"Change is good." Where is my Republican champion, RIOT?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GhostDonkeys

Senior Member

10-02-2012

This thread was a bad idea =/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KineticSkink

Senior Member

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorHammerz View Post
um.... when they blame Bush for stupidly fcking up the American economy/foreign relations, you do know they do so rightfully? I'm Canadian, I have my healthcare. It is nothing like socialism here.

It's kind of sad how angry you are over such a trivial thing.... lets make something clear? Socialism =/= bad. What history has to show us about "socialism" can't even be called socialism itself. How can it, when the concept has been twisted beyond reckoning by the despots, into what is effectively just a dictatorship with some fancy words plastered over it?
Australia is getting along quite well despite having both a private health care system and a dirty commie health care system.

In Aus Republican are generally portrayed as complete nut cases. Yet to really see anything to indicate otherwise.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MeltedWater

Senior Member

10-03-2012

I say we get a champion that looks like Sarah Palin.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Happy Decoy

Senior Member

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtycatholic View Post
Look up Socialism, you'll find common ownership and if you don't see the similarities, then dont reply.
There is nothing resembling common ownership in the PPACA. Nothing. At all. Not even sort of. Republicans may not like regulatory bills, but screaming socialism when we tell insurers that they cannot simply drop clients when they get sick just makes the GOP, and you, look like idiots.

P.S. Romney came up with the core ideas of the PPACA, and signed them into law as governor.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arduous Kill

Member

10-03-2012

It saddens me to se that really, there hasnt been a single positive post in this whole thread. All i read is "republicans suck" and then "democrats suck" Really, all i can take away from this is that America sucks. Maybe i should move somewhere else, apparently people there actually like their system, instead of just blindly yelling at whatever isnt labeled under the party of their preference. When is the election where we get to choose between the greater of two goods, instead of the lesser of two evils? Im absolutely done with this petty, antagonistic political climate, and it doesnt look like theres anyone who has anything positive to say about anyone else in this country. Are we all really that full of hate?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

Senior Member

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduous Kill View Post
It saddens me to se that really, there hasnt been a single positive post in this whole thread. All i read is "republicans suck" and then "democrats suck" Really, all i can take away from this is that America sucks. Maybe i should move somewhere else, apparently people there actually like their system, instead of just blindly yelling at whatever isnt labeled under the party of their preference. When is the election where we get to choose between the greater of two goods, instead of the lesser of two evils? Im absolutely done with this petty, antagonistic political climate, and it doesnt look like theres anyone who has anything positive to say about anyone else in this country. Are we all really that full of hate?
The short and saddening answer is "Yes, we are that bad".

Longer version:
It has to do with a lot of things, primarily the polarization of the Republican party. They're not the best, but in the past the GOP was pretty good about being conservative. It wasn't always what was good for the country, but it was consistent with being conservative. The problem we have is that we have these Tea Party extremists who refuse to budge and refuse cooperate. If you check congressional voting records, you'll see a trend of "my way or the highway" votes from Tea Party officials. The worst part is that the moderate republicans have to cater to the Tea Party to get elected.

Hell, I used to think of myself as a conservative, but then the "right" just kept running further to the right until I was in the center and eventually on the left. They've gone so far off the deep end, it baffles my mind.

The deeper problem with this is the growing anti-intellectual movement, and the growing sensationalism of everything in America. These two things laid the groundwork for the Tea Party to get into power.

Anti-intellectual means that people don't think critically and are raised on bad information and cannot think their way out of it. They rely on "faith" and run campaigns that "will not be dictated by fact checkers".

Sensationalism means that moderates have minimal impact. I sort of blame hollywood for this in the way that reality TV and all of these crappy shows that are on now a days (don't get me wrong, some of the shows on are pretty cool, but they're hard to find). You need to have a shocking message to get people to pay attention to you. If you have a moderate and reasonable message, people don't pay attention. It's really quite sad. Compounded with anti-intellectualism, it means that people don't think about the message, they just "feel" it and they go on that gut feeling...which is usually just whomever shouts the loudest. Currently that shouting match is sort of between FOX and MSNBC. It's pretty retarded.

If you look at the news that gets broadcasted, you sort of weep. There was a meme floating around. It went something like "Curiosity: discovers evidence of water on Mars...Gets less coverage than Kardashians".

and it's goddamned true. That's the total culmination of those 2 things. Sensationalism and Anti-intellectualism. People are too goddamned dumb to know the significance of finding water on Mars, and because they're too dumb to know how amazing this is, it doesn't register in their retarded brains as "sensational" where as some retarded TV show about a bunch of rich, detached dip****s is more interesting to them.

It's also cleverly disguised by hollywood too. You hear about all of these casters and people who continue to report on how retarded these reality TV morons are. They don't hate them. They love these people making fools of themselves on TV. It rakes in ratings like crazy for some braindead reason (because people are too dumb to care about reality). In fact, reporting on how much you despise someone just gives them more face time. No publicity is bad publicity. If Hollywood really didn't like these people, they just would stop talking about them and let them fade into obscurity.

anyways, this got a lot longer and more ranty than I originally intended.

If we want to fix america, we need to fix what gets broadcast to our people and warping their minds. That means keeping news organizations from spreading lies, or preventing them from calling themselves "news" (looking at FOX here as the biggest perpetrator). It also means axing retarded reality TV shows which I shall not name as to not give them further publicity. Just kill the brainless shows about retarded people doing retarded things. And improve our education system. Instead promote more shows about smart people doing smart things and being goddamned amazing. Bones, House (even though I don't like the show), the new Sherlock thing, etc. Mother****ing intelligent people being awesome.

The last thing is that we need to start pulling intellectuals into office. We need to axe politicans. Why? Because the concept of politicians has become warped. If you want to go back to looking at founding fathers stuff, they were all great thinkers. They weren't just some douchy richkid who paid his way through Harvard for a law degree. No, they were smart people who were not just exceptional laywers, scientists, commanders, but also exceptional philosophers who really thought about the greater good, not just for America, but for the entire world. Today politics is all about manipulating other people and "winning elections" without regard to the consequences.

We need to get rid of politicians, and put in great thinkers. I'll vote for Neil De'Grasse Tyson or Michio Kaku over any of the clowns in office today (excepting Bill and Hillary Clinton, Ron Paul, and John Huntsman)...And if you don't know who Tyson and Kaku are...you're probably apart of the goddamned problem.

Like, I don't agree with everything that Clinton, Paul, and Huntsman stand for. But I can tell they put some goddamned thought into and aren't just some puppets with hands shoved up their asses.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mambazo

Senior Member

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
The short and saddening answer is "Yes, we are that bad".

Longer version:
It has to do with a lot of things, primarily the polarization of the Republican party. They're not the best, but in the past the GOP was pretty good about being conservative. It wasn't always what was good for the country, but it was consistent with being conservative. The problem we have is that we have these Tea Party extremists who refuse to budge and refuse cooperate. If you check congressional voting records, you'll see a trend of "my way or the highway" votes from Tea Party officials. The worst part is that the moderate republicans have to cater to the Tea Party to get elected.

Hell, I used to think of myself as a conservative, but then the "right" just kept running further to the right until I was in the center and eventually on the left. They've gone so far off the deep end, it baffles my mind.

The deeper problem with this is the growing anti-intellectual movement, and the growing sensationalism of everything in America. These two things laid the groundwork for the Tea Party to get into power.

Anti-intellectual means that people don't think critically and are raised on bad information and cannot think their way out of it. They rely on "faith" and run campaigns that "will not be dictated by fact checkers".

Sensationalism means that moderates have minimal impact. I sort of blame hollywood for this in the way that reality TV and all of these crappy shows that are on now a days (don't get me wrong, some of the shows on are pretty cool, but they're hard to find). You need to have a shocking message to get people to pay attention to you. If you have a moderate and reasonable message, people don't pay attention. It's really quite sad. Compounded with anti-intellectualism, it means that people don't think about the message, they just "feel" it and they go on that gut feeling...which is usually just whomever shouts the loudest. Currently that shouting match is sort of between FOX and MSNBC. It's pretty retarded.

If you look at the news that gets broadcasted, you sort of weep. There was a meme floating around. It went something like "Curiosity: discovers evidence of water on Mars...Gets less coverage than Kardashians".

and it's goddamned true. That's the total culmination of those 2 things. Sensationalism and Anti-intellectualism. People are too goddamned dumb to know the significance of finding water on Mars, and because they're too dumb to know how amazing this is, it doesn't register in their retarded brains as "sensational" where as some retarded TV show about a bunch of rich, detached dip****s is more interesting to them.

It's also cleverly disguised by hollywood too. You hear about all of these casters and people who continue to report on how retarded these reality TV morons are. They don't hate them. They love these people making fools of themselves on TV. It rakes in ratings like crazy for some braindead reason (because people are too dumb to care about reality). In fact, reporting on how much you despise someone just gives them more face time. No publicity is bad publicity. If Hollywood really didn't like these people, they just would stop talking about them and let them fade into obscurity.

anyways, this got a lot longer and more ranty than I originally intended.

If we want to fix america, we need to fix what gets broadcast to our people and warping their minds. That means keeping news organizations from spreading lies, or preventing them from calling themselves "news" (looking at FOX here as the biggest perpetrator). It also means axing retarded reality TV shows which I shall not name as to not give them further publicity. Just kill the brainless shows about retarded people doing retarded things. And improve our education system. Instead promote more shows about smart people doing smart things and being goddamned amazing. Bones, House (even though I don't like the show), the new Sherlock thing, etc. Mother****ing intelligent people being awesome.

The last thing is that we need to start pulling intellectuals into office. We need to axe politicans. Why? Because the concept of politicians has become warped. If you want to go back to looking at founding fathers stuff, they were all great thinkers. They weren't just some douchy richkid who paid his way through Harvard for a law degree. No, they were smart people who were not just exceptional laywers, scientists, commanders, but also exceptional philosophers who really thought about the greater good, not just for America, but for the entire world. Today politics is all about manipulating other people and "winning elections" without regard to the consequences.

We need to get rid of politicians, and put in great thinkers. I'll vote for Neil De'Grasse Tyson or Michio Kaku over any of the clowns in office today (excepting Bill and Hillary Clinton, Ron Paul, and John Huntsman)...And if you don't know who Tyson and Kaku are...you're probably apart of the goddamned problem.

Like, I don't agree with everything that Clinton, Paul, and Huntsman stand for. But I can tell they put some goddamned thought into and aren't just some puppets with hands shoved up their asses.
Post is full of win. I LOVE Tyson. But we know he'll never hold office. It fills me with despair. There is no solution to this problem short of a national meltdown of epic proportions.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Happy Decoy

Senior Member

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
We need to get rid of politicians, and put in great thinkers. I'll vote for Neil De'Grasse Tyson or Michio Kaku over any of the clowns in office today (excepting Bill and Hillary Clinton, Ron Paul, and John Huntsman)...And if you don't know who Tyson and Kaku are...you're probably apart of the goddamned problem.
Are we... dealing with a badass over here?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

Senior Member

10-03-2012

I think I found a much more concise way to put it:
A politician's primary skill has shifted from "making good policy decisions" to "manipulating crowds for votes". That's a goddamned problem.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThorHammerz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
I think I found a much more concise way to put it:
A politician's primary skill has shifted from "making good policy decisions" to "manipulating crowds for votes". That's a goddamned problem.
What's even more concerning, is that is only part of the overall problem with American politics. The power no longer rests with the people (as it should - afterall, you guys DO call yourself a "democracy", right?), but rather with those who have very, very deep pockets. Occupy-Wall-Street strike any bells? No, they are not mindless "terrorists", or people whose sole intent is to bring anarchy to the world. Their assertion of the 99% vs 1% is a bit of an exaggeration, but describes the situation pretty damn well nonetheless.

The term "democracy" has gone through some rather implicit changes in its definitions over the past couple centuries.... might as well call it an oligarchy/plutarchy now.