Lux's Face Icon [With Solution]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dorotheus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhan View Post
What qualifies someone as a professional artist?
A degree?
Confidence?
Experience?
All of the above.

Sophitia

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
No, I'll let IronStylus do that because my aesthetic judgment is dumb and meaningless. It's an invalid discussion for me to have at all.

And, I will say, I do true professional artists more than non-artist to make calls on aesthetic quality.
What about the Sorceress art?... They could at least use the Chinese art for that. The sprite / in game skin for it is amazing, but the splash is very outdated, and doesn't even look like Lux anymore.

dustwind

Recruiter

09-27-2012

Every time I see Volibear's map icon, I see the head of qiraji lashers

Ravechaosknight

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeIron57 View Post
Maybe I am just reading the devtracker wrong...but is IronStylus even still alive?
lol, see my previous post. xD

LordArchanon

09-27-2012

For the record, I think the Chinese art for Lux's default skin is hideous and this one is much better (and she's my favorite characcter) so... as Morello says, opinions differ.

DrBleck

09-27-2012

Lux' facial expression in her Chinese splash art makes her look like she's been hit with a fit too many Trundleclubs.

Ravechaosknight

09-27-2012

Quote:
No, I'll let IronStylus do that because my aesthetic judgment is dumb and meaningless. It's an invalid discussion for me to have at all.

And, I will say, I do true professional artists more than non-artist to make calls on aesthetic quality.
Hmm, grammar gremlins are attacking Morello. Get some sleep if your going to tackle GD's shenanigans. lol

Ruincrear

09-27-2012

They didn't do it with Ahri. What about Ahri?

Baron Bodacious

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryl View Post
I dont know why they didn't just use the vastly superior original Chinese art. I mean just look at how much of an improvement that is over the version they just added.
Jesus. She looks like a make-upped, baggy eyed, street walking prostitute.
The current NA art is much much MUCH better in almost every respect. It shows off Lux's sunny attitude, her ability to control light (not magic sparkle fairy dust) and she doesn't look like like a used up hooker.

Kshatriya

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2012

Quote:
I agree with this specific problem a lot - a lot of what makes a good splash doesn't always translate into a good face icon. This causes a problem because you might have to make compromises to one or the other (in this case, Lux's face portrait in-game looks strange because of the sizing).

I'm not an artist (and by that I mean I'm so terrible at art I'm like a nega-artist), but I'm going to kick up some dust about how we might be able to make these different. I think there's two goals for these two pieces of art:

* Splashes should be intricate, high-detail renders of characters so you can get a cool idea of who they are and what they do. It's basically shippable concept art! It's job is to look super sweet.

* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.

Not only do I think separating the assets would solve the problem you lay out here, but I think it also can help make our icons look more clean and readable. And then the artists can focus on making stuff look great, and not hold back when these problems leer about.
Morello is in my HEAD. I've read/watched too many morello posts/vids and now when I read his responses to important topics such as this I can't help but read it like he does with his voice in my freaking head!