Hybridpen marks/quints

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrignardTS

09-23-2012

After a lot of testing, I truly believe that these hybridpen runes are just plain best in slot for maximum damage output for both Teemo (any build really) and AP Ezreal.

AP Ez still AAs a lot early, and grabbing an early Sheen (into a later LB) makes you hit very hard. The arpen also effects your LB.

Teemo just plain AAs so much that's its worth it.

If you do the math, effectively gain 133% of the stats of normal straight arpen or mpen.

You actually don't techically 'loose' mpen on either of these characters by going both marks and quints. You have a total of 9 mpen and 16 arpen with them both and grabbing the 6 flat arpen from the Offense tree makes for a total of 22 arpen. Squishies beware.

Reikken

09-23-2012

If you do 66:33 magic:physical damage or thereabouts, they're good. But if it's 50:50 or more physical you're probably better off with armor pen since you get more total pen that way.

GrignardTS

09-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikken View Post
If you do 66:33 magichysical damage or thereabouts, they're good. But if it's 50:50 or more physical you're probably better off with armor pen since you get more total pen that way.
I think that applies to Teemo and AP EZ :O

Was more comparing them to using just mpen marks. The difference is amazing.

lbgsloan

09-23-2012

I use hybrid pen on a few champions these days but don't buy the actual hybrid pen runes, they're a colossal waste of IP. I use the following set up for my hybrid pen page, and it gives the same numbers with only the minor sacrifice of three glyph slots while saving thousands of IP (since most players should already have at least the marks):

9 apen marks
3 mpen quints
3 mpen glyphs

Basically it's a good plan on any champion that's going to be doing heavy magic damage, but will still be autoattacking a lot. Teemo, Lichbane users that don't convert into 100% magic damage, Sona, Kayle, certain tanks, and maaaaybe Skarner and Jax.

Aroyok

09-25-2012

I tried hybrid pen on Skarner. Ultimately, I concluded that attack speed is better. If I were to pick a penetration type for Skarner(and any other champion) though, I'd go with MPen, or whatever their primary damage type is(or will be depending on how you're planning to play).

Phourc

09-25-2012

What about say, Fizz with a Lichbane? Or Shyvana...

I was working on a page of them for both but I haven't played either in ages D:

Aroyok

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
What about say, Fizz with a Lichbane? Or Shyvana...

I was working on a page of them for both but I haven't played either in ages D:
Lichbane gives you a HUGE AD auto attack, but otherwise, isn't Fizz all magic damage? I think you could make a decent case for Shyvanna...primarily physical damage but that fire does a ton of magic damage...I like to think of it in terms of both Skarner and Jax - You're primarily a physical damage dealer, but you have a ton of magic damage too...that makes it hard for people to build defense against you.(And of course, with Skarner and Jax you could reverse it and deal primarily magic damage with added physical damage)

Phourc

09-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroyok View Post
Lichbane gives you a HUGE AD auto attack, but otherwise, isn't Fizz all magic damage?
Well even assuming no lichbane yet, fizz's Q does a full autoattack (and applies onhits) and each hit of the W magic damage comes on top of a normal auto - I wasn't particularly sure if it was the way to go, but that's why I was kinda-sorta working on the rune page to test it. In theory a good chunk of his burst is physical damage, but I wasn't sure if it was worth picking up a bit of pen to augment it or not...

Aroyok

09-26-2012

Well pooop, I need to play Fizz and learn his kit. I was under the impression that he was destroying me so much because my death recap from him was almost always purple.

SCIENCE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2012

I run hybrid pen on Malphite, Sona and Warwick. I also like hybrid marks on Akali for Sheen procs.

I feel like most champs, even the "hybrid" champs like Kayle and Jax, benefit more from going one way or the other, however, a lot of tankier champs benefit from being able to auto when on cooldown. As noted, it can also be good with magic damage champs trying to benefit from sheen procs like Sona, Alistar, varieties of Skarner and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgsloan View Post
don't buy the actual hybrid pen runes, they're a colossal waste of IP.
It isn't about the IP; it's about the efficiency. Hybridizing non-hybrid penetration runes is a 'colossal waste' of rune slot efficiency since you lose the power doing so when you would have been better off using the one or the other on a given page. Hybrid runes exist as a niche specifically because they're better than trying to get hybrid penetration from non-hybrid runes.