Lux's Face Icon [With Solution]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3mptylord

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I agree with this specific problem a lot - a lot of what makes a good splash doesn't always translate into a good face icon. This causes a problem because you might have to make compromises to one or the other (in this case, Lux's face portrait in-game looks strange because of the sizing).

I'm not an artist (and by that I mean I'm so terrible at art I'm like a nega-artist), but I'm going to kick up some dust about how we might be able to make these different. I think there's two goals for these two pieces of art:

* Splashes should be intricate, high-detail renders of characters so you can get a cool idea of who they are and what they do. It's basically shippable concept art! It's job is to look super sweet.

* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.

Not only do I think separating the assets would solve the problem you lay out here, but I think it also can help make our icons look more clean and readable. And then the artists can focus on making stuff look great, and not hold back when these problems leer about.
There are already examples of icons being different to their artwork.

Kog'Maw's puking-appendage has been scrubbed from his icon; Kha'Zix is missing the left-half of his body (really noticeably different, actually); Alistar's body has been scrubbed; I think Jax's "hair" has been considerably lightened; Twisted Fate's background has been scrubbed for a flat color; Renekton's background has been recolored to brown from yellow, etc. I'm fairly certain Rengar's has been rotated.

EmnestyX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2013

sorceress lux

Dorotheus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-09-2013

Master Yi's was changed.... but these ones...

I'm actually REALLY upset about this...

JevelFaithful

03-10-2013

Yeah, you have to admit the one the OP presented look better.

Crossing

03-10-2013

Just change the art to this instead:

Dorotheus

Recruiter

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossing View Post
Just change the art to this instead:
There is a better one with her tongue sticking out.