Adding lane/job choices to champ selection

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zer0blizzard

09-27-2012

EDIT: ~500 VIEWS AND LESS THAN 5 RESPONSES?!?!?!?
EDIT2: ~1300 VIEWS AND LESS THAN 10 RESPONSES??!?!

Instead of having to comb through chat logs trying to figure out who's going to play what lane/job (jungle is the most popular nonlane "job", I'd say) each player is going to do. It'd be nice if there were the following categories, each with up to five slots (for up to five players), and then three champions (ranked in order of player's willingness to play them) that each player wanted to use.

Mid
Bottom
Jungle
Other (for whatever else people wanted to do, with a brief 64 character description provided by the player trying to do it)

Example:
Player 1 Jax/Riven/Teemo

Mid
Player 2 Lux/Mordekaiser/Veigar

Bottom
Player 3 Ezreal/Draven/Jayce
Player 4 Taric/Soraka/Sona

Jungle
Player 5 Amumu/Shaco/Shyvana

It would also be nice if there were little bars (five very tiny horizontal bars next to the champion thumbnail) next to the champion selections that would indicate same team player voting on those champ selections. Green would indicate a vote up, red would be a vote down.

Of course, none of this information would be visible to the other team and champion selections would be made invalidated (greyed out) if they were picked by another team or banned. Players would simply click on the thumbnail again and pick from the list of their available champions.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure where this would go (maybe a popup menu? make the champ selection window bigger? change the champion selection on the left side and replace it with this?).

Zer0blizzard

09-28-2012

bump.

ToReLL├│

09-28-2012

I've always thought that when we click play it should ask us our prefered role. I think this would lead to a lot less dodgeing b/c last picks are always calling their spot when it's obvious that they are going to be filling in and then they go the route of the TROLL and select an aditional jungler or adc and someone is forced to dodge .. or the game starts and they feed b/c they can't deal with it and they'd rather waste your time and get u a loss.

I don't know about people being able to voice their prefered champions as well but i do agree there should be more to the Q process as far as selecting your prefered role/lane

step 1
When you join a Q you can slect 2 of the roles/lanes that you're willing to play.
Your options will be top, adc, mid, jungle, support

step 2
You'll be able to put your 2 selections into priority of preference.... 1 primary & 1 secondary

step 3
Matchmaking process will take these selections into account while finding people of similar elo.
Now it's putting together a team of people that have selected roles that will form a good team makeup too.

step 4
When it finds your team, at the champion select screen next to each players name will be a symbol or word which indicates which roll the matchmaking process selected each player to play.

Zer0blizzard

09-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToReLLˇ View Post
I've always thought that when we click play it should ask us our prefered role. I think this would lead to a lot less dodgeing b/c last picks are always calling their spot when it's obvious that they are going to be filling in and then they go the route of the TROLL and select an aditional jungler or adc and someone is forced to dodge .. or the game starts and they feed b/c they can't deal with it and they'd rather waste your time and get u a loss.

I don't know about people being able to voice their prefered champions as well but i do agree there should be more to the Q process as far as selecting your prefered role/lane

step 1
When you join a Q you can slect 2 of the roles/lanes that you're willing to play.
Your options will be top, adc, mid, jungle, support

step 2
You'll be able to put your 2 selections into priority of preference.... 1 primary & 1 secondary

I feel two choices is not enough.

step 3
Matchmaking process will take these selections into account while finding people of similar elo.
Now it's putting together a team of people that have selected roles that will form a good team makeup too.

Matchmaking should not care about what champions pick, because then matchmaking would purposely select players more based on their champion pick, and not their skill. What you're saying reinforces the current metagame, and discourages trying out new champions.

step 4
When it finds your team, at the champion select screen next to each players name will be a symbol or word which indicates which roll the matchmaking process selected each player to play.

You're assuming that each player will pick only one position, and that everyone picks different positions. My idea takes the existing system and adds functionality to it. Your idea completely changes what matchmaking does by prioritizing champion and lane combinations per the current metagame.
Edit: fixed order of posts

Zer0blizzard

10-03-2012

Bump.

Best Atheist NA

10-03-2012

This has been suggested numerous times. People forget that the "meta" isn't supported officially by Riot, its created by the players. Its not set in stone that you NEED a jungler, that you NEED an AP carry to go mid, etc. Sure, that's what most people are accustomed to, but its not like a WoW dungeon queue where you need a tank, healer and 3 dps.

Zer0blizzard

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcup View Post
This has been suggested numerous times. People forget that the "meta" isn't supported officially by Riot, its created by the players. Its not set in stone that you NEED a jungler, that you NEED an AP carry to go mid, etc. Sure, that's what most people are accustomed to, but its not like a WoW dungeon queue where you need a tank, healer and 3 dps.
Your idea that Riot doesn't support the meta is flawed. They support having popular champions because their abilities may seem a bit OP (see Ezreal's flexibility and new champions usually being overpowered, both of which cost 6300 IP), which excel at their roles, and therefore, their lane. Furthermore, all of the Champion spotlights have suggested nothing but the solotop, single jungle, ap mid and adc+support bot "meta". Riot has never officially discouraged the meta, either. Also, Riot builds concepts for champions, and then assigns a lane role (there isn't a champion that's equally AP mid AND ADc AND solotop AND jungle AND support).

The kind of champions Riot makes and their lane positions are connected because of the current meta, but Riot has done no rebalancing or even commented on the state of the current meta to correct it. However, they do perform rebalances (by buffing or nerfing) champions that they find in need of fixing. Therefore, because the current overall balance of champions in their positions is the result of these buffs and nerfs, Riot supports the meta.

My idea can counter the meta of solotop, single jungler, ap mid and adc+support bot, because up to five people can be in any position. There's also an "other" position that's also open to five people, and they would be able to type in a 64 character idea for their position.

Zer0blizzard

10-04-2012

Bump.

FMD Jaruko

10-04-2012

I like the Idea and thought of making a thread of this too. Honestly, I get sick of trying to talk to people as to what role they want to play. We really Need this. RIOT, WE NEED THIS PLZ!

Zer0blizzard

10-10-2012

Bump.