Always Banned: The Same 4 or 5 Champs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Airship Engineer

09-22-2012

they are balanced they're just annoying

Põõpsmith

09-22-2012

The problem isn't the champs, or even their balance, it's the meta. They're champs that break the common meta, and all but 2000+ ELO seem to know how to deal with them properly. And unfortunately, finding a good combo to play against these anti-meta champs is less of a priority than just banning them.

The only time period where Shen wasn't top ban was when he was so weak it was pointless to play him. Low shields, 6 feet of nerfs into the grave, and decreased base stats, if I recall correctly. His utility was pointless, and he would often ult in just to give the enemy two kills instead of one.

By-the-way, another reason why people probably hate Shen, is his amazing escapes. Easy to just ult a teamate, and gone in a few seconds, or just sheild/dash over walls and escape even some of the best chasers. I've done it too many times to count, where their chaser follows me, I dash over short walls/corners, shield when an ability or attack might hit me, repeat, and cover the entire map to finally get into my base safe and sound. And with some decent AP for his shield, able to survive ADC ults that normally pick off the escapees. All with only 5-10% health the whole time.

Snes C

09-23-2012

I think Morgana's laning phase should be made less safe in exchange for a little more punch late game if she still manages to get ahead. As it is, she can drop three levels in Tormented Soil, one in Black Shield, one in Dark Binding, and one in her ultimate, and enjoy one of the safest farming experiences in the game. And that's without a single point of AP.

mr underhilI

09-23-2012

they get banned, not because they are op, well some of them are (shen) but they get banned because they bring so much cc and 1200 to 1600 elo people usually cant dodge a blitz grab or fake an alistar combo.

thats why they dont get banned in tournament games, because a morgana ult = everyone runing away from her, and then regrouping, when the ult ends. making it half useless.

the real terrors are late game champions like ryze maok vayne kogmaw TF etc..

those champs in the hand of a skilled player can beat a daruis / shen /kassdin anytime.

The Blue Jelly

09-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea De Penserhir View Post
In that case, in Solo Queue, a person is banning for two reasons

1. The champion is a hard counter to their style of play or usual champion selection.
2. The champion brings an annoying mechanic that changes the pace of the game.

Specific examples

A) Shen in either jungle or Top Lane, at level 6, essentially turns the game into a very passive match because he exerts a huge amount of map pressure with his ultimate. He's free to farm Top / In the Jungle. He can split push, which solo queue players are not well versed in dealing with. Shen gets banned not because he's powerful, but because he's annoying.
B) Alistar / Blitzcrank. You never know who your team is, or how good they are. Blitzcrank and Alistar punish overextension to game-ending degrees, and thus they get banned because you don't want to risk your win on people you likely never met.
C) Darius is trash, and your guess is as good as mine on this one.
D) Ezrael, Morgana, Kassadin. Ezrael gets banned because he's a great pick, and because people watch tournaments and think you should ban whatever does well in tournaments. Morgana gets banned because she has an annoying dynamic that is counter intuitive to what most players learn; She/s a mage that DIVES YOUR TEAM, and she wins because of it. Kassdin gets banned because many people haven't learned that chasing is bad and that a 4.2 second flash means Kassadin goes where he pleases.
You also have to remember that metasheep are another problem when it comes to bans.

Darius is the hardest example of this. He's a counter-bruiser-bruiser, and people like to go top on bruisers. If I ban him it's because the idiot picking second on my team declared he's going top on something that isn't ranged, and there's nothing else screaming at me for needing a ban (rarely is, I tend to just ask my team what they want banned).

Kassidin is also banned because of his anti-meta nature. He's an antimage mage. Easiest way to make him a moot point is to just send your RADC mid and run bot as a mage/support kill/poke lane. Sure your mage will be a little gimped, but nowhere near as bad as Kass will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus the Friend View Post
You don't know much about MOBAs do you(?)

How about this, I will get 4 people and myself and we will have every banned character(Shen/Malphite/Morgana/Blitz/Corki) and you can play every other character.

We will play 10 matches and if you manage to beat us twice, you will have proven your point.

They are overpowered.
Only thing OP about them is your ineptitude. If I'm picking my entire team I can all but guarantee we *will* win the majority of those games. They're pubstompers, simple counterbuilding or even/better playing negates your mid and your bot (respectively). Malph is only really dangerous if we have a MADC of any form, otherwise he's just a portable knockup that requires us to stand an inch further apart, and I'll see your Shen and raise you a Nasus against him. Where is your map presense now? Throwing the game? Thought so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnesController View Post
I think Morgana's laning phase should be made less safe in exchange for a little more punch late game if she still manages to get ahead. As it is, she can drop three levels in Tormented Soil, one in Black Shield, one in Dark Binding, and one in her ultimate, and enjoy one of the safest farming experiences in the game. And that's without a single point of AP.
Her early is also safe because even if shut down in lane, she'll still be flash-ult-zhonyasing. She's guaranteed to do *something* late game.

Should also note she has one of the best AP scalings in the league single-target, and her ult can tag an entire team for 0.7 to 1.4 D/AP

Leave her alone; to buff her damage you'd have to massively nerf her utility, and she's already got pretty damn good damage.

Oh and sorry for typos, wrote this on my phone lol

IonDragonX

09-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppsmith View Post
The problem isn't the champs, or even their balance, it's the meta. They're champs that break the common meta, and all but 2000+ ELO seem to know how to deal with them properly.
While I agree that the metagame gets broken with these champs, I don't agree that the very good players fail to deal with them properly. I think its because the 2000+ elo players actually are better at exploiting the meta and they know that these champs have 'unfair' advantages.

Nea De Penserhir

09-23-2012

Shen, Malphite, Blitz, Corki, Morgana.

o.o Where's the damage? It's all burst, and the burst isn't even that good to begin with. A Wukong/Annie team alone, not accounting for the other champions, would near invalidate this team because they could wtf-auto-kill Morgana and Corki before the team would react to protect them.

And Wukong/Annie isn't even that strong a combo.

naotasan

09-23-2012

Riot balances their game around the meta, not the actual game. That's the first problem

Zeiitgeist

09-23-2012

Who bans Darius lmfao

daxter

09-23-2012

kassadin is not op