Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joenz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-25-2012

I've been playing league since beta, and I've never had a suspension or anything and I'm generally a positive player; however, I've said a few nasty / negative things over years of playing. This has caused me to have a little bit of fear that one day I might receive a suspension for the 1% of games where I say something negative.

Will having a good amount of honor make you less likely to be suspended through the tribunal for saying a few nasty things? I'm not talking about racist comments or anything utterly terrible.

Galice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-25-2012

Will having a high Honor rating reduce chances of showing in in the Tribunial / receiving punishments?

Sauzeles

09-25-2012

The only worry I would have is that if there are rewards involved, everyone will "honor" each of their friends each game. I think the best way to fix this would be to only be able to "Honor" someone who is not on your friend's list, or who has only recently been added to it. Otherwise it could devolve into either a popularity contest for rewards.
If there are rewards, they should be based off of how many "strangers" give them honor. Everyone is nice to their friends (usually, at least). The great people are those who are nice to complete strangers.

Kanamoto

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolidayRush View Post
Wish this was implemented a few days ago. Was in ranked placement match where I was 4th pick and instead of going top like i normally do i went support and let 5th go top. He counterpicked himself into Riven vs Irelia and this is what i ended up telling him after the game:

Riven, you counterpicked yourself and lost your lane, but you held on, stayed strong, and were a crucial part of our teams victory, good job. Would've 'Honored' him or w/e you would call it if i could have. Oh well hes on my friends list now so that's just as good.
Riven into Irelia isn't a counterpick.

Sauzeles

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenz View Post
I've been playing league since beta, and I've never had a suspension or anything and I'm generally a positive player; however, I've said a few nasty / negative things over years of playing. This has caused me to have a little bit of fear that one day I might receive a suspension for the 1% of games where I say something negative.

Will having a good amount of honor make you less likely to be suspended through the tribunal for saying a few nasty things? I'm not talking about racist comments or anything utterly terrible.
If you're as good and level headed as you seem, you don't seem like the type to do stuff bad enough to hit the tribunal, and even if you do, not bad enough to get punished. Also, if you DO get punished from being a jerk once or twice, and it wasn't anything really bad (like racism), you'll probably get a warning before a suspension. I'd say don't worry about it too much, and just try to let those bad moments be less frequent.

I don't have authority to promise any of this, but I can't imagine the Riot team being jerks to people who generally try to be good people.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-25-2012
74 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
The more you talk about this the more I dislike it. This system really makes it feel like punishment to play with friends, and to use a system you put in place such as disabled cross team chat(which has made the game a lot more enjoyable for me). This really puts me off of this game. Is that what you are going for?
There are several ways to earn Honor in premades.

Altrec

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Those other ways being? You don't want honor given based on game play so thats not it. As the other guy put it sucking up to the other team is one way, but what are the others? No matter how pure the intentions of a statement from someone on the other side it is going to look like they are fishing for points, and why then should I care about honoring them? Should I end every victory with an insincere "Hey you guys put forth good effort better luck next time." political speech? Why make it harder for premades?

I still want to know what the point of having the option of turning off cross team chat is if you are now trying to force us into having it on? Are honor points of no value? If they have no value at all and get you nothing such as match making, forum avatars, skins... then this doesn't bother me, but if that is the case why bother with this at all?

Brun Deign

09-25-2012

This sounds great! Hey while your at it can you develop a system that DOESN'T punish people for leaving a queue when someone in that queue proves themselves to be incredibly rude and uncooperative with the rest? That'd be great, because I see that 5 minute timer too much for my tastes.

Mokai

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
The more you talk about this the more I dislike it. This system really makes it feel like punishment to play with friends, and to use a system you put in place such as disabled cross team chat(which has made the game a lot more enjoyable for me). This really puts me off of this game. Is that what you are going for?
I feel your worries are unfounded. It's important to remember honor is entirely optional; you're not going to be at a disadvantage to others because they have more honor than you. It's not a competition nor is it a race. It's true that going into premades with your friends may very well limit some of your honor options, but is that really a big deal? Why do you even need honor if you choose to exclusively play with your friends who aren't going to care?

The primary goal of the honor system appears to be promoting an environment where perfect strangers can be polite and civil towards one another, even over the internet. Premades need this to a far lesser extent; you're already getting along with the people you know just fine. Playing with friends is fun! Playing with strangers can be intimidating. A big part of honor from what I can see is a goal to mend that gap by hopefully improving player behavior to the point where playing with strangers feels a whole lot more like playing with friends. To that extent honor is redundant for premades, but of course there's still the enemy. Honor, hopefully, will compel you and your friends to treat the enemy with respect and same goes for the enemy's treatment of you. Ultimately, it's not the points that matter. It's what you do that matters.

King Sofa GG

09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Lyte, stop, I've read all the your posts on this thread. The only way you can earn Honor if you are premades by your own words is to open the cross chat and talk your way with the foe to honor you.