About all this "pirated" art

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AppleDough

09-22-2012

The Kayle thread is correct, there are some similarities in many of the art splashes. But here is the reality.

It doesn't matter if some thing looks very similar to an artist, there are parody clauses and free use acts that allows people to do this.

It is only if you don't take the picture and turn it into your own. So, since whoever is doing the splash art for Riot is taking another picture for inspiration, and turning it into their own, it isn't copyright theft.

Now in some cases if adjustments need to be made to help out the original artist, if they are losing money off the art for some reason or it is affecting their personal gain, so be it.

Other than that, it is all fair game. Why do you think Robot Chicken is on air for so long? Why do you think all those t-shirts at Hot Topic parodying Mario or whoever get to be sold for so long?

In my opinion, if you take something and make it into your own, even if the picture has the base stance or background, it shouldn't matter.

Another example, Rengar and Kha'zix. Obviously Alien vs Predator. BUT, since Riot has taken the idea and made it into their own with art and lore, you cannot file a lawsuit against them.

If people went around filiing lawsuits for everything, like if someone said "Hey that plat former looks like Mario, sue sue sue!" Nothing would ever get to get made.

tl;dr parody clause for art, fix some blatant chinese art, no need to sue anyone since Riot makes every character unique at some point.

GiantEvilKitten

09-22-2012

The rocks are exactly the same...

Ramoth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2012

identical =/= parody.

Example: Weird Al has to get permission before copying the musical tune first, he can't just add his own lyrics and call it a day, as the music itself would be identical. See "ice ice baby" controversy for more on that topic.

But no, the rocks are the same. That is infringement.

Pulsative

09-22-2012

Check out this painting I made. I made it myself, took some inspiration you know from some other picture. Didn't just take the art and put something on top of it. Self made you know.

Ep1cLeprechaun

09-22-2012

Robot Chicken isn't merchandising celebrity's likenesses. The issue here is that it wasn't a case of "Two artists with similar concepts", it was a case of "copy pasting someone Else's art". And that, IS illegal, provided the copied art is a legally protected work.

msgerbs

09-22-2012

You'd fit right in in China, they have similarly shady views of copyrights, trademarks, and patents.

wonnered

09-22-2012

Your point would be correct except for the fact that the rock to the right in the Kayle splash is completely copy-paste.
The rock on the bottom was cropped out but it's still technically copy pasting that corner.

Alecyte

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramoth View Post
identical =/= parody.

Example: Weird Al has to get permission before copying the musical tune first, he can't just add his own lyrics and call it a day, as the music itself would be identical. See "ice ice baby" controversy for more on that topic.

But no, the rocks are the same. That is infringement.
I believe music is different. I thought that you could only copyright lyrics and that beats were basically free property?

Ardarel

09-22-2012

Oh hey, I wrote this 10 page paper, and I copy/pasted a full paragraph directly from the source, but its fine because its just one paragraph and i moved some of the sentences around so they aren't in the same order.

S'all good right?

Ep1cLeprechaun

09-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecyte View Post
I believe music is different. I thought that you could only copyright lyrics and that beats were basically free property?
Nope, the sheet music of a song can be copyrighted. A lot of controversy over stolen songs has happened in the music industry.