So my choices are...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pysces

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2010

I know tier lists are often subjective and controversial things, but I'm really making an effort to do well at this game, so I've limited myself to tier 2 or tier 1 Champions at most.

As I've been maining Kennen, and getting higher up in levels (16 now, 47 wins, 48 losses), I've come to realise he isn't a good champion for the solo queue. What I've been finding is, put in a good team, I can work well with him, but in any team that isn't remotely balanced, or is Carry heavy etc. etc. it won't matter how well I do in the early game, because I'm not scaling well late game to swing battles. Maybe I suck at Kennen, I don't know, but I think you guys will know what I mean. Any team that wises up to what I'm doing have me pretty controlled ASAP in any fights, and if my team doesn't have a proper tank/initator, I feel crippled, because I don't get a opportunity to dive in and do my thing.

I REALLY want to get good with a Tank character that is not Amumu. There is a severe lack of people willing to pick tanks up sometimes (I'm aware this is old news now and has been discussed before). My reasoning against Amumu is he is probably banned in draft often enough that I won't actually get to play him.

While Nasus wasn't a true tank, I liked him, because I could mold his role a little based on the team. Having dropped down to tier 3 means I want to find someone else now (I know, I know...)

So for tanks, are my choice really limited to Shen, Taric and Galio?

I bought the digital collector's pack, and used my spare riot points to buy Kennen. I've got enough left to unlock Taric, but wondering, should I just spend the 5 bucks and go with Shen?

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2010

Is Rammus not in tier 2? I find that surprising given that most people count his taunt as one of the most annoying skills in the game to play against.

EaStW00d

09-23-2010

I know you said you want to be competitive but don't blindly follow a tier list just because someone says those champions are the best. You are still below lvl 30 so just take this time to practice the game and find a champion that suits your playstyle best. Try out all the different tanks and find one you enjoy playing. The tier list isn't a set in stone deal. Some of the best players in this game play champions that are not in tier 1 or even tier 2.

Kiryu

09-23-2010

Skill comes not from the ranking of a champion, but rather from the ability of the player. Until you are able to play in ranked games, you should ignore Teir lists. Even then, those lists won't save you from being rolled by a good Evelynn player. The person on top right now could easily drop to worthless in 1-2 patches(see Heimerdinger). What you should do is focus on champions which accomplish the goals that you have. Decide what your ideal tank should be able to do, then look at all possible tanks and find the ones that fit those goals.

If you really want to play a tank, Amumu, Shen, Galio, and Raummus are your best bets right now. Tanks must be able to taunt, or at the very least disable multiple targets at the same time. Taric can take a lot of damage, but it is hard for him to keep multiple players from going after the carry.

Craixis

09-23-2010

Tier list are just how well the champion fits in with most group comps, not how strong the champion is...
I main Zilean personally, with Taric/Sona/Soraka as back ups for bans (that, or if I'm not up for Zilean, AP Taric)
Play who you want to play, if you're going by someone else's list you will never know how well YOU work with the champion (it doesn't matter if your team has a Taric if you don't play him correctly), you'd be surprised at how strong those "low" tier champions can be...