Lux's Face Icon [With Solution]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cyjack

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2012

Lux looks creepy...

Kross Kawasaki

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbushIntheDark View Post
While youre at it can you tell the art team to just use the Chinese Lux art instead?

That new one is an abomination.

I mean you used MORDE'S Chinese art for crying out loud, why not use one thats actually better than the original.

Next thing you know we're gonna get window-licking small head Chinese Garen .
I have seen 2 garen's splash screen... and i can tell you.

JUST USE IT!

Those Chineses are just kicking asses!!!

Feladorzor

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I agree with this specific problem a lot - a lot of what makes a good splash doesn't always translate into a good face icon. This causes a problem because you might have to make compromises to one or the other (in this case, Lux's face portrait in-game looks strange because of the sizing).

I'm not an artist (and by that I mean I'm so terrible at art I'm like a nega-artist), but I'm going to kick up some dust about how we might be able to make these different. I think there's two goals for these two pieces of art:

* Splashes should be intricate, high-detail renders of characters so you can get a cool idea of who they are and what they do. It's basically shippable concept art! It's job is to look super sweet.

* Icons present information to players in game. Its job, first and foremost, is to communicate information to players. Additionally, it should "look right" in some way that likely draws little attention to itself outside of the information factor.

Not only do I think separating the assets would solve the problem you lay out here, but I think it also can help make our icons look more clean and readable. And then the artists can focus on making stuff look great, and not hold back when these problems leer about.
Are splashes meant to scare the living **** out of you too?

I get shivers every time i see the new lux art, I feel like she's going to Roofie my drink and I'm going to wake up with a half-wood and a missing kidney.

Kama

09-28-2012

bumps

Epichuntarz

09-28-2012

Quote:
No, I'll let IronStylus do that because my aesthetic judgment is dumb and meaningless. It's an invalid discussion for me to have at all.

And, I will say, I do trust professional artists more than non-artists to make calls on aesthetic quality.
Aesthetics are subjective.

Being a "professional artist" doesn't make your judgement necessarily any more relevant or significant than a "non-artist." It means you have the ability to depict. It doesn't mean your art is aesthetically any better, because "better" in this case, is indeed subjective.

My cousin is a great artist-she won the Yeiser National Art contest in high school, attended an esteemed art college, and works in graphic design now, but that doesn't mean everyone like what she does-if EVERYONE liked her style, EVERYONE would be rushing to employ her.

From a design standpoint, your in-house "professional artists" meet the style you are looking for as a company, but that just means Riot, as a company, likes the aesthetic they've set.

Art is all subjective. What some find offensive, others find beautiful. The discussion about Lux's new art is just a matter of opinion, not necessarily a matter of a measurable achievement.

LordRandomness

09-28-2012

Quote:
Yeah - and that's valid. I think that feedback is really good to tell to artists though - I'll see if I can get someone in here so they can have a discussion. I'm just the wrong person for that type of discussion, though.
Ah, fair enough. Part of what I was getting at, though, was "what do you personally think of it?". You even said everyone has their own opinion on art, I'm just curious as to what yours is.

Zerglinator

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
Attachment 533322Attachment 533323
It really doesn't change it...I believe that MF's icon is absolutely fine, there is nothing bad or distracting about it (except how alluring it is) when in game, the colors are great and vibrant, and contrasted.
I dislike MF's current icon because it negates the hat. And she has a sweet hat. I want that hat in the icon.

NakedGranny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2012

i liked the previous Morgana splash way more.

just puttin that out there.

Lord Valinor

09-28-2012

I liked the old lux art.

Graphika

09-28-2012

Quote:
And, I will say, I do trust professional artists more than non-artists to make calls on aesthetic quality.
I'm a tad miffed at this statement.
There are quite a number of art critics in the professional world that do not make art themselves and their opinion is highly regarded. Not saying we're art critics, but just saying. You don't have to be an artist to understand art aesthetic. I'm a graphic designer and I can tell you right now that there are thousands of people who don't do design themselves but know what good design is. The same concept carries over.