Update on Dropped Games

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gordon J Chubbs

09-20-2012

Are the offenders, the ones ddos'ing the servers, getting perma banned? As they should be.

Felaedor

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroyerxPwn View Post
Why did you guys take so long to respond on the issue?
Because they still don't have a solution.

They have a band-aid, but couldn't let the wound just bleed any longer.

Fluffyychaos

09-20-2012

ah ok, so this is what was going on. well i have a question for either of you then, i was playing a ranked game a few days ago and the game literally had just started when everyone dced. i waited for awhile for the client to auto reconnect but it didnt, so i decided to go back to the main screen and manually reconnect. it was really odd cause i had no reconnect button and i was just talking to my friend about reaching 1470 elo. well i wanted to see what had happened of that game and it A) didnt even come up in my match history, B) it counted as a loss (maybe cause i left to reconnect but everyone dropped?) and dropped me 13 elo :<. anyway i can get those points back? sounds selfish, but thats a game right there :\.

InstinctsKill

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Quote:
Nothing happens overnight. Besides, I believe this was already answered. It was something along the lines of: changes like that are very sensitive and they didn't want to make our experience worse than what it already was.

Akov

Network Engineer

09-20-2012
6 of 40 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoooveZiiig View Post
Thank you very much for acknowledging the problem publicly and taking harsh measures against cheaters.

Question - Since the DDoS method used to kill games is still useable to cause lag on a player as you said in your message, enough to force a reconnect, isn't it still a very strong tool to abuse the game? If that's the case, how quickly do you think you can identify hackers and take them out of the game, so that mid teamfight disconnects don't become a common occurence as Drops has been in the last few weeks? Or force everyone to stay in a game trying to continuously reconnect for an hour just out of spite?
Its a good question, and something that we've discussed a lot internally. From a Network Engineering perspective, the nature of DDoS it is always an arms race. Each side constantly improving their capabilities forcing both sides to adapt quickly and often. Our ability to detect and track events is very good. The problem is that if a response takes 1 full second to stop an event, it still affects our players. Our latest change to the clients/servers gives Network Engineering the time we needed to defend the games and the players. Our ability to respond so far, will prevent any such Hostage situation that you describe.

InstinctsKill

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

So how acurately are you able to detect the use of this attack as far as WHO is doing it? Is there some kind of pattern you are tracing?

Morgra

09-20-2012

Man, thank you very much. I'm glad you guys have fixed it and are taking care of everything!

Bellissimoh

Producer

09-20-2012
7 of 40 Riot Posts

Quote:
Bank robbers break into a bank. The alarm goes off, everyone knows something is going down. The robbers flee the scene. Cops show up, catching the robbers is now an ordeal of an effort.

Bank robbers break into a bank. The silent alarm goes off, robbers keep robbing. Cops show up and find the robbers in the bank, it's a bit easier to catch and identify them now.

This isn't a one to one example of why it took us so long to respond, but the key here is that issues and incidents that are security related are extremely sensitive, and require a different approach than how we normally communicate.

We understand that you guys wanted more communication sooner, and will definitely try to do better in the future.

Sicom

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellissimoh View Post
We have taken steps to identify these attackers and remove them from our service permanently. Additionally we are pursuing legal avenues and working with the proper authorities.
Hell yes! Good luck. If nothing else, I hope the offenders are sweating their balls off.

Akov

Network Engineer

09-20-2012
8 of 40 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
Is there away to make it so that a random unlucky schmuck or entire team doesn't get a random lag that screws them over in a crucial point in the game?
Unfortunately Lag is a very very broad topic. Most lag happens before Riot has any control or ability to help. Internet congestion along the way is something we do how ever monitor and might be able to do something in the future.