Need tips. o.o

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AmyOverlord

11-29-2009

Okay, so liek, I'm a completely new player. I got recommended to play LOL by one of my friends. ^^;

I have to say, it is AAAAAAAAAAAAWESOME. :x I haven't played DoTA, so.. x~x

Anyways, I've read the stickied guides. I has questions. o_o

1. You start at level 1 in every match, right? Is this always the set level, or can it be modified? By cash shop, ranking, etc?

2. I'm currently using Ashe. Which, I assume, is the original name of the Bow Lady. o_o I'm a fan of ranged users, so I'd like to know if there is a magic user. (I love magic users) If there is, would there be a default one already unlocked? If it's not default, how do I unlock that hero? (If it's not possible to get a magic using hero, ignore this)

3. In a guide with Profile, I remember seeing an experience bar. What exactly is that for? :x

4. Any recommendations on what to buy via the little in-game store thingy in matches? I know that the HP regen pendant is good.

5. Basic strategic tips. I don't really like mass player matches, like 5v5. Depends, though. Mainly for 1v1/2v2. I don't care at all for ranking matches. So..yeah. .-. I just play for fun.

Thanks for any answers! ^^;

Indecent

11-29-2009

1. Yes you always start at level one at the beginning of a match.

2. By magic I assume you mean mage. Ryze is a mage, though certainly not very noob friendly at the moment.

3. Whenever you play a match to completion you gain exp. When you level, you get more rune slots and mastery points. I'll assume you know what they are.

4. For now, just follow the recommended item setup. Though not always, the most efficent at least they are not completely wrong. Later, on you will learn which items are best for which champions.

5. The first thing you must know. Don't fight someone under their own tower. Just don't. Later, on you'll learn when and when to tower-dive but for now just try not to get hit by the tower. Also, don't let the creep wave just beat on you.

Much more informative information can be provided by several guides in these forums.

It's 1 oclock so this I'm not accountable for the validity of my statements.

Lemt

11-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyOverlord View Post
Okay, so liek, I'm a completely new player. I got recommended to play LOL by one of my friends. ^^;

I have to say, it is AAAAAAAAAAAAWESOME. :x I haven't played DoTA, so.. x~x

Anyways, I've read the stickied guides. I has questions. o_o

1. You start at level 1 in every match, right? Is this always the set level, or can it be modified? By cash shop, ranking, etc?
You'll always start at level 1. Some masteries, however, will increase your XP gain, as will Zilean's passive, helping you level up faster than the enemy.

Quote:
2. I'm currently using Ashe. Which, I assume, is the original name of the Bow Lady. o_o I'm a fan of ranged users, so I'd like to know if there is a magic user. (I love magic users) If there is, would there be a default one already unlocked? If it's not default, how do I unlock that hero? (If it's not possible to get a magic using hero, ignore this)
Ryze, as mentioned already. He's not easy to use, but at lower-tier play, with less 5-man gank squads around, he should prove effective. If you're thinking of unlocking a mage with IP, Anivia and Veigar are both really good. But I strongly recommned you play a ranged or tank character at first.

Quote:
3. In a guide with Profile, I remember seeing an experience bar. What exactly is that for? :x
As you play games, your profile will earn XP and IP. IP lets you buy things at the store. XP will level up your profile. The top level is 30. Every level you gain gives you 1 point for masteries (which you can relocate for free at any time) and a new rune slot. I'd probably get Tier 1 runes as you need them, because they'll give you an edge in low-tier games and are MUCH cheaper than Tier 3 runes (something like 8% of the cost for 45% of the power, I believe). HP runes, Movement speed runes and Cooldown Reduction runes are good for all champions, HP probably being slightly better than armor and magic resist.

Quote:
4. Any recommendations on what to buy via the little in-game store thingy in matches? I know that the HP regen pendant is good.
First get some regen item, mana or hp depending on your champion. Potions are very important too, but remember they don't heal instantly. Follow the recommended items, but here are some tips:
-If the enemy team has many slows and stuns, get Mercury's Treads. These are probably the best boots in the game (boots should usually be your second item).
-If the enemy team has lots of magic users, and MANY stuns and slows, get Banshee's Veil.
-If you are getting ambushed a lot in your lane, buy a ward and set it up where they usually come from. This'll save your neck.
-If the enemy team has a stealth character (Twitch, Evelynn, Shaco, etc) get the ward that reveals invisible enemies. Place it in your lane.

Quote:
5. Basic strategic tips. I don't really like mass player matches, like 5v5. Depends, though. Mainly for 1v1/2v2. I don't care at all for ranking matches. So..yeah. .-. I just play for fun.
-When pushing a lane, never try to push more than a single tower. Push the tower with your team, destroy it, then fall back. Try to kill some enemies before you push the next tower.
-Watch the minimap. If several enemies are missing, assume they are after you.
-Don't push too far into a lane alone. At most, kill 2 waves of enemy creeps before falling back.

AmyOverlord

11-30-2009

Thanks a lot for the answers guys. ;o

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2009

Here's some strategic tips:

Play to win. Be competitive. Learn to have fun being competitive. It's a drag to have somebody on the team that rides the "OH I ONLY PLAY TO HAVE FUN" high horse and uses it as an excuse to play bad. Don't be that guy. Playing for fun is a right that should be earned.

As far as mage champions go, try FIDDLESTICKS. Easy to play, hard to master, has a lot of neat aspects. Still useful in beginner games. Still useful high level competitive games.

Another good mage is MORGANA. She's probably one of the most useful champions in the game to have on your team. Everybody will love you for playing Morgana.