Dorans Items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChaosToPeace

10-10-2012

Dorans items are usually used to pick up at the start for early boosts and sell for extra money later on. This can be useful for people who dont start off with boots and other starting gear.

But why dont we make Dorans an item to be used properly?

Make upgrades to Dorans Items. Make them a viable items for those who are still new to League of Legends or for those who want an all-round item.

Maybe give it good upgrades, like:

Dorans Shield:
+10 armor
+120 health
+8 health regeneration

Into:

Dorans Safeguard:
+25 armor
+350 health
+14 health regeneration
Active: Reduces the damage on the next strike by 20%. 20 second cooldown.

Just an idea.

JeeFour

10-10-2012

You missed the point of Doran's Items. I'm assuming the cost you propose is still 475g. For those stats, that's a ridiculous buy/ overpowered buy (choose your terminology). The only reason someone wouldn't buy that item to start the game is probably because they're AP and not in the jungle.

All items need trade-offs, therefore creating options and choices, rewards and punishments. Doran's Items are a prime example of this concept.

ChaosToPeace

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeFour View Post
You missed the point of Doran's Items. I'm assuming the cost you propose is still 475g. For those stats, that's a ridiculous buy/ overpowered buy (choose your terminology). The only reason someone wouldn't buy that item to start the game is probably because they're AP and not in the jungle.

All items need trade-offs, therefore creating options and choices, rewards and punishments. Doran's Items are a prime example of this concept.
You have a good point, and no i havent missed the point of Dorans Items.

The Doran Shield upgrade was just an example, and even though the Doran Shield costs 475g, the upgrade may cost a further 900g (Making it 1375g.) This would be making Dorans Items a little less expendible. Im not saying to change Dorans Shield, just add a Tier 2 item to it. Sorry if that wasnt clear the first time.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosToPeace View Post
You have a good point, and no i havent missed the point of Dorans Items.
If you're suggesting an upgrade path to Doran's items, then yes, you missed the point of the items.

All of Doran's items are designed to excel early game, and then fall off after the laning phase. They've even been made to sell for only 50% rather than 75%, to discourage stacking them for long.

ChaosToPeace

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
If you're suggesting an upgrade path to Doran's items, then yes, you missed the point of the items.

All of Doran's items are designed to excel early game, and then fall off after the laning phase. They've even been made to sell for only 50% rather than 75%, to discourage stacking them for long.
Yeah but what im suggesting is a limitto one upgraded Dorans item, so that players do not stack Dorans too much.

I haven't missed the point of Dorans, im just suggesting that the point of Tier 1 Dorans are the same, but the Teir 2 upgrades can be a proper item.

WonderBoy55

10-10-2012

Quote:
Yeah but what im suggesting is a limitto one upgraded Dorans item, so that players do not stack Dorans too much.

I haven't missed the point of Dorans, im just suggesting that the point of Tier 1 Dorans are the same, but the Teir 2 upgrades can be a proper item.
You're missing the point that they also cost an item slot. dorans items do not upgrade and should not for the reasons listed above

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:
Yeah but what im suggesting is a limit to one upgraded Dorans item, so that players do not stack Dorans too much.
You're still suggesting an upgrade to Doran's items.

What about the players who buy a single Doran's Blade/Ring/Shield? Now you're overtly buffing their gameplay, as well as STILL creating a build option that should not exist period.

Never mind that Riot likes to avoid forcing item limitations outside of Unique passives.

ChaosToPeace

10-10-2012

Alright I see your guys point. Was just an idea. Me and my friends have been discussing it facetoface and I was just wondering whateveryone else thought. Cheers.

Just one other thing: Would you think that Haunting Guise needs a Tier 2 item for it?

JustMyBassCannon

10-10-2012

Quote:
Just one other thing: Would you think that Haunting Guise needs a Tier 2 item for it?
I like that kind of discussion.

Now, the problem is trying to decide whether a T2 item is in need of an upgrade path, or if it comes with a unique ability that warrants keeping it T2. For example, Tenacity is a stat that is never going to be on an end-game item because being able to reduce CC effectiveness is a pretty friggin big deal.

Personally, I can see Haunting Guise going one of two ways; either it might get a minor stat buff since it's not particularly inexpensive, or it might be nerfed and then given an upgraded form (not quite end-game, a la Youmuu's). It's actually a pretty solid item as it is, but it could use a minor boost.

ChaosToPeace

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
I like that kind of discussion.

Now, the problem is trying to decide whether a T2 item is in need of an upgrade path, or if it comes with a unique ability that warrants keeping it T2. For example, Tenacity is a stat that is never going to be on an end-game item because being able to reduce CC effectiveness is a pretty friggin big deal.

Personally, I can see Haunting Guise going one of two ways; either it might get a minor stat buff since it's not particularly inexpensive, or it might be nerfed and then given an upgraded form (not quite end-game, a la Youmuu's). It's actually a pretty solid item as it is, but it could use a minor boost.
People i see would rather use Void Staff and/or Sorcerer Shoes on AP carries for the magic penetration. At the moment, the only items that give health and AP are Rylais Crystal Scepter and Rod of Ages. Why dont they make a T2 item for Haunting Guise that still gives health and flat magic penetration, but a little stronger? It would be a little more appealing that way to those squishy AP carries.

Dont increase the magic penetration by too much though, it's quite high as it is.