The best way to play Skarner?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kallana

09-21-2012

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to build and play this guy. The guides at solomid.net nearly all say to go jungle with him. In 5v5 is it best to jungle or lane with him? Should I build him tanky or with more atk speed?

ASYLUM101

09-21-2012

Jungle him, you build him 100% tank except for the triforce - like Irelia.

You can do other odd builds with a wits end or the situational defense/damage item but overall - the tanky triforce is the best way to go.

Key stats are movement speed, resists, and CDR. You get enough HP with a triforce and shurelias but you can go for more by grabbing a randuins or sunfire or hell even a banshees or warmogs.

Most players do this build:

start regen pendant + pot for jungle
do your blue -> double golems standard route. ( i shouldn't have to explain this look it up)
if you can gank, gank, otherwise B and buy a philo stone.
do more jungling, gank when you can especially if you hit 6, you should always be ganking when ult is up.
buy boots -> mobility/mercs depending on how you're doing.
Some people go for heart of gold into randuins, but randuins isn't too good for skar so...

From here you try to finish these items based on what you need -
Doing well, buy phage.
Need to be tankier, buy frozen heart or negatron then frozen heart. Early frozen heart is great on skar.
Finish Shurelias ASAP. The MS boost + your W makes sure no one can escape unless they blow flash or something.

Standard build:
Mercs, Triforce, Frozen Heart, Force of nature, Shurelias, whatever. Last item can be HP, GA, or even a gunblade. *shrug*

NEVER build a wriggles. You DONT need it.

ALWAYS start philo stone - you NEED the shurelias, even if your support has one.

This build is pretty awesome too - good luck affording it though:
ROA, Mercs, Gunblade, Triforce, Frozen Heart, something else for MR.

That build... I used ONCE for the hell of it since I was so far ahead and it was just hilarious. I got so much shield power and sustain from E I could not die. Seriously though, don't use it unless you're realllly far ahead. He's not a carry, don't build him like one, build him tanky.

Kallana

09-21-2012

Thank you for such a well-detailed post. That was just the kind of advice I was looking for so thank you. I take it movement speed quints are a must on him, right? When I can afford it I will probably buy atk speed reds and movement speed quints, then use armor yellows and MR blues.

APXZ

09-21-2012

I respect the 1st commenters opinion, but I and every professional player I've seen has done something different.

Start boots 3 like every jungler and their dog. AS marks and MS quints are the best for him. 0-21-9 masteries. Witt's and sunfire are his core damage items- Tforce only if you are rolling. Tanks shouldn't be building HP- the point of a tank is to be a threat while staying alive. If you can absorb damage like no tomorrow but do 0 anything else you aren't a very good champion, ala rammus.

He scales well off CDR, AS, and MS. A good final build for him would be something like:

Witt's
Mercs
Sunfire
Shureylas
Randuins
FoN/Heart/Tforce

Kagami

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by APXZ View Post
I respect the 1st commenters opinion, but I and every professional player I've seen has done something different.

Start boots 3 like every jungler and their dog. AS marks and MS quints are the best for him. 0-21-9 masteries. Witt's and sunfire are his core damage items- Tforce only if you are rolling. Tanks shouldn't be building HP- the point of a tank is to be a threat while staying alive. If you can absorb damage like no tomorrow but do 0 anything else you aren't a very good champion, ala rammus.

He scales well off CDR, AS, and MS. A good final build for him would be something like:

Witt's
Mercs
Sunfire
Shureylas
Randuins
FoN/Heart/Tforce
Eh I think sunfire is pretty awful on skarner personally (I'd rather take FoN/FH + TForce), but otherwise good item choices. And Frozen Heart is a must build if your mid needs blue and your top isn't going to get it.

Pitufito Dell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2012

I'm pretty sure that Skarner can go straight tanky AP, whit nice results.

Kallana

09-21-2012

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to try the builds posted here and see what works best for me.

Quick question: Until I can afford the AS reds and MS quints, would this be a viable rune set-up?

Mpen marks
armor yellows
MR blues
AP quints

Pitufito Dell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2012

He benefit from Arp, Mpen, AS, AP, AD, so yes, they are fine I think.

Kagami

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallana View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to try the builds posted here and see what works best for me.

Quick question: Until I can afford the AS reds and MS quints, would this be a viable rune set-up?

Mpen marks
armor yellows
MR blues
AP quints
Mpens marks don't increase jungle clear times at all since most jungle creeps have zero MR. Arp or flat AD would help more. and AP quints are ok, if you lack flat AD as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitufito Dell View Post
I'm pretty sure that Skarner can go straight tanky AP, whit nice results.
I've only ever seen AP/tanky skarner successful in solo top with a rather strange build(I was spectating at 1900s ELO match and saw it), in jungling it just doesn't work well enough imo,

Kallana

09-21-2012

Okay so I just did a game with him. I did pretty bad. . .1/8/9. I was using Mpen reds/armor yellows/atk spd blues and MS quints. My build was:

Merc boots
Sherelya's
Frozen Heart
Randuins
Sunfire Cape (almost, didn't complete it)

My team was pretty squishy. I had Cait, Fiora, Teemo and Gragas on my team. Enemy team was Rengar, Amumu, Jax, Xin Zhao and Lux. Rengar got fed over 20 kills which sucked.

I ganked whenever I could and used my ult on Xin, Lux and Rengar mainly. Sometimes I used it on Amumu when he strayed too far from the team.

All in all, I'm not sure if I had a bad first game with him or if there was just no hope due to the team we were up against. Jax's stun screwed my ult up once or twice.