Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

eCommerce Question of the Week

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sh00t3rman

09-27-2012

Why can't people sell custom skins they have made like with Dota 2? There are a lot of great ones out there that people would pay for a la app store.

Sh00t3rman

09-27-2012

More dragons please

Quote:
Hippalus:
The 2nd winning post gets answered after just 25 upvotes! Remember, any question that touches on eCommerce issues in the past, present or future will be answered if there is enough community interest. So don't be shy.

This question can be better answered by our Skins team, but I'll take a stab at it based on what I've heard in the hallways.

Theme skins like PFE take many multiples more work to develop than even legendaries, but most agree they are worth the effort, so expect to see more in 2013. There are a couple of concepts in the works but they have a long way to go, and I expect 2-3 theme releases/year would be the most you could ever expect to see.

One related change we will be making in the LoL Store this year is to put PFE into the Skins tab and eliminating the Themes tab, but likely not until we have a new tab to put in its place.

Also, keep an eye out in the next week or two for some new skin release prices...

Insidius

09-27-2012

Are there any plans to introduce different announcer voices whether they be separate purchases or parts of theme like packages?

GeneralD3ni3r

09-27-2012

I saw u have made a comment on bundle customization and i was wondering if that will include champions, skins, rune pages, and future champion purchases can be chosen all in one bundle?

ohgreatone32

09-27-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:
We have an initial winner, with a clear early lead over the rest. Keep in mind I expect to answer 25-50 questions by the end of the year, so keep asking and voting, as I will get way past the first few pages before we're done.

Yes, it is odd. And it will get even more odd before it starts making sense. Here's the story:

As long as I've played the game, all champions from 3150-6300 IP were priced at 975 RP, which made it feel pretty crappy to buy many of those champions with RP. That's not good for players and not good for Riot. Reducing the RP price of the 3150 and 4800 champions seemed like the easy answer, but to what price? And what impact does that have on sales of those champions and other champions?

Making a change that significant without any data on what might happen is not what they teach in eCommerce class, and the only way to get reliable data is to start changing prices. Caityln and Maokai were the first, and there will be more in the next several days, which will make our pricing look even more odd. But there is a method to the madness, and within the next several weeks, I expect to make final changes that will make sense. To me anyway

And in case you're concerned, after all "permanent" price reductions (not a limited time sale), we automatically refund the price difference for anyone that made a purchase in the previous two weeks. For those who bought more than two weeks prior, keep in mind that you were able to enjoy the ownership for that additional time, which is why we do not go back further than two weeks. I should also point out that "permanent" is probably the wrong word for these price reductions, because pricing is always subject to additional change. In fact, some of these prices will likely change again once the final plan is in place.

Thanks for the question!

Mmmmmm yummy economics in action. Who doesn't want to derive a demand curve!?!?!

Ryft Mith

09-27-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:
Hey all - as I find a few minutes to browse the forums, I see many great questions that touch on eCommerce, but way more than I have the time to answer. So in order to make sure I am answering the community's most important questions first, I've decided to introduce the...

eCommerce Question of the Week!

At least once/week (but usually more often), I will answer the question in this thread that has the most upvotes. The next time I'll answer the one with the next most, etc., until you either run out of questions or I run out of answers. Keep in mind that if the winning question has to do with game/champion/skin design or something else that does not fall into my area, my answer may not be very useful (eg. ask Lyte!), but I will do my best to give as detailed answers as I can to whichever questions rise to the top.

I will start other threads for specific topics as needed, but will monitor this thread for the top rated questions, so please continue to post and more importantly, vote for the best questions!

-Hippalus

Hippalus, I have serious doubts about this system of choosing questions.

First off, if you look at any of the upvote metrics people like Vesh and Lyte collect, I'm absolutely 100% positive that barring any red posting, people who get their comment on the first page are several times more likely to have a higher amount of upvotes than people who post in further pages, especially once it gets to the fourth or fifth page and especially when the topic is moving fast. (like all red-post threads do in GD. For example, look at this most useless of threads: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2609756 The OP literally had nothing to inform the community of, not even his own opinion, but once the thread got even even one red post [it now has nine] the posts and views shot through the roof)

By using the question that has the most upvotes, you are sending the message to the community that you are only going to pick people who were lucky enough to be online when the thread was started and who are fast enough to snag a spot on the first page.

Not only does this encourage people to post without thinking about their questions and then edit them once they have tons of upvotes, which could have been far from their original, not-thought-out message; but it also discourages people who actually want a large, lengthy question (like this post) to be discussed because they have to spend precious time writing it out when they know that people like this are posting ahead of them:

Quote:
Wulfestopheles:
Why is Karma and or her skins on sale?

This is barely an on-topic question. It's much more of an insult against Riot asking why a rarely used champion's skin is on sale.
Quote:
Raging Alc:
Thanks for the refund system and the rune page deal, looking forward to seeing what ideas you come up with in the future.

This comment isn't even on-topic! If he actually wanted to thank you, instead of postign off-topic, he would have actually made a "Thank you Hippalus" thread, or posted in that huge "thank you reds!" thread that is in all likelyhood (knowing the mods) in the archives by now.

Please rethink your original plan to choose questions. This guy actually gets it, but he has almost a dozen downvotes at the time of writing:
Quote:
Narato Master:
upvote based?

only the questions on the first 3 pages will get any answers lol

people who frequent these forums tend to have short attention spams

And all three of those are on the first page.

Please, please PLEASE answer this Hippalus. I don't care if you change or don't change your original plan of action, but I beg you, please switch to a system whereby every single on-topic comment in this thread is actually read, and you then make a separate thread with a multiple-choice poll that includes the question that people have been discussing the most. Because I guarantee you, this post will not even get to 10 upvotes because the only non-red posters who actually read this deep into a thread are looking for the current discussion and not necessarily what the OP was about.

Edit: See? This post already has two downvotes from people who haven't even had the time to read it.

Kthth

09-27-2012

Any plans for better IP rewords for those of us that mostly play ARAM custom games?

ALLIIAN

09-27-2012

Three questions

Are you doing holiday skins this year?

and

Reduce the price of Runes? It takes almost a month of casual play to put together a normal rune page, and don't even talk about specialty runes (Spellvamp, Lifesteal are insanely expensive.)
For such a significant boost the runes give, they shouldn't be impossible to get while at the same time saving up for champ purchases. Buying any runes set you back significantly from getting a new champ

Third question, reverting IP gain nerfs? That was such a Chinese overlord move, you advertise the game as FTP and yet its impossible to keep up with champ releases and buy runes unless you buy RP. Imagine if you don't already have all the champs by the 105th champ is released. Its a hopeless journey to get all the champs without buying massive amounts of RP unless you were here before, like, Maokai

HolyHammerStrike

09-27-2012

Quote:
Kthth:
Any plans for better IP rewords for those of us that mostly play ARAM custom games?

That will likely arrive once Riot gives it a matchmaking system. When that will happen is unknown to me sorry.

HolyHammerStrike

09-27-2012

Quote:
ALLIIAN:
Three questions

Are you doing holiday skins this year?

and

Reduce the price of Runes? It takes almost a month of casual play to put together a normal rune page, and don't even talk about specialty runes (Spellvamp, Lifesteal are insanely expensive.)
For such a significant boost the runes give, they shouldn't be impossible to get while at the same time saving up for champ purchases. Buying any runes set you back significantly from getting a new champ

Third question, reverting IP gain nerfs? That was such a Chinese overlord move, you advertise the game as FTP and yet its impossible to keep up with champ releases and buy runes unless you buy RP. Imagine if you don't already have all the champs by the 105th champ is released. Its a hopeless journey to get all the champs without buying massive amounts of RP unless you were here before, like, Maokai

My understanding is he won't be able to touch rune prices till next year due to it having an effect on in-game balance and the like.