Do NOT buy the new Kha'Zix skin: Here's why

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ogmius

11-26-2012

Rage bump

NegaStoat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

Riot was in an interesting position. In the somewhat distant past they would release a new champ with 2 skins which lead to the larger percentage of players just buying the champ with IP, because 6300 IP would easily be racked up between champ releases.

Skins require RP to purchase, meaning Riot wasn't making much money on this situation, so they said "screwit" and applied resources only to have one skin available on champ release.

This still wasn't making them money so they tested the 1350 IP skin price with Kha'Zix but kept the champ bundle price the same. Strangely enough, this did make money as players saw they were getting the champ "almost for free" with that price of the bundle. It worked for me, as I bought it.

Anyway, the 1350 price WITH champ release with same bundle price was a good idea.

A 1350 price on an established champ with no bundle is... A failure of common sense.

ooglyphook

11-26-2012

Producing a skin is a one time cost that can be recouped an infinite number of times. The profit margin can increase an INFINITE number of times off of one product. Riots business model defies all traditional models- what you learned in business school does not apply.

There is no justification for the price increase besides a rationalization for greed and the OP is correct.

Endless Infinity

11-26-2012

Mecha Kha'Zhix IS WORTH the extra RP. Its a beautiful skin with lots of effects. I call it a " Semi-Legendary" Like Surprise Party Fiddles.

People need to stop *****ing. Don't like the skin, Don't buy it.

FrozenXylaphone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat View Post
Riot was in an interesting position. In the somewhat distant past they would release a new champ with 2 skins which lead to the larger percentage of players just buying the champ with IP, because 6300 IP would easily be racked up between champ releases.

Skins require RP to purchase, meaning Riot wasn't making much money on this situation, so they said "screwit" and applied resources only to have one skin available on champ release.

This still wasn't making them money so they tested the 1350 IP skin price with Kha'Zix but kept the champ bundle price the same. Strangely enough, this did make money as players saw they were getting the champ "almost for free" with that price of the bundle. It worked for me, as I bought it.

Anyway, the 1350 price WITH champ release with same bundle price was a good idea.

A 1350 price on an established champ with no bundle is... A failure of common sense.
Too bad that only works a few times. The more times it is done, the less you will think "oh I GET CHAMP FOR FREE!!". Because now you realize it is the standard price and you aren't actually getting anything for free.

Nocte Prime

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxxZCC4 View Post
Mecha Kha'Zhix IS WORTH the extra RP. Its a beautiful skin with lots of effects. I call it a " Semi-Legendary" Like Surprise Party Fiddles.

People need to stop *****ing. Don't like the skin, Don't buy it.
That whooshing sound you hear is the point of this thread and the reason people are bumping an old thread zooming right by your head.

NegaStoat

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooglyphook View Post
There is no justification for the price increase besides a rationalization for greed and the OP is correct.
Actually, there was a justification and I posted it a bit above yours. Again, the time between champion releases was becoming larger as new champs were given new kits which was requiring more and more time to perfect and feel "original".

The increased time between champion releases meant that far more players always had the spare 6300 IP lying around. They would simply buy the champ for free using IP, and Riot was seeing less actual money from champ releases from RP sales of skins and bundles.

Riot's posted this situation themselves. It's a hard reality of showing bottom lines of sales from fiscal quarters which are always compared to past sales, and it was showing a trend of a larger player base percentage spending less money.

It's not that hard to comprehend, really.

Nocte Prime

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat View Post
Actually, there was a justification and I posted it a bit above yours. Again, the time between champion releases was becoming larger as new champs were given new kits which was requiring more and more time to perfect and feel "original".

The increased time between champion releases meant that far more players always had the spare 6300 IP lying around. They would simply buy the champ for free using IP, and Riot was seeing less actual money from champ releases from RP sales of skins and bundles.

Riot's posted this situation themselves. It's a hard reality of showing bottom lines of sales from fiscal quarters which are always compared to past sales, and it was showing a trend of a larger player base percentage spending less money.

It's not that hard to comprehend, really.
They're also only releasing one new skin with new champs which lowers the amount of money they spend on new champs. So even if the new champs are being released every 3 weeks or so instead of every 2, any hit they take in revenue from that is offset by the costs they save by removing that 2nd skin.

Absozero

11-26-2012

Bump. No excuse for the greed that Riot shows with this price creep. We see it happening. We know it. Only the suckers will pay more for the overpriced skins. Riot is just hurting its Brand by failing to really commit to what they have started. I.E. no olympic skins/black friday sale, etc. The company is clearly turning into a "corporation" and it's obvious and not very desirable to me as a player.

Resilga

11-26-2012

Bought new skin. Love it.