Okay so... People tends to depict Diana as a chaotic/evil force.

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carmilia

Senior Member

10-02-2013

And i wonder, why is that?
She's just a someone that went ahead of her tribe to to try and discover whatever happened @ her ancestor's times. Because of believing in something else, people mocked her and was punished because of it. Hell, even when she found out that there were other Tribes some time ago(the lunarii?), she was sentenced to death, even tho she was filled with joy for her discovery. She killed the solari elders in self defense, and probably now holds a grudge against everything that represents the solari because of their dogmatic beliefs.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melancholy Exile

Senior Member

10-02-2013

It's because, in essence, she a religious fanatic bent on destroying all those who refuse to accept her version of events. That's not to say that she isn't a sympathetic character, or lacks legitimate reasons for her quarrel with the Solari, but Diana has given up any hope of finding acceptance with the people of the sun and thus set her mind on purging their 'lies' from the world by force. Beside Leona, the pure hearted guardian and noble paladin, she obviously looks the villain.

She's become every bit as dogmatic and cruel as those who once sought to take her life, while Leona, the face of the Solari, is essentially an innocent in all of this.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carmilia

Senior Member

10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
It's because, in essence, she a religious fanatic bent on destroying all those who refuse to accept her version of events. That's not to say that she isn't a sympathetic character, or lacks legitimate reasons for her quarrel with the Solari, but Diana has given up any hope of finding acceptance with the people of the sun and thus set her mind on purging their 'lies' from the world by force. Beside Leona, the pure hearted guardian and noble paladin, she obviously looks the villain.

She's become every bit as dogmatic and cruel as those who once sought to take her life, while Leona, the face of the Solari, is essentially an innocent in all of this.
Well, i can kinda see your point, but still, what made Diana change her mind, was the decision of the Solari elders to sentence her to death. I mean, she didnt really harm anyone before she found the valley containing the remains of the moon's people. "They would not listen", actually, a quite true thing that happened in her background story. If she gave up finding acceptance, thats because she was a subject of mockery and threated as an heretic.

Yup, she might have changed drastically, but wasnt it because of the purpose of her surviving her death sentence? She's doing exactly what the Solari wanted to do to her.

Theres also no proof that the moon's people (Lunari) are/were signifcantly bad (Unless it goes to the cliche of "Sun = Light, hence good/Moon = Dark, hence bad), and its pretty obvious that the Solari are covering a huge part of the events that happened in the past. And the Solari arent really up to unveil part of those events.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melancholy Exile

Senior Member

10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilia View Post
Yup, she might have changed drastically, but wasnt it because of the purpose of her surviving her death sentence? She's doing exactly what the Solari wanted to do to her.

Theres also no proof that the moon's people (Lunari) are/were signifcantly bad (Unless it goes to the cliche of "Sun = Light, hence good/Moon = Dark, hence bad), and its pretty obvious that the Solari are covering a huge part of the events that happened in the past. And the Solari arent really up to unveil part of those events.
The underlined part is the problem. Two wrongs do not make a right, especially when the one answering pushes the envelope.

The people who ordered Diana executed are now dead and she's judging, and sentencing, the rest of the order by their standard. Rather than drawing a line under the affair and looking to achieve some form of resolution, she's come to the conclusion that the Solari are irredeemable and is now hunting down and killing those who she has no quarrel with beyond their beliefs. The remaining Solari have no real choice but to view her as an enemy, and little incentive to do otherwise based on her past actions, but they themselves are only tangentially aware of the events of Diana's awakening. Leona stands as Diana's nemesis, yet the only reason she opposes the chosen of the moon is because she has drawn her blade against those who follow the sun and resolved herself to see them all dead.

You can certainly paint Diana as the hero - she's the outcast taking down a corrupt cult built on a foundation of lies, brainwashing and undue self-righteousness - but you can't avoid the fact that she's turned to disproportionate retribution. Her actions started a vicious cycle wherein she wishes to end the Solari for trying to silence her, but they wish to kill her for slaying their elders and trying to extinguish their remaining membership. Whatever hope there might have been for an uneasy peace has been lost because neither faction can lay down the sword, but Diana is the aggressor by nature and thus looks more antagonistic from an outside viewpoint.

We don't know why the Solari turned on their sister organisation nor how much their remaining members know of any of that. It's likely that most, if not all, knowledge of the cover-up died with the elders, so now you have an ailing Solari facing off an enemy who is targeting them for reason that most of their members will not even understand. Diana has let her fanatical devotion push her to the point where she's killing others simply for being Solari rather than for any crime they personally have wrought against her.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morec0

Senior Member

10-02-2013

She's a religious fanatic, the Solari are religious fanatics, there's no good side here. There never is, it's all grays.

But, personally, I have to throw my lot in with Diana because (despite her massacring a large portion of Solari elders) her endgame, as I see it, WILL be to have the Solari and Moonpeople living together. All she is after IS to purge the lies of the Solari, any who will agree with her I'm sure will be free to live.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melancholy Exile

Senior Member

10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morec0 View Post
She's a religious fanatic, the Solari are religious fanatics, there's no good side here. There never is, it's all grays.

But, personally, I have to throw my lot in with Diana because (despite her massacring a large portion of Solari elders) her endgame, as I see it, WILL be to have the Solari and Moonpeople living together. All she is after IS to purge the lies of the Solari, any who will agree with her I'm sure will be free to live.
I'd have to disagree:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
As for what Diana would do should she succeed at eradicating the Solari... I think there's an element of her tragic story here. She's given herself a very singular and fatalist purpose, and I don't believe she's ever allowed herself to stop and think about the end-game... and if she has, she doesn't have a very... positive view of her ongoing role in the world once her mission is complete. More food for thought.

A lot of the amount of trust Diana would place in other Solari rests on Leona, in truth. Leona is the remaining figurehead of the Solari, and her trust or acceptance informs that of the rest of her followers. Leona's lack of acceptance pushes her further into the belief that there can be no reconciliation.
It's possible that there may be some point of reconciliation in the future, but the onus for that lies entirely with Leona and isn't currently on the table as far as Diana is concerned. "The burden of reconciliation or utter destruction is on their shoulders" and neither has shown any interest in biting the bullet thus far.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SchaakaKon

Senior Member

10-02-2013

"A man, a woman and a yordle walk into the sun... They die. Because it burns them alive."

This joke may be hilarious but it certainly isnt something your lawful do-gooder would say then laugh about.
I cast my vote that Diana is a villain and I like her more for it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnkryaDoli

Senior Member

10-12-2013

Actually leona and diana have the same power. The power of the sun jist dianas is threw a sifferent lens. The lens of the moon. Diana and leona grew up the sameway. Constantly mocked and harassed for how they were different. Only thing is that whem they got their powers or whatever ppl accepted leona and resented diana even more. Riot isn't telling you which one is bad because there isn't any. Its up to you to decide what side you are on. Diana yes might eventually succumb and be enveloped by her anger and own wrath bit she's doing it for what she believes is thw right thing to do. Of course her being the moon host she's looked as evil. But what if that was the twist riot wanted to make? Like someone posted before me. Shes taking down a corrupt government. Not so sifferent from what patriots didfor freedom? In many yeara later she could be looked at as a savior.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Klaw117

Junior Member

10-12-2013

There's no good side to this. Diana seems to have grown bitter and resentful of the Solari, initially to a justifiable degree, but then went overboard by denouncing all of the Solari rather than just the Solari elders. However, Leona isn't innocent in this either, but whether that's because she's brainwashed or actually believes the Lunari are heretics remains to be seen. There seems to be a misconception that Leona is innocent in all this, but I don't think she is given that in Co-op vs AI battles, her bot will say this to a player Diana:

"You'll pay for your heresy, Diana!"

If AI behavior can't be used as a source of canon, then this argument essentially gets thrown out the window, but until someone informs me of that, I remain under the impression that Leona is only fueling the conflict between the Lunari and the Solari.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melancholy Exile

Senior Member

10-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TisGravity View Post
Of course her being the moon host she's looked as evil. But what if that was the twist riot wanted to make? Like someone posted before me. Shes taking down a corrupt government. Not so sifferent from what patriots didfor freedom? In many yeara later she could be looked at as a savior.
Hi. As the person who posted that comment you referenced ... I really have to disagree.

Diana isn't so much taking down a corrupt government as choosing to destroy all followers of a religion for believing a doctrine she disagrees with ... while simultaneously fulfilling exactly what that doctrine says about her kind and justifying their hatred. She's been given the opportunity to start a new life on her own terms and instead she's chosen to burn every last trace of her old life to the ground. You can certainly make the argument that she's 'saving' people, and that the Solari had become so ingrained in their hatred of her kind that violence is inevitable, but she's really just chosen to kill every last follower of the sun because she's judged them undeserving of life so long as they remain true to their ideals.

Think about it:
  • Diana is a social outcast among the Solari
  • She returns one day, wearing the relics of the Lunari, and slaughters the Solari elders with the power of the moon
  • She swears to kill everyone who denies her power and, presumably, raids Solari holdings and kills their people
  • Leona stands against her in defence of her kin, saddled with the duty of brining down the murderous heretic

So ... why would anyone involved in this think of her as a saviour?

She may view the Solari as invariably corrupt, but she's not trying to actually air that point and argue her case. Her approach is a very blunt "Accept me or I kill you" and she's soaked herself in enough Solari blood that they're hardly willing to take her in with open arms. Diana's willingness to negotiate died with the Solari elders and thus she carrying out more of a cull than some sort of liberation or quest for 'freedom'. She's literally killing her enemies until they're willing to accept her terms.

To quote the parrot himself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Diana returns, ascends, kills the solari priests, and metaphorically or physically turns to Leona to say "You, being kind, must out of anyone understand. You must be able to recognize what I bring to you. We must seek a balance." Leona, horrified at the death she has encountered post Diana's violent slaughter must in some way say "You are a monster! Despite any truth you may present I will not abide by someone who offers such destruction!" Diana's response, "If you will not join me then you are just as blind as they were. You will die too."
Diana wants an unconditional truce, while Leona has no desire to give a full pardon to an unrepentant murderer who still threatens the lives of her people. The solari chosen simply comes out of it better because she has good PR and is looking to defend rather than destroy ... even if the ends are the same.


12