@kitae: Trundle's new lore has gutted his character

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thundershatter

04-02-2013

Before I rant I want to say that I understand that retcons happen across all entertainment genres every now and then in order to keep things new and fresh for a growing/new audience base. Comic book heroes such as Spiderman or Superman occasionally get "rebooted" for this very reason. However, these retcons usually don't invovlves significant changes to a character's personality. Superman most always reboots as a Kryptonian refugee on earth, raised in Smallville, earth's yellow sun gives him powers, yadda yadda.

I assume that most of you have seen trundle's new lore, as posted on reignofgaming.net: http://www.reignofgaming.net/news

In light of these changes, brought about by this freijord lore reboot/ freijord mini-arc in the league of legends universe, Trundle's personality has been changed significantly, and for the worse. Now instead of a completely unique Christ-like/sacrificial/hero/whathaveyou figure in the LoL universe, Riot has presented us with stereotypical "STRENGTH ABOVE ALL ELSE" champion #9753.

kitae/riot lore crew: I understand you wanted to give some temporary significance to the freijord these past couple of months, and what yall have been doing is by and large, really cool! But the fact is that you let the ends justify the means, and absolutely GUTTED Trundle's uniqueness in order to pursue your agenda. Trundle no longer stands as a virtuous, underdog, sacrificial hero archetype which besides Trundle is completely unaddressed in the rest of the champion roster. Now hes just another LOK'TAR OGAR HEAR ME ROAR with a SLIGHT amount of deviousness/ingenuity, which still doesn't save him from representing a dreadfully abused character development.

I know I can't stop you from completely destroying Trundle's unique character, but please kitae, just hear me out.

A concernced Summoner,

Thundershatter

PKDX

04-02-2013

Trundle was never "good". Decent maybe, but he was never a Christ-like/sacrificial/hero/whathaveyou figure
Read his judgement. He did what he did specifically to doom his tribe because they were mean to him.

Xulsigae

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDX View Post
Trundle was never "good". Decent maybe, but he was never a Christ-like/sacrificial/hero/whathaveyou figure
Read his judgement. He did what he did specifically to doom his tribe because they were mean to him.
His old lore was complex. He did a great thing for his tribe even though he was abused, and then when given the chance for a cure, he didn't take it. Rather a mixed personality, martyr and mistrollthropist (misanthropist).

Kuwalda

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDX View Post
Errr... no. He had two choices:
1. restore the curse and regeneration to his tribe
2. keep his tribe's curse to himself, but leave them without troll regeneration.

He simply thought that taking their regeneration, something trolls are so accustomed to, was worse than restoring the curse. The tribe was doomed either way.

Mutterscrawl

04-02-2013

Trundle was never virtuous but he is less sympathetic now than he was before.

IcySlayer

04-02-2013

People don't seem to understand trundle because they never heard his in game lines. He jokes about the fact hes cursed he jokes that hes a troll hes a fun loving guy...Well in his old lore.Trundle is a character that hes a good person but was giving 2 bad options: cure but death/stay cursed and be in endless pain for all eternity. Really he was good for choosing to keep it but at his own cost. He would be hated by you guys or his own clan in either option so really what should he have done?

Edit: Ps hes sitll one of the most selfless champs in the game(old trundle).

Melancholy Exile

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcySlayer View Post
Edit: Ps hes sitll one of the most selfless champs in the game.
Quote:
The young Trundle had gotten carried away with what they told him - he fantasized about the admiration in the eyes of those who had once ridiculed him, the adoration of his entire tribe, and the riches and comfort he would enjoy as they lauded his sacrifice.

Had any other smaller or uglier troll been born into the tribe, Trundle was sure that he would have redirected the bullying to the new target, and happily joined in himself.
Trundle took on the curse partially for the benefit of his tribe but mostly because he wanted to escape the constant bullying and saw a means by which he might finally have been appreciated - adored and worshipped even. Even so, he freely admitted to himself, with the benefit of hindsight, that he'd gladly have joined in the bullying if someone else had been in his position. Taking on the curse was his best hope of moving up in the world

Quote:
And suddenly, the sting of naiveté that caused him to make this same choice before shattered his train of thought. His decision to bear the burden of disease never changed the fact that he was the runt. Nothing he ever did would change that.

A crooked smile snaked across his misshapen face. "Let them suffer. I'll keep what they so generously gave me."
He chose not to return the curse, and to let his people live a life without their regeneration, because they still wouldn't appreciate him, even if he tried to spin that decision to his advantage. He wanted to be accepted and, knowing he wouldn't be, he chose to "let them suffer".

Thundershatter

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
Trundle took on the curse partially for the benefit of his tribe but mostly because he wanted to escape the constant bullying and saw a means by which he might finally have been appreciated - adored and worshipped even. Even so, he freely admitted to himself, with the benefit of hindsight, that he'd gladly have joined in the bullying if someone else had been in his position. Taking on the curse was his best hope of moving up in the world

He chose not to return the curse, and to let his people live a life without their regeneration, because they still wouldn't appreciate him, even if he tried to spin that decision to his advantage. He wanted to be accepted and, knowing he wouldn't be, he chose to "let them suffer".
When did it say that Trundle's people had their regeneration taken away, or that he took the curse upon himself out of spite? As far as I know, this is Trundle's lore in regards to that:
"A wise Ruhgosk shaman learned that he could magically bind the disease to a single troll, provided that the troll could bear the weight of the entire tribe's curse upon himself. However,there was no such troll...until the birth of Trundle. His ability to regenerate was so profound that it appeared as if he did not carry the disease."

Trundle's own, natural regeneration was strong enough to keep the whole tribe's disease at bay. And it doesn't imply anywhere else in the lore box itself that Trundle was ever spiteful towards his tribe at the time he took the disease, rather he is made out to be a martyr.

Melancholy Exile

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundershatter View Post
When did it say that Trundle's people had their regeneration taken away
Quote:
"True, but what you don't know, Trundle, is that you bearing the disease of your brethren will also be their downfall. While the plague that your tribe bore was debilitating, eventually their bodies came to rely on the disease. Yes, it caused them immense pain and constant disease, but it became inextricably fused with your race's inherent ability to regenerate." The summoner's tone was clinical as he spoke. "Thus, when the plague was extracted from their bodies, it took along with it their regenerative capabilities. Now their bodies do not even know how to sustain themselves."
You've read his Judgement, right?

Trundle's Judgement contains a lot of insight into his mindset and makes it fairly clear that, while he may have willingly chosen to suffer his people's curse, he did so because he was sick of being the runt and wanted them to accept him by whatever means necessary - but he didn't stop there: He dreamed of "the riches and comfort he would enjoy as they lauded his sacrifice". He did a generous thing indeed, but painting it as being a completely selfless act is missing his motivation for going along with it entirely.

Nukemouse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2013

Trundle was someone who was picked on and singled out all his life, given a chance to rise up only to find he was as hated as ever. His sacrifice was meaningless to himself, but the fact it was meaningless to the other trolls hurt him far more. When it was revealed what had been done had damned the trolls he ignored their pleas and made a new life for himself, escaping the persecution of his youth and finding purpose and the admiration he desired in the league.

He was a selfish savior, the current Trundle is just bland. I understand they took away the disease aspect because of some misguided belief that "disgusting is bad and the players hate it" but i think his lore should have kept his personality and tale intact. I'm not sure why they wanted to make him a major player in world events, but this was a poor way of doing it.