Wodu, The Voodoo Master

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

H Minnow

09-25-2012

Goal:
Wodu is a mitigation tank, played mainly in a support role, who's goal is to move damage around between different targets. His goal is to protect allies from damage by sacrificing his own hp. His abilities allow him to modify the target of the damage dealt. His Q is meant to protect him in all situations. If he is being attacked or is suffering damage from his own ultimate, the damage is moved to his Q. His W is meant for damage. If he is being damaged while his W and Q are active, W takes priority, however his W is only proc'd on damage dealt by characters not involved in the abilities targeting, while his Q is all damage that does and does not proc his W, but only one of the two will move the damage from any single source. This means he will not damage an enemy AND his Q, just an enemy OR his Q based on situation. His E is a taunt meant to both move damage to him(by making him the target) and allow him to control his W in a more reliable way. His R is pure mitigation giving another target what could basically be considered a portion of his health

Story:
Wodu was born and raised on the streets of Zaun. At a young age he discovered a love and gift of art. Able to craft beautifully accurate dolls from the simplest of materials, he grew to love his talent and masterpieces. Sadly though, Wodu had not a friend to share his creations with. One day, however, he met a young girl. Marrietta. When she saw him craft a doll the two became inseparable. She would always ask him to craft a doll of this person, or that person. One day she asked him to craft a simple doll of her. He decided to use a different style then usual and created a beautiful rag doll of his friend. He planned to give it to her as a present the next day. Unfortunately in the city of Zaun, terrible things can happen in a day. He brought the present to her, and the look in her eyes as he handed it to her was the most wonderful sight in the world. Then, with no warning there was an explosion. Disorientation hit hard, he lost all sense of direction. Smoke and dust filled the air. When the dust cleared, Wodu found himself unharmed. But that didn't matter, Wodu searched for his friend. Searched and searched. Maybe she ran? Maybe she's hiding? He called her name. He hoped she was safe. But it all fell away when he found his doll sitting on top of a pile of rubble. Wodu broke down in tears. Tears of sorrow. Tears of Anger. He had lost the most important friend to him in the world. Destroyed in a moment by who knows what. A lab accident? An act of terror? He only wished that he could have helped her. If he could have, he would have given himself for her. He resigned himself to that feeling. He would be willing to put his life on the line so no other friend would come to harm again.

Wodu searched for years for a way to protect. He felt chained by the loss of his friend. His will to create started to fail him. That was until he came upon the ancient art of voodoo, generally considered a dark art. He wanted to bring light to such a powerful ability and with his crafting genius he knew he could. From the moment he came upon the discovery he worked hard to master it. At first it seemed cruel. He had to test the art somehow, so he found special subjects. People who were willing to feel pain. Strange people live in Zaun, a city he slowly grew to hate after what happened. But in this city he found everything he needed, including the subjects he had to search for, and slowly changed the art. He had to start traditionally, but he found a way to take the pain felt by a person and transfer it to a painless doll. He himself crafted these dolls, and created these arts. Even having to experiment on himself, he endured the pain. One thing always kept him going though. A little doll he always kept at his belt. A ragdoll, beautifully crafted for someone very important.

Appearance:
Kinda hard to describe. I haven't found a good picture for him yet but I'm looking. I have no art talent so don't expect me to draw one. I'd say you'd see about a 25 year old male, I see his sticking out being his clothing which I always imagined as along the lines of punk-gothic. His pants have chains attached in multiple places with various doll pieces attached to them, in no real symmetry. From a single chain, attached around his waste and used like a belt, hangs the ragdoll located right over his left pocket. He's rather tall but not exceptionally muscular. He has no sleeves, and has various scars on him from his testing all over the visible parts of his body.

Voice:
His quotes will have numerous references to dolls and doll-like toys. His joke would definitely be the first verse of "I've got no strings" from Pinocchio as a bit of a puppet joke. When he casts Q I can imagine him saying something like, "I'm sorry." For his W, "Now, FEEL MY PAIN!" His E, "Heal my wounds." His Ult he would say, "FOR MARIETTA," or, "Be safe, my friend."

Role: Tank, Support
Resource: Mana

Base Stats:
Damage 58 (+3 / per level)
Health 470 (+70 / per level)
Mana 280 (+40 / per level)
Move Speed 325
Armor 19 (+3.1 / per level)
Magic Resist 30 (+1.25 / per level)
Health Regen 5 (+0.70 / per level)
Mana Regen 6 (+0.85 / per level)

These have been the hardest thing to decide. They have a surprisingly dangerous place in champ balance so I looked over numerous champs to decide this. I ended up using Leona's stats as a base and adjusted to what felt right. His base HP is ridiculously low level 18. He scales off of HP so I thought it dangerous to make his base too high. His AD level 1 is decent as he needed some method of damage in a solo lane and without the ablities for damage I felt I could push his base AD up a bit. Everything else is just everything else.

Abilities:
Passive: Painless Doll- Wodu feels no pain and takes 2/3/4% reduced physical and magical damage. Wodu gains .5% hp regen/1% health missing.

Explanation: Lets face it, his skill set reduces his own health drastically overall as he has many tanking aspects to him so he has a bit of free reduction and health regen. The health regen component works like chalice and athene's not increasing his regen to heal him a percent of his missing health, but taking that percent of his current regen and adding it to his regen value. Lets say he has 40hp/5 regen and is at 50% health. He will get a 25% bonus to regen, so his regen value will now change to 50hp/05.

Q: Forsaken Moppet- Wodu summons a doll of a little girl at target location with 0 AR/MR. This doll acts as a voodoo doll for Wodu that transfers damage dealt to him, to itself instead. This doll dies after taking 50/125/200/275/350(0.3AP) damage or after 10 seconds. The doll can be controlled by reactivating Forsaken Moppet. All damage dealt to the doll is reduced by Wodu's Armor and magic resistance and is then dealt to the doll as true damage.
Cooldown: 15 Seconds
Mana cost: 40

Explanation: I liked the idea of a true mitigation ability, its more than the way a shield would work. Basically, the doll can take a certain amount of damage, in that it can either be targeted and destroyed, or can be dealt enough damage through the damage it moves onto itself to be killed. Any form of damage, including self-inflicted from his R, is moved to this target. The true damage is so that buffing the Moppet's defenses through aura's or other such things to further improve reductions, will not work. I was a little afraid on how to make it scale and how it scales as early game it could be too strong which I don't want but the risk then comes as the late game being weak because that fact. The fact that scaling numbers can be played around with a bit, and that this ability does no damage makes me feel I got at least close to how it should be.

W: Reflecting Figurine- Wodu links himself to target enemy champion. All outside sources of damage dealt to Wodu are instead dealt to that champion up to 70/115/160/205/250(+1/10 bonus hp) damage, if the tether is broken, or after 10 seconds. During this duration Wodu takes half damage from minions. All damage Wodu's target takes is based on his armor and magic resistance reductions and is counted as true, after calculations. This ability can only affect one target at a time.
Tether: 1100
Cooldown: 11 Seconds
Mana Cost: 70

Explanation: The way this effect would work is that when Wodu is dealt damage by the abilities or attacks of sources that are not his own abilities or his linked target, it is dealt to the targeted champion instead. The half damage from minions and damage cap is to stop this ability from being exceptionally overpowered so he cant just run into a minion wave and get that champ minion wrecked by his own minions in seconds. This move takes priority over forsaken Moppet meaning that if this and forsaken Moppet are active, the damage dealt to Wodu, that would effect both Figurine and Moppet, will be dealt to the enemy champion. He needs some source of damage and this is where it comes in. The cooldown on this one is shorter then the duration but it is still limited to affecting only one target at a time.

E: Strings of the Marionette- Wodu taunts up to two nearby enemy champions for 1.5 seconds. These champions gain 15/30/45/60/75 Attack Damage and 40/55/70/85/100% Attack Speed for the duration of this effect. Affects the two enemy champions closest to Wodu.
AoE: 600-900
Cooldown: 16 Seconds
Mana Cost: 50

Explanation: To fuel his W as well as mitigate more damage away from his allies. Easy enough explanation. Kinda obvious requirement for his skillset as there is no point is his W without a way to make the enemy attack him.

R: Puppet of Mine- Wodu turns target allied champion into a doll of himself. All damage dealt to that ally champion is instead dealt to Wodu up to 200/400/600(0.6AP) damage or for 10 seconds. All damage dealt to Wodu is as if the attack were to be targeting Wodu, not his protected ally and is dealt in its original form.
Cooldown: 90/80/70 Seconds
Mana Cost: 100

Explanation: Again, damage mitigation. This is the damage I was writing as self inflicted as the source is, ultimately, himself. As his ultimate the numbers would be obviously higher and duration would be long enough to count in a fight. Core tanking skill. Its targets are pretty obvious.

All his mitigations move all forms of damage, including true as it is not reducing the damage, just modifying its target.

Reasons for creation?
I thought of his ultimate one day, no name, no numbers or anything, I just thought of an ability that would directly move damage from one champion to himself to help them fight, protect them, other things like that. The rest just sort of came to me the more I thought about it.

P.S. His name is the German word for Voodoo

H Minnow

09-26-2012

Changelog:

1/29/2013
Changed base maximum damage for Forsaken Moppet to 50/125/200/275/350 from 100/175/250/325/400
Changed damage mitigated per bonus HP on Puppet of Mine to 1/10 Bonus HP from 1/20 Bonus HP

02/04/2013:
Added Base Stats
Added Cooldowns, Mana Costs, and Ranges for all spells.
Added clarity to some descriptions, toned down wordiness on some explanations
Modified the character description to be more cleanly described.

H Minnow

01-29-2013

Its been a long time but lets give this another shot. Bump of shame

Robo Frodo

01-29-2013

Is genyus

Robo Frodo

01-29-2013

Seriously, I see some serious tower diving possibility but no free kill at lvl one, and a huge counter to Olaf solo top

H Minnow

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afghansondrugs View Post
Seriously, I see some serious tower diving possibility but no free kill at lvl one, and a huge counter to Olaf solo top
The tower diving situation is one of the hardest things I had to work around. Its why I practically gave him no damage. Yeah he can make the enemy eat one of their own tower shots, but thats about it. Anyone with CC would stop that from happening as to take that tower shot he goes all in and risks a lot just for a mediocre amount of damage at practically any point in the game. The only situation in which he could tower dive he would require a teammate to be successful do to sheer lack of damage.

Also, countering Olaf is a very good thing, haha.

Robo Frodo

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Minnow View Post
The tower diving situation is one of the hardest things I had to work around. Its why I practically gave him no damage. Yeah he can make the enemy eat one of their own tower shots, but thats about it. Anyone with CC would stop that from happening as to take that tower shot he goes all in and risks a lot just for a mediocre amount of damage at practically any point in the game. The only situation in which he could tower dive he would require a teammate to be successful do to sheer lack of damage.

Also, countering Olaf is a very good thing, haha.
The thing is though, if he gets a nice gank from jungler and the ennemy gets away with like 100 hp, if he's still in range, he can cast W and run away, getting a Singed-style kill from running

H Minnow

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afghansondrugs View Post
The thing is though, if he gets a nice gank from jungler and the ennemy gets away with like 100 hp, if he's still in range, he can cast W and run away, getting a Singed-style kill from running
I knew when I was making him that his W would probably be the hardest skill to balance with the design set-up. He needed some form of ability to do at least some damage and I wanted the damage to be decent enough to make up for his lack of damage across the board, as well as suit his playstyle and theme. Its the numbers that make it hard. Would you say I should lower them slightly? I could agree with downing the base damage a lot just because of how potentially strong it is.

Robo Frodo

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Minnow View Post
I knew when I was making him that his W would probably be the hardest skill to balance with the design set-up. He needed some form of ability to do at least some damage and I wanted the damage to be decent enough to make up for his lack of damage across the board, as well as suit his playstyle and theme. Its the numbers that make it hard. Would you say I should lower them slightly? I could agree with downing the base damage a lot just because of how potentially strong it is.
Is is already balanced, because if you build tanky the ennemies will stop targeting you after some while, and you might just end up taking no damage and dealing none, but mixed with other abilities you have good control of a battlefield and can make the ADC not be focused! Brilliant! :-)

The Lord Impaler

01-30-2013

Really original concept of damage transference and just fits SO well with Vuduo lore. Hope Riot takes up this and runs with it.