Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YoshioPeePee

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusVen View Post
Someone mentioned that they used Xbox's Rep system only on their friends, and while this was not the point of their post, it brings up something that worries me: What's to stop groups from banding together and "upvote spamming" each other, like in similar systems on Youtube, etc? Will there be a cohesive system monitoring for this, and how will it distinguish between a genuinely Honorable player and someone with friends willing to abuse the system?
the system has things in place to detect this and punish players who do so (i would assume by removing their ability to honor entirely)

lyte and co. are huge statistics nerds so i'm sure whatever they designed can detect these patterns in the data and interpret the correct meaning with surprising accuracy

it shouldn't be hard for it to seperate a pattern that show upvote spamming a particular group en mass from regular legit use of the feature

i really can't imagine how anyone would arrange upvoting without the system getting suspicious of the pattern, it has all the data of how many times you honor a particuar person, if they are on your friend list, if you premade with them, and if these people are consistently sending honor back to you in the same game you sent honor to them

it can also probably connect the dots and determine "this pile of players are all displaying the same patterns suggesting an intentional exchange of points with the other people in the pile" and then they're sunk

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Here's a potential proposal: modify Tribunal to include Honor.

Tribunalers should have the option of:

(1) Punishing, and also docking Honor points
(2) Pardoning, but docking Honor points
(3) Pardoning, and not docking Honor points.

Sometimes, there are "gray area" cases where the person is clearly not a role model but doesn't seem quite bad enough to warrant a ban. Some abrasiveness, a mild insult or two, pouting about a loss. You know, the "omg cait has half draven's CS gg noob cait" type. I might not Punish for that, but I might want to somehow indicate that this person is not "Honorable".

Evi

09-20-2012

I shall be interested to see how this shakes out.

SavageMinnow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Yes, I would probably not Honor him. The Honor Initiative isn't about skill.
I would argue that, simply by not being rude like most players, he's being honorable. Especially if his team is currently losing, it takes a lot of effort not to get upset and remain neutral. I intend to honor people I see holding back their temper in situations where I would have to do the same, I sincerely hope this doesn't go against the system's nature.

Razy6trix

09-20-2012

inc hypocrisy

Naruto Uzumakî

09-20-2012

And that's a real good idea. Now you can see how gentle are people, and also reward them. I like it.

HidingOverHere

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboardtonowhere View Post
Downside is people are generally self-interested and won't bother honoring someone else. On the other hand, friends will constantly honor each other. Did you think this through?
u know nothing of what they are about to implement, stop talking like you already know its shortcomings.

YoshioPeePee

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeTrap View Post
Here's a potential proposal: modify Tribunal to include Honor.

Tribunalers should have the option of:

(1) Punishing, and also docking Honor points
(2) Pardoning, but docking Honor points
(3) Pardoning, and not docking Honor points.
all 3 are redundant

the first one may have some merit but i'd imagine the honor system would not look kindly on someone who gets punished by the tribunal anyway

here's the thing with 2 and 3, a pardon vote means that the player's behavior is absolutely 100% ok for league of legends. Why would there be any question of whether a player should be pardoned but lose honor? If he did nothing wrong then there wouldn't be anything that would justify honor docking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageMinnow View Post
I would argue that, simply by not being rude like most players, he's being honorable. Especially if his team is currently losing, it takes a lot of effort not to get upset and remain neutral. I intend to honor people I see holding back their temper in situations where I would have to do the same, I sincerely hope this doesn't go against the system's nature.
playing a losing game in the face of feeders without raging and trying your best to carry the team without being negative could very well be viewed by one of his feeding allies as an honorable act by itself, even if he did not say much

this stuff is all dependent on subjective opinion and it is dependant on the specific circumstances of the game, so it is a judgment call on the part of the other players whether the guy deserves honor or not (in fact i was in one of these situations and it has still stuck with me as one of the top 3 instances where i would have liked to have had this feature)

what may not be honorable in 1 game to one person may very well be honorable in a different game from the point of view of a different person

if you really and truly feel like the guy's actions stood out and deserve a special shout out from you than go ahead and honor him, it is your call to make and the system will probably only be upset with cases that are clearly people honoring insincerely

SavageMinnow

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidingOverHere View Post
u know nothing of what they are about to implement, stop talking like you already know its shortcomings.
That reply was on page 2, where he simply made an observation and asked a question. Was it really necessary to call him out for wondering something, 60 pages later? -_-

CupcakeTrap

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshioPeePee View Post
all 3 are redundant

the first one may have some merit but i'd imagine the honor system would not look kindly on someone who gets punished by the tribunal anyway

here's the thing with 2 and 3, a pardon vote means that the player's behavior is absolutely 100% for league of legends. Why would there be any question of whether a player should be pardoned but lose honor? If he did nothing wrong then there wouldn't be anything that would justify honor docking.
I disagree.

Let's say the person was a bit abrasive, a bit short-tempered, but not quite Punish-level toxic? I might want to say "well, no ban, but ... this person is definitely not "Honorable".