Creative Design AMA - Kha'Zix, the Voidreaver

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2012

It would appear as if Kha'Zix's preferred prey tend to lean on the side of monstrous in origin. This seems like it would be likely in it would be easier for Kha'Zix to benefit from the natural base power of these types of creatures/champions. Does this mean Kha'Zix would be largely uninterested in human prey? Based on the comment about Jax, I'm curious if this would be the case and if so how far it would go. Also, are there any limitations on how he can harness and evolve a prey besides by species? For instance, if Kha'Zix opted to devour Nautilus. How would this result? I see you've noted the possibility for the like of Karthus and Anivia as interesting without expansion. So feel free to skip the last one here if you consider it answered.

And to return to the earlier Spider Queen general quandary (thank you for the response). You mention that he has devoured spiders prior. That's plural. Does perhaps Kha'Zix's point of origin stem from around the Plague Jungles or Kumungu Jungle? If the spiders in question were considered worthy enough prey for the void born, I would imagine they'd have to be of some size. If this is the case, how close is Kha'Zix's classic concept to his true form given how his flow of evolution works?

ZapMyHeart

09-21-2012

Can we expect more great champions to come from the Void in the near future? Also, are all the denizens from the Void always hungry? Those from the Void always seem to have a monstrous appetite (Kog, Cho, and now Kha' Zix).

Goau

09-21-2012

I read the lore bit, a little disappointed to find how vague it was, but it does provide some juicy information for my favorite topic in LoL: The Void. I took out a few things I found interesting from the lore, so I apology for this being a long post. And, in advance, I apologize if some of the areas are misspelled. The only map of the LoL continent I have is kinda small.

1. "infiltrated Valoran to devour the land's most promising creatures"
2. "he was fragile and ravenous"
3. The animals he first encountered were too small to fuel the rapid evolution he craved. Kha'Zix focused his hunger on the most dangerous creatures he could find"
4. "With each kill he feasted and changed, becoming a stronger, faster predator."
5. "one who could match the Void's strength"

Cho'Gath's lore says his kind have been poking at the divide between the Void and Runeterra, so there is a barrier between the two that is not easy to pass through. Kog'Maw's lore says he was drawn to Runeterra by a kind of beacon that eventually allowed Kog'Maw to manifest himself into Valoran. Kassadin's lore says he became what he is in a decaying cyclopean city. Finally, Malzahar's lore says he journeyed to Icathia and became the prophet he is. If I understand it, all of these originate in Icathia. Kha'Zix, by what his lore says, arrived in a more fertile, grassland or jungle area.

So, did Kha'Zix arrive in Icathia, a desert area where most creatures are small and hide during the day, or did he arrive closer to Rengar's territory, like the Yoodoo Lands or Kumungu? Please answer this one is none of my other questions. I really want to know if the Void is only connected to Shurima and Icathia.

My next question is his hunger to kill and feast. The lore says he hunts for prey that can potentially hurt or even kill him, so he needs a challenge rather than a meal, unlike the other Void beings we know of who think only of eating. If Kha'Zix's intentions are to hunt, kill, feast, and grow in strength, why is he not imprisoned like Cho'Gath? Or, a better question, does the League realize he is using them to gauge his own strength?

Nayuki7

09-21-2012

If Kha'Zix were to devour Ahri, would he evolve into something more pleasing to the eye?

TheMeta88

09-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thCenturyFaux View Post
Kha'Zix understands perfectly why he is in Valoran, but how is more mysterious. The mechanics of entering this realm from another get into technical realms of magic that he has no interest in.

Kha'Zix's blood is not acidic, and it is unlikely he would desire such an adaptation--dissolved prey is useless to him. I'm not sure I understand the other question. "Godzilla approach", "xenomorph approach" ? My instinct is that he uses neither approach, but I don't really know what you mean.

....not sure if trolling or if you don't know Sci Fi 101. Godzilla is Godzilla. Please don't represent Riot at the tokyo Game Show if you guys go there. Xenomorphs...Alien and Aliens. Nough said. But I do think your trolling.

I find the first question here very interesting. Kha'Zix has initially very little knowledge of who's in the League, but as he learns more, his targets change. At a very simple physical level, he would look at champions such as Volibear, Rammus, and Warwick as good targets for devouring because he could take some of their physical characteristics to adapt himself. If he devoured his way into an expanded intellect, however, his purview changes. He would likely become curious about his own nature--can he devour magic? Could he adapt Anivia's phoenix nature to defy death? He would find an expanded menu. Can he devour mages? The undead? More interesting questions. But then there's that special category. If Kha'Zix devours his way to an expanded mind, he may come to understand beings that threaten him or the Void on an existential level. These would be beings to kill and never devour, because Kha'Zix would never want to be anything like these most loathsome of creatures.

The nature of the Void is so terrible and alien that to discuss it here would be a misstep. I do not want a bunch of forumites driven mad by Mal'zahar style visions!

Kekekekekeeke. While your here, I had an idea. We have had creatures who have come over from the void. We have had people see "into" the void. Could there be a Voidwalker? Speculation go! Perhaps, a tortured soul who has spent a long time fighting the horrors of the void while being trapped in the void itself.

I do not know if Rengar and Cho have met. Cho's size would likely impress Rengar, possibly making him think of Cho as a greater prize, but I think after pursuing Cho the lack of a personal tie would bring him back to the hunt for Kha'Zix. For Cho's part, he would devour Rengar without a second thought if he had the chance. If he found Rengar to be hunting Void beings, Cho would take a very dim view of that, but he would not get in Kha'Zix's way.

Consumption and study are the same for Kha'Zix. To understand something, he devours it. Answers about the Void question are further up this post.

Kha'Zix is the exact opposite of static. He is living change, and he looks at the time he spends not changing the way that we look at time spent in the elevator or waiting in line. His skills are limited only to what he can eat, and while his interest is very focused, it is not focused on consumption. Rather, it is focused on the idea of becoming. Kha'Zix wants to grow and change and adapt, forever; he picks up and discards other interests and agendas only in that they service his endless change.

The nature of the Void is inscrutable, but clues abound...

Kha'Zix respects and fears Kog'Maw's "daddy". Beyond that, he will not say.

Could he be the higher order that has "given" Kha his mission?

To speak to the heart of your point rather than the individual specifics, this is much of why we prefer to focus on the stories of the characters themselves and leave the League up to the players' imaginations. These obstacles you describe are only present if we sit down and say that X and Y happened in Summoner's Rift et cetera. If we focus on the story outside the league and leave the fields of justice to the players' imagination, it works better on all counts.

We give richer characters more room to grow both by ensuring they have better foundation and by making sure we don't limit their potential by, say, preventing resolution to their conflict. This also frees us up to talk more about our champions and the world they live in. Kha'Zix and Rengar are extremely likely to resolve their arc outside the League, but if players want to imagine a League encounter that ends their story, they certainly can--the fields of justice have always been the place in our world where players decide what happens.

Yep! Kha'Zix has been in development in varying stages for a long, long time. Far longer than either Rengar or Syndra, actually. Answers to the Glorious Evolution question are earlier in this thread.
Also, on a couple points you act as if Kha has been a willing participant in a sort of discussion interview. Is this just you not knowing or the idea that the League actually sat and tried to talk to Kha. A sort of judgement style thing. If so, how much does the league hope to gain from these "interviews"? How cooperative are some champions? I could see Rengar being an easy chat. Syndra a bit more difficult. But a creature of death, adaptation and evolution coming from a place that almost nothing is known of would seem to blunt any questions imo. So how does Kha respond?

Other responses in bold.

Redeemed In Fire

09-21-2012

Quote:
Kha'Zix's blood is not acidic, and it is unlikely he would desire such an adaptation--dissolved prey is useless to him. I'm not sure I understand the other question. "Godzilla approach", "xenomorph approach" ? My instinct is that he uses neither approach, but I don't really know what you mean.
He's referring to Alien-style infestation vs more conventional "smash em to bits and start munching": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(...se)#Facehugger

9Point

09-21-2012

How do summoners feel about Kha'Zix? Or other Void champs?
- I mean people are willingly "summoning" a void creature whose intentions are almost entirely unknown...

How do the nations feel about these Void creatures?
I mean Cho, seems like he has always had a presence.
But Kog, Malz, and now Kha'Zix... Do the nations like Ionia and Demacia feel threatened by these appearances?
-A follow up being, how do nations like Zuan and Noxis feel about this? I mean, it seems in terms of the war Noxis and Zuan had no chance of winning (even while employing less admirable tactics). But with these Void creatures become more and more "common", are there plots to employ the same technology that made Sion, Singed famous to Void creatures?
- Second follow up being, will there be any expeditions to these creatures place of origin?

Ding an Sich

09-21-2012

How would those who have seemingly shrewed minds, or other wordly power fair being absorbed by Khaz? For example but not limited to: swain. You have touched on if he were to absorb those with high intellect it actually may lead to an inferior path because it would stray from what he believes the perfect goal to be, but generally those with a vast and cruel intelligence have powers that would be much desired, no?

Dr Clueless PhD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2012

Quote:
We give richer characters more room to grow both by ensuring they have better foundation and by making sure we don't limit their potential by, say, preventing resolution to their conflict. This also frees us up to talk more about our champions and the world they live in. Kha'Zix and Rengar are extremely likely to resolve their arc outside the League, but if players want to imagine a League encounter that ends their story, they certainly can--the fields of justice have always been the place in our world where players decide what happens.
I'm not so much saying that the events on the Field of Justice are restricting them. I'm very aware that the Champions certainly have lives of their own. I think I worded my last post poorly (or I'm misinterpreting yours, which is entirely possible o.0).

I'm aware that Kha'Zix or Rengar could very well die off of the Fields of Justice, and that is what would likely happen between these two at some point, with one of them killing the other. Rather, I'm saying that by virtue of them being Champions, it can't happen in established canonical lore. Riot couldn't say "Kha'Zix killed Rengar. We're now deleting him from the game. I hope you enjoyed playing him while you could." Them being Champions doesn't stop their conflict from resolving in-universe, but it does stop it from resolving out-of-universe. So, in a sense, their resolution is prevented, but it's not by anything the Lore team has control of. This was the impossibility I was attempting to highlight in my last post.

Am I a little more coherent this time around?

20thCenturyFaux

QA Analyst

09-21-2012
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek View Post
Ah... I was really looking for that one, being a monster and Void fan.

First, some questions about the Void...

As for Kha'Zix : what does he think about the other Voidborns in Runeterra ? Would he follow the Prophet's orders ? Or does he only care about hunting ? Does he consider Kog'Maw (another one who likes eating stuff) as a younger brother or something ?
I hope these questions have been addressed to your satisfaction in my other posts! They're a bit split up, but generally we prefer the Void to be inscrutable and alien, so I'm rather limited in what I can say.

As for whether Kha'Zix would follow Mal'zahar's orders, or anyone else's for that matter, the answer is no. Kha'Zix advances the Void by his very nature. Orders are unnecessary and unwelcome. If Kha'Zix must do something, it will be done. There will be no orders. And Kha'Zix is quite fond of Kog'Maw, being a little hungry fella who wants to eat so he can grow big and strong :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRush View Post
Hey, a new-ish face! When did you join Creative, Faux? I feel like it was a while ago, but this is your first lore AMA.

Huh, that's a bit of a different take on the hunger of the Void. He seems to be a different creature from Kog'maw, although they're both "young."

What does the League think of the Void now? Was the previous view actually held by the League, or did Senior Summoner Farnsley have a reason to call the Void a lie?
Back in February, but I was on the Skins Team for a while.

And the Void itself is, as always, the subject of terrified whispers and horrible secrets. Any who know keep the details well to themselves, lest awful things hear them speak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelligerentGnu View Post
Why not Qa'zix?

Seriously, massive missed opportunity there.

Did Kha'zix know Cho/Kog before he left the void?
"Qa" can be pronounced "Kwa", and we did not want him to be named "Kwa'zix" for folks who pronounced it that way. "Kh" is also generally associated with dignity and power in a way that "Qa" isn't; "Qa" is more sci-fi and exotic.

For your second question: Yes. He brushed against others beyond our world, in the Void, among them Kog and Cho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbushIntheDark View Post
Has Kha'Zix seen Kassadin's daughter in the void?

Does he prefer to be called Kha or Zix
That's a very interesting question, and I fear I would cheapen it by giving it an answer, so I will give it a question instead: Can Kassadin's daughter go to the Void, and if so, has she been there?

Kha'Zix does not care what food calls him. Personally, I favor "Kha" :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flana Scarlet View Post
Is there a method to Kha'Zix's hunting by now, or does he still ravenously consume indiscriminately?

His lore says that when he first arrived, he slaughtered and ate, risking life going for bigger and bigger prey. Now, with Rengar, he has a specific target to hunt down. Would he still kill to evolve on 'lesser' creatures, or would he only kill to sustain himself before moving on?
He consumes to improve himself, adapting from the strength of the most dangerous creatures he can find. His tastes are very picky, and only become more refined as he grows in power; the deadlier Kha'Zix is, the deadlier his prey must be to give him advantage.

The question of whether he continues to consume and adapt or just go for Rengar is more nuanced. Yes and no, I suppose; he consumes and adapts wihle he hunts Rengar, but the adaptations he chooses are specialized for hunting Rengar. His overall goal is still to become better and stronger, but he thinks the best way to get that is to eat Rengar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbyscheddar View Post
Okay, let me start off saying I love this lore. But take a step back. Replace the word Valoran with Earth. The word void with future. The word Rengar with Goku and the word Kha'Zix with Cell. This lore reminds me of Cell from DBZ.
I'm aware of DBZ but not familiar with it. However, what little I've seen of Cell makes me think he's a schemer and a planner, and that's not who Kha'Zix is. Kha'Zix is also completely divorced from pride; it is his nature to grow and improve, and he does this by devouring. He did this where he was before he came to Valoran, he will do this on Valoran, and he will continue once he has left. He endlessly draws nearer to perfection, but what "perfection" means is based on where Kha'Zix is, what he is doing, what creatures he is hunting and who is trying to stop him; it is not a goal, it's highly subjective and relative. Cell was designed from the ground up as an amalgam of the greatest warriors specifically to create the ultimate warrior; his personality has very human flaws. Kha'Zix started from nothing and adapts to his circumstance; his personality is utterly alien.

To sum it up, Cell is perfection, Kha'Zix is endless adaptation. They're only similar in that they both adapt themselves based on their opposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septicus View Post
SO! Since Kog has a dad, can we assume that Kha'zix has a mother.... a QUEEN perhaps? (You should know where I am going with this...)
The specifics of Void heredity lay beyond the veil, into the realms of horror where mortal minds may not venture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Toenail View Post
If he and Varus fought (off the fields of justice) who would win and why? (Is he even able to devour the shadowy stuff on Varus?)
Who would win? That's another question that's only cheapened if I answer it. Far better to imagine the fight, the angry-but-nervous arrows fired at sounds in the brush... the Void spines stabbing a tree, startling Varus out of the moment he stole to look at his locket... the leap from the treetop with Void blades charged... the corruption flowing out from Varus's outstretched hand to block him... far, far better to imagine the fight.

Kha'Zix can consume the corruption on Varus, but whether he would want to, and what would happen if he did, is a matter of no small speculation. Would Kha'Zix be corrupted, or would Kha'Zix gain the power of corruption itself? Would Kha'Zix be unable to digest the material and be corrupted, only to adapt away from the corruption and discard the tainted flesh like a molting insect? Interesting concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Point View Post
How do summoners feel about Kha'Zix? Or other Void champs?
- I mean people are willingly "summoning" a void creature whose intentions are almost entirely unknown...

How do the nations feel about these Void creatures?
I mean Cho, seems like he has always had a presence.
But Kog, Malz, and now Kha'Zix... Do the nations like Ionia and Demacia feel threatened by these appearances?
-A follow up being, how do nations like Zuan and Noxis feel about this? I mean, it seems in terms of the war Noxis and Zuan had no chance of winning (even while employing less admirable tactics). But with these Void creatures become more and more "common", are there plots to employ the same technology that made Sion, Singed famous to Void creatures?
- Second follow up being, will there be any expeditions to these creatures place of origin?
Answers about summoners are in other posts in this thread. The nations of the world have private opinions about the Void creatures, colored by their awareness level and attitude. Bilgewater, for example, might have bounties posted for strange monsters, shared only among the scurviest of sea dogs. Demacia would view them as a threat and likely keep information hidden to avoid a panic. Noxus would likewise see a military threat, but their response would be more of a power play and less about keeping the populace safe. Ionia's thoughts would turn to Varus's temple, and from there to the war with Noxus, and they would have a great many questions--questions that would lead them astray, I think. Zaun would try to study the Void and that would go badly for them, or worse for the rest of us, it might go well. Enhancing Void creatures with technology is exactly the sort of starry-eyed boneheaded maneuver a Zaunite would perform, and I hope for all of Valoran that they never have the chance to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
How does being in the explosion of his own Void Spike heal Kha'Zix?

(I can semi-understand it in a gameplay perspective, but lore?)
Fundamentally, we prefer not to explain game logic with lore. I can think of a few ideas of how he might heal from his spines, the simplest being that it provides a cloud of genetic samples that he can use to reinvigorate himself, but for me the question is very similar to "how does Kha'Zix use a Bloodthirster?". It's fun to imagine what solutions or circumstances these juxtapositions of game logic and story can lead to, but at the end of the day, we're probably not going to focus on Kha'Zix figuring out how to get his heap of Doran's Blades working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borand View Post
Where are Kha'Zix's wounds from his battle with Rengar? Rengar lost an eye in that fight, Kha'Zix can't have just made it out with no scars at all. Let's not talk about scars in his pride, just the ones he aqcuired on his body. Could his battle with Rengar have hurt him in such way that it would damage his evolution mechanisms/abilities to evolve?

Why did Kha'Zix enter the league instead of devouring even more creatures on Valoran while he could get back on Rengar easier that way? Which of them joined the league first?

Does Kha'Zix evolve only when he devours strong opponents or does he also slowly evolve with weak prey as well? Does his evolutionary potential have a ceiling?

What is Kha'Zix's intelligence level? We know Cho'Gath is really intelligent, and Kog'Maw seems like the exact opposite.
Kha'Zix sustained grievous physical wounds from Rengar in their battle, but since Kha'Zix regrows his base form so frequently, scars are a non-issue. Neither, however, is pride. The scars Kha'Zix bears from Rengar are the wounds of what might have been. Kha'Zix has never encountered a beast as powerful, and he almost devoured and adapted from that strength. The evolution he tasted but could not have looms large in his mind.

Answers about the League are earlier in this thread, I hope! For the second part, I think Kha'Zix has been stalking Rengar since their encounter in the jungle.

Kha'Zix gains no benefit from eating weak prey, and indeed even finds them unpalatable. They taste to him how bland gruel tastes to us. His evolutionary potential has no ceiling, but it does have cases of optimization. Say Kha'Zix spends many years in a desert--he would rapidly become very good and murdering things in that desert, then improve slowly over time. But if he moved to a different desert, or to a jungle, he would change rapidly at first, then settle down into more nuanced refinement again.

Intelligence-wise, Kha'Zix is... interesting. His mind expands beyond what we would consider a normal human mind, but in terms of human intelligence, he's below average. His instincts and cunning are incredible, his spatial awareness is top notch, but his long term planning is humble and his abstract reasoning is unimportant. What's more, his instinct expands beyond the bounds of his brain, into his genetics. In the way that deciding to behave differently is the foundation of sentience, Kha'Zix's genes collectively decide to change themselves as he devours and adapts, and this process is part of Kha'Zix's instinct. Put another way, he has the same instincts we do in terms of not being burned by fire, eating when hungry and so on, but he has extra instincts for what prey is strongest, what adaptations he needs to survive, etc.

12345678 ... 9