Lux's Face Icon [With Solution]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thestuey

10-05-2012

I actually like Lux's portrait the way it is, it really caught my eye when I first saw it (opinion). The Morgana portrait on the other hand, I like your change.

Dorotheus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

bump

Dorotheus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

bump

Secretbeef

10-06-2012

Dead thread with no meaning... the portrait will be changed not the splash... Quit begging for anime splash art and go watch Lina Inverse cast Dragon Slave on youtube

DrBarber101

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by facetious View Post
I don't think you solved your complaint.
No, he did. First image show's Lux' forehead so big and takes up about 40% of the top part, as opposed to the 2nd image that shows her forehead to about 15% of the image and not so much drawing attention to it's massive size.

Dorotheus

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBarber101 View Post
No, he did. First image show's Lux' forehead so big and takes up about 40% of the top part, as opposed to the 2nd image that shows her forehead to about 15% of the image and not so much drawing attention to it's massive size.

Suups

10-06-2012

bump

Laffarater

10-06-2012

Just please please PLEASE change the splash a bit.. all I ever see is this cause of lux's uber-smile

Dorotheus

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffarater View Post
Just please please PLEASE change the splash a bit.. all I ever see is this cause of lux's uber-smile
Slendy-san! Go away...I'm doing homework!

DarkestPhoenix

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I agree with this specific problem a lot - a lot of what makes a good splash doesn't always translate into a good face icon. This causes a problem because you might have to make compromises to one or the other (in this case, Lux's face portrait in-game looks strange because of the sizing).

I'm not an artist (and by that I mean I'm so terrible at art I'm like a nega-artist), but I'm going to kick up some dust about how we might be able to make these different. I think there's two goals for these two pieces of art:

* Splashes should be intricate, high-detail renders of characters so you can get a cool idea of who they are and what they do. It's basically shippable concept art! It's job is to look super sweet.

* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.

Not only do I think separating the assets would solve the problem you lay out here, but I think it also can help make our icons look more clean and readable. And then the artists can focus on making stuff look great, and not hold back when these problems leer about.
So, let me see if I understand this correctly:
You are saying the in-game icon should be a completely different art than the splash art, yes?

I think you're kind of missing the point of the OP, then. I don't believe we're talking about long term goals here, just short term fixes. The horror "HERE'S LUXXXXX" icon is currently kind of off putting and slightly zooming her out would not affect readability/making her identifiable.