Update on Dropped Games

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xArchangelUrielx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

**** yeah Nice job riot!

Akov

Network Engineer

09-20-2012
10 of 40 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstinctsKill View Post
So how acurately are you able to detect the use of this attack as far as WHO is doing it? Is there some kind of pattern you are tracing?
Pretty sure we identified nearly all of them.

Its hard to say for sure, but I am confident in our methods.

Arizi

09-20-2012

Earlier today I was on the losing team and all of a sudden I disconnected. When I finally got back into the game, it turns out both teams dc'd all together. This persisted throughout the game and gave us a pretty unfair victory. Is this the lag you were talking about or is this just servers taking a dump? Cause if so, I really don't see how that's fair.. Sorry if I misunderstood everything but either way, good job so far. Glad to hear that there's progress.

Kato75

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akov View Post
Pretty sure we identified nearly all of them.

Its hard to say for sure, but I am confident in our methods.
Can we trust you,since you are a enginner?

Gordon J Chubbs

09-20-2012

bump for great justice, im loving that we finally got some solid communication on this!

Lemon

Recruiter

09-20-2012

@Akov Serious Question: How about you tell me why I got banned for supplying Riot with the program that was attacking the services.I provided all information about so to "RiotBlasto". I was told the complete opposite of what happened to me and that is ridiculous.

I want a proper explanation.

Dragull2

09-20-2012

Quote:
Basically, the game servers expected that if every one gets disconnected from a game, we didnt care about the results. We changed this behavior so that the game expects that people want every game instead.
That was... clever...

Quote:
I guess I used the wrong term. When every one "disconnects" is different then every one "leaving". Leaving games is unaffected by these changes.
So now teams that scrim can still "hide" their practices by leaving the game right?

Akov

Network Engineer

09-20-2012
11 of 40 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato75 View Post
Can we trust you,since you are a enginner?
Just know I route better then I spell :]

Nice to know I'll never live that down though!

SPQR

09-20-2012

Just a few more questions regarding customs and reconnection that I want clarified. While this won't impact those who are playing a custom by themselves and leaving, will this affect those who play with another friend or two? Also lets say 2 teams were practicing in customs for a tournament and do not want competitors to see the results of their practice/ strategies. If both teams purposefully leave the custom game will they be forced to reconnect and play it out or will the game disappear?

Quiie

09-20-2012

If I may ask, how large of a problem was this? I would see some posts about people being dropped from games on the forums, but I had the feeling that some were disconnects (for whatever reason) and were unrelated to someone actually DDoSing maliciously. I think the main point of my question is: Was this a widespread problem or a pretty localized problem with a lot of hype?