Can anyone explain Riven to me?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luxiere

09-25-2012

Hello.

I'm not a big fan of lores and all that Noxus, Ionia, etc. But recently, I got interested in those- and especially Riven.

Can anyone explain to me her lore? Why is she called Riven, the Exile? Simple words might be better :)

Dracorya

09-25-2012

Riven was once a decorated soldier for Noxus, famous for her sword skills. However, she become disillusioned with the current state of Noxus after an incident involving her and her platoon in the Ionian War.

Basically she asked for backup when her forces were ambushed by the Ionians, but instead Noxus command told Singed to nuke the lot of them. Riven was horrified at how Noxus was basically now willing to throw their own people under the bus just to achieve victory. It went against everything (at least in her mind) about how people earn the right to victory through strength: not with the mindset of "the end justifies the means."

Luckily she managed to survive and escape. She broke her sword as a symbol of her broken faith in the current Noxus. Now she currently is trying to find a way to bring back the ideals of the old Noxus that she once revered.

Well that's how I understand her lore.

belthazor3457

09-25-2012

According to lore, Singed went out of his way to give the order to bombard Riven and her squad. Riven's self-exile, according to noxian values, probably includes a plot to hunt down singed and kill him. that's prolly why she wound up in the league of legends.

Wickian

10-06-2012

I don't think she's upset because Noxus killed her whole squad so much as instead of accepting that they lost an engagement, Noxus decided to poison bomb the entire region and kill EVERYONE.

According to Riven's interpretation of Noxus ideals they should have given Ionia the win in that battle and continued to fight on equal ground another day. If you're stronger then you don't need such brutal tactics to win.

Lord Mordor

10-06-2012

Riven still holds core Noxian values (ie: strenght is what matters, strong have the right to rule, ect)

however, with the use of Zaunite technology and the indescriminent use of it during the Noxus-Ionian war, Riven became disillusioned. The Zaunite melters did not distinguish between strong or weak...they just killed everyone in an area. To her...this was not the Noxian way. They lost that fight, but instead everyone but her was dead...and it was just dumb luck that she survived

So she went into self-imposed exile.

There hasn't been any word on what her opinions would be of Swain's new regime though

Wickian

10-06-2012

The new lore needs to start up.