, if you're good at slow skillshots. :P

KeanuCleaves

09-28-2012

What roles are you thinking about and how early game? Like pre-6?

For ADC I think Cait is really strong early laning due to her huge poke range. I also think Graves is really strong early game with his ability to just stay in lane forever.

For support I think Blitz is pretty strong with his grab he can zone people out or really initiate early game fights well. After you get a few points in heal soraka is really awesome bot lane to just let your ADC farm up with your incredible sustain.

I think Alistar is a great early champ to jungle with given his insane ganking ability. I don't play ali support but I bet he's good there too with an aggressive early ADC.

Mid I like Morg for her great snare which can help a lot with early ganks and her ability to clear waves really fast.

Top I'm not very experienced. I think top is much more of a counter pick lane than others. For example udyr is pretty solid all around and has great damage with his tiger style. I went up against a teemo top and he zoned me really hard...

Aureline

09-28-2012

^ Username win.

thespiceoflife

09-28-2012

OP, can you specify which role you want advice for? The picks/info varies pretty largely based on the role you're curious about.

General advice for the early game is to make sure you last hit, watch the map to see where their jungle and other lanes are, and don't die. Can't really get more specific than that without knowing more about your question. Good luck!

Malkontent69

09-28-2012

Thanks for the advice! I've been trying to experiment with all of the roles so that I can be useful all around depending on what other people pick. Mostly I've been doing bottom lane since that seems to be picked least often, but I've also been trying mid and top as well as jungling. Bear in mind I'm only level 20 and most of my games so far have been against bots.

And yeah, I was thinking pre-level 6 or 7. Before the really heavy ganking starts.

Aureline

09-28-2012

Psst, add me in-game if you want to play some bot games, or try some Normal blind.

Top lane - Don't rush in and start auto-attacking minions. Select your last-hits lovingly. Maintain presence in the lane, though, or you might get zoned. It's a lot like alpha males fighting up there. If you back down at the wrong moment it could be seen as a sign of weakness.

Mid lane - This is just personal preference, but keep an eye on top and bot. You need to absolutely be watching for MIAs; map awareness on mid is key, because you're in the center of things, it can go south fast in a quadra-gank. Let the enemy push to your tower. Early game, a gank from your jungler can be fantastic.

Bot lane (adc) - Again, last-hitting is crucial. Focus on minions, not on harrassing - that's your support's job. Play passively until a gank is incoming.

Bot lane (support) - Don't ward the bush directly close to the lane, in the river. Ward kind of in front of the dragon pit, so that the entrance to the enemy blue (if you're blue team) is in there as well. Uhh. Get you GP/5 before your boots.

Jungler - Tricky one for me to give advice on, since a lot of time it depends on your champ. The thing I have trouble with early game jungling is knowing when to gank and when to focus on clearing camps to at least stay a little ahead in XP. Someone else may be better suited to help you here.

thespiceoflife

09-28-2012

For botlane, cait, mf, and draven have a particularly good early game compared to the rest of their game. corki, graves, and ez are pretty strong throughout the whole game and get picked very often as a result. vayne and ashe have rougher times in the lane compared to the rest of their game. it also depends on who you're playing against.

try one of those first 3 and see if it helps. as cait, you want to poke them with your auto attacks when they can't since you have more range. as draven, you wanna trade auto attacks early early on since your q does ridiculous damage compared to other lvl 1s. dunno how to play mf, personally.

good luck!