Give Xerath's ult an ammo system

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Still Eternity

10-10-2012

Bump~

superkill3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

nooo dont i build abilety cooldown dont ruin mt xer

Raptamei

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannamoth View Post
I've been delaying posting in this thread because of time constraints and wanting to make a decent post about it.

My thoughts on an ammo system for Xerath:

I'm actually quite afraid of moving Xerath's ult to an ammo system. In order to balance out the fact that Xerath can pop you with an ult charge almost whenever he wants, you would need to reduce something it does now, ie range/damage/number of max charges.

One thing I do like that the ammo system solves is Xerath feeling like a limp noodle whenever his ult is on cooldown. It would allow you to get an EQR combo off and harass your opponents more than once every 60 seconds (which to be fair is super short).

In regards to giving Xerath more poke via ammo system:

I actually don't think he's deficient at poking right now. Once you get your Q/W leveled up you can rattle off long range poke constantly. I think the usability of his W and passive need to be addressed before his ultimate.

Disclaimer: These are my personal thoughts.
TBH that 60 second cooldown with fairly low damage is exactly in that limbo between "smoke it when you got it" (Lux) and "better keep this for teamfights" (most other people).

It is too precious to just waste it on harrassment, because the lane opponent will get his health back or go b before it comes off cooldown again (at level 1 the dps is only 50% higher than the regen on a philo stone) and you can't possibly kill him without your ult - only Lux can get away with this because her short cooldown ult has a really short cooldown. At the same time Xerath doesn't hit hard even with his ult up in order to balance out his short cooldown.

My suggestion: Reduce his ult cooldown even more, to Lux levels, and reduce its damage to Lux levels as well. This gives him something to actually do in lane other than QQQQQQQQ until the stars go out, and because the ult is now spammable you can actually deal damage more than once per minute.

Magus Magi

10-14-2012

^...so much ^.

BestJungleAnnie

10-14-2012

Yeah i agree on this one.

Magus Magi

10-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptamei View Post
TBH that 60 second cooldown with fairly low damage is exactly in that limbo between "smoke it when you got it" (Lux) and "better keep this for teamfights" (most other people).

It is too precious to just waste it on harrassment, because the lane opponent will get his health back or go b before it comes off cooldown again (at level 1 the dps is only 50% higher than the regen on a philo stone) and you can't possibly kill him without your ult - only Lux can get away with this because her short cooldown ult has a really short cooldown. At the same time Xerath doesn't hit hard even with his ult up in order to balance out his short cooldown.

My suggestion: Reduce his ult cooldown even more, to Lux levels, and reduce its damage to Lux levels as well. This gives him something to actually do in lane other than QQQQQQQQ until the stars go out, and because the ult is now spammable you can actually deal damage more than once per minute.
I totally agree. The fact that Xerath is notoriously ult reliant increases this problem tenfold. When his ult is up, and you have even the slightest feeling that something is about to kick off, you know that you have to save it or risk being useless.

Still Eternity

10-14-2012

Bamp!

Still Eternity

10-16-2012

Bump!

Grann Brigitte

10-16-2012

I've played a ton of xerath- in season 1, he was my main, and I was keeping over a 60% win rate with him at around 1800~ elo. I think he is mostly fine, but he's just a little too easy to counter. Because he is -so- reliant on poking and then evaporating one person with his ult, any kind of mitigation effect can really ruin his day. He's not -that- easy to assasinate, as one of the most dangerous things you can do midgame is just run up to a xerath who has ult, but champs like ahri and kass are just ****ing brutal against him, as is any assasin who builds their abyssal early.

What xerath needs most of all is a more effective passive. Forever ago there was talk of changing it, but I came back after a year and he still has a mediocre armor buff. Personally, I'd advocate either changing his passive to magic resist (why does accumulating arcane power increase his armor, anyway?) to help him handle ap assasins or something which rewards him for poking (spell cooldowns lowered when striking at range, bonus damage when long ranged, etc).

Given the way I play him, I would actually enjoy a passive like:

Fate of the Unseeing: Xerath's abilities deal X% more damage to enemies which cannot see him.

This passive gives you a reward for being able to position well and poke enemies. Due to his W, xerath is uniquely suited to using this passive, as he can set it up so that he is far removed from the thick of the fight but still dropping damage in. It also encourages players to ward, which is always nice.

Still Eternity

10-16-2012

Never Gunna Give you Up

Never Gunna Let you Down.