How did we come back to blitzcrank supposedly being op again?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Invictrix

09-23-2012

What I really don't understand is how we came back to Blitzcrank supposedly being op again.

I mean originally kill lanes bottom were popular and blitzstar was really popular makes sense.

Those went away everyone went to ad carry plus support ok makes sense. I remember everyone saying blitzcrank sucks or he is free gold for the enemy team and it was true. Everytime I saw a blitzcrank I never needed to be afraid of him he was a big golden golem of free money.

Now we are back to blitzcrank supposedly being op again. I have to admit that he is pretty annoying especially if the player is good, and from a zoning standpoint he is pretty impressive as the area he threatens is quite large.

The thing is there are alot more champions now than there were when blitzcrank was popular, and you need to bypass 5 solid and better supports before you look at blitzcrank and say thats the guy we should pick.

Alistar, Soraka, Leona, Taric and Janna are all higher tier supports than blitzcrank.
Leona is basically Blitzcrank the improved version for people who love to run kill lanes.

Blitzcrank is completely viable and a good all around champion and I am always fine with having one on my team, but he really shouldn't be absorbing bans or generating op threads.

lemonpartyfan0

09-23-2012

He is OP, because its his free week. Duh.

Suit of Clubs

09-23-2012

Because a good Blitzcrank can land grabs on the proper enemy

Kionashi

09-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictrix View Post
What I really don't understand is how we came back to Blitzcrank supposedly being op again.

I mean originally kill lanes bottom were popular and blitzstar was really popular makes sense.

Those went away everyone went to ad carry plus support ok makes sense. I remember everyone saying blitzcrank sucks or he is free gold for the enemy team and it was true. Everytime I saw a blitzcrank I never needed to be afraid of him he was a big golden golem of free money.

Now we are back to blitzcrank supposedly being op again. I have to admit that he is pretty annoying especially if the player is good, and from a zoning standpoint he is pretty impressive as the area he threatens is quite large.

The thing is there are alot more champions now than there were when blitzcrank was popular, and you need to bypass 5 solid and better supports before you look at blitzcrank and say thats the guy we should pick.

Alistar, Soraka, Leona, Taric and Janna are all higher tier supports than blitzcrank.
Leona is basically Blitzcrank the improved version for people who love to run kill lanes.

Blitzcrank is completely viable and a good all around champion and I am always fine with having one on my team, but he really shouldn't be absorbing bans or generating op threads.

the fact that one grab means death.

Adrian Umbra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2012

You're right that he shouldn't be generating OP threads. But I'm actually quite alright with him absorbing bans instead of mah loveleh Soraka. ;D

The reason people in low-mid elos hate Blitz is they/their teammates get grabbed by him and killed. He's really good at taking an enemy from a "safe" position and locking them down in an "unsafe" position, which is fantastic when you can let your AD whale on them while it happens. Of the rest of the supports you mentioned, only Alistar can really steal an enemy from a "safe" position in the same way. Leona can certainly lock a person down, especially if they get into an "unsafe" position, but she also often will have to extend and trust her AD carry to follow and support her.

The reason that he's considered less desirable among the pros/high elos is because of a combination of gap closers, skill shot dodges, and better communication. Elementz, who does many of the tier lists people pay attention to, mainly concerns himself with high elo play and doesn't often take into account that a give person doesn't communicate with their teammates or can't dodge skillshots. The other "higher tier" supports will often generate a heck of a lot more threat or supportability throughout the game, which is why they're rated higher.

Lastly, the reason he's popular now is Flavor of the Month. See Jayce, Rengar, Alistar, and Malphite as current other popular champs. People used to think Malph was trash and before a few months ago, Jayce was considered quite lackluster. Now look at them.

Ragebeard Manric

09-23-2012

Because Riot nerfed the living **** out of every single non-kill lane support champion in the game to the point that sustain lanes are almost non-existent (and get countered by kill lanes anyways in the first place).

Think about it. You can't just nerf Janna, Sona, Soraka, and Lulu, and not expect to see a massive power swing in what is considered "strong" supports. It's all about kill lanes now, because passive supports aren't as good, and who does kill lanes better than Blitz?

I play supports, and I main Janna. I can tell you first hand that Janna and Raka and Sona aren't BAD supports, but it is a HELL of a time staying afloat in lane against a kill lane now. I think that Janna is the most powerful passive support in the game now, because she has so much CC, you can reasonably block an engage especially post-6. Raka can't save your life anymore at all, and Sona and Lulu are semi-aggressive supports so that's kind of different.

Jexious

09-23-2012

Mained Ezreal for skill shots.

Play Blitzcrank as support.

Yell skillshot, grab, uppercut, have my vayne stun a hoe, GG.

Kagami

09-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictrix View Post

your post was good til here, but to claim Leona is a higher tier support than blitzcrank is absurd, Leona is need of buffs for months being stuck at her 45% win rate, and is picked a lot less than blitzcrank in every elo of the game (if you had said Nunu instead, it might be debatable).

Adrian Umbra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
your post was good til here, but to claim Leona is a higher tier support than blitzcrank is absurd, Leona is need of buffs for months being stuck at her 45% win rate, and is picked a lot less than blitzcrank in every elo of the game (if you had said Nunu instead, it might be debatable).
Leona actually used to be more popular, especially in highest ELO, where the fact that Leona's skillshot pierced minions became a much greater advantage.

X74X

09-23-2012

Because people fail to realize that "annoying =/= OP".