Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Katarina... Q or W?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DM Lee

Recruiter

09-23-2012

personally i like to max her W sinister steel first. i feel like this really ups your potential for damage simply because of the REALLY low cooldown and since im rushing my gunblade it scales with ad and ap while bouncing blade is an 8 sec cool down at all ranks and only scales ap.

typically i do really well as kat early game and even into mid game shutting down the enemy mid and anyone i gank. late game kat's damage just kinda peaks and you will find you just dont kill people as easily it really comes down to splitsecond timing and judgement to get those triple quad or pentakills.

but yesterday someone on my team was like really harrassing me about my choice to max W before i max Q. saying stuff like "your really lowering her burst potential" and sure i ususally dont go in unless i have Q W E off cd but if you compare Bouncing Blades to Mark of the Assassin (akali Q) you will find that akali is more powerful against a single target. the reason behind this is that Katarina hits multiple targets and in teamfights has more presence when she bounces that dagger to multiple champions and with a proper shunpo can usually hit all 5 champs with W for some significant burst. Kat has better farming with her Q>W combo than akali with her Q simply because of multiple targets.

so i want to ask other Kat players "What do you max first, and why?" old Kat maxed Q new Kat has an abiltity that wasnt there. have you even thought about maxing W first or do you just go on habit and max your Q?

Invictrix

09-23-2012

Well I max Q because most opponents mid are ranged and you need ranged harass to fight them. Against melee opponents like Gragas or Fizz however you might wanna max sinister steel first.

IonDragonX

09-23-2012

Maxing W will lower her burst potential but thats okay by me.
The higher your W, the faster you will farm and the faster you will get good items. So if you have to win the early game, max Q. If you can survive fine and want a stronger mid/late game, max W.

JimmyLeis14

09-23-2012

I like maxing her w first. I'm guessing it does more damage too , helps you escape/chase and has lower cooldown per level. The Q has a static cooldown which is bad

DM Lee

Recruiter

09-23-2012

bump

Kagehisa

Recruiter

09-23-2012

Quote:
JimmyLeis14:
I like maxing her w first. I'm guessing it does more damage too , helps you escape/chase and has lower cooldown per level. The Q has a static cooldown which is bad

I think you have your skills backwards.

Armageddal

09-23-2012

Depending on how you play her, and on what situation you're in, Q and W are both appropriate choices. Having your primary damage potential coming from your low cool down W allows you to use your abilities to farm from a distance, and to quickly clear waves, without opening yourself up to easy harassment.

If you focus your Q and use it to get some CS that would ordinarily be out of reach, your opponent now has 8 seconds of free harassment, since you just lost all your burst damage output. However, you should still focus Q against opponents that you can't easily dodge or duel, since you will have to harass them from a distance to have any chance of winning the lane.

If your opponent is a skill shot champion who relies heavily on a single skill shot for damage output, such as Ahri or Lux, then you will want to focus on your W, because you will gain more sustained damage output and, frankly, more burst damage (you will instantly auto-attack after using your W, adding to the burst; buy Sheen to take the most advantage of this). You can easily dodge their harassment and follow it up with a strong burst of damage, and several auto-attacks from the hefty +44% movement speed buff.

Also, her new W makes her excellent as a hybrid chaser. For more information on this build, please see my thread: "Creativity is not Trolling", which can, for the moment, be found in the Champion Feedback forum.