Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheBirdOfPrey

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I don't see it this way. We've run numerous models and simulations about how we believe the system will be used, but human behavior is not 100% predictable--especially when you are trying something new like an Honor Initiative in an online game where there isn't too much research on these types of things yet.

For example, let's say our models suggest that the chance of 'good' behavior is currently 15% for any random League player and this will increase to 20% over 6 months. Let's also say our models suggest that when a League player is 'good,' there's a 30% chance someone else will actually Honor them. We can set values according to these models, but if it turns out that 'good' behavior is currently 10% for any random League player, we need to adjust the values accordingly.
how will this work if say, buy a statistical anomaly, i encounter players who are 25% chance to be honorable, which is very possible depending on matchmaking. will i run out, if i do run out am i labeled by the system as giving too many people honor? or is there a big enough leeway, where the average is 15%chance but just incase you get enough honor to give 20%(random numbers) if necessary

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Just like the Tribunal, we want to avoid obvious extrinsic, tangible rewards like currency when we start our experiments. We want to identify players who are good just because that's their personality. We want to identify players who want to just make a difference in the community.

I know we need to 'reinforce' the good behaviors, but let's first make sure the systems are identifying the positive pillars of the community
Lyte, on a scale of 1 to Draven, how awesome is Honor going to be?

And on a scale of "not soon" to "very soon," how soon should we expect to see more details?

T3 Aftermath

09-20-2012

This is awesome, it will encourage people to stop trolling! GENIUS! It's too bad too because I would already be platinum in honor lol.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-20-2012
34 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammerHooves View Post
Dr Lyte

A question I'd like to have answered is would honor be granted for good play in other areas such as a support who frequently buys wards and sweeps with oracles elixir. Or a jungler who does a good job ganking while feeding the laning champs the kills rather than taking themselves.
I hope this is one of the ways Honor is used, but it's up to the community. Just like the Tribunal, the Honor Initiative is a collaboration between Team Player Behavior and the community--we just build the tools, it's up to you guys how you want to use them.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-20-2012
35 of 99 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksiczek View Post
Would I run out of Honor if I decided to give 1 Honor point to 1 player every single game? I'd like to be able to choose the most sincere player every round and reward him.
Nope, you'd be fine here. If you Honor all 9 players in every single game... you'd make me sad and the system will be angry at you.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless Dragon View Post
Is the assumption that premade friends who honor each other would be abusing the feature not an unfair one?

Will that bias not result in premade players having less opportunity to get honor than solo queue players? If so, how is that fair?
Correct me if I'm wrong Lyte...

Wouldn't there be a good chance for roughly similar honor gains, but in a less consistent fashion?

If you behave 'honorably' in a solo-queue game, each player makes an individual choice about whether or not to honor you. In a pre-made however, there's a better chance that any of the players who would have normally just honored you own their own to prod their teammates into honoring you as well. (I'll let Lyte take care of the science-y talk, this just seems like it might work that way to me...)

Honestly, I would prefer not to have to worry about honoring my buddy every other game lest he get 'less for a premade,' so a system that mitigated that would be pretty awesome.

AzureWolfe

09-20-2012

so what if you dont give honor to your friends/premades, but one game one of them does exceptionally well(not just because of a good k.d.a ratio) and warents some honor... would you not be able to give said honor because hes part of the premade?

Xpyder

09-20-2012

I just wished there would be some retroactive Honor here, there were some games i felt so proud of myself, talking to the team, turning the game around...

TheMasterZails

09-20-2012

Hey Lyte,

Will this be similar to gamer score just honor score so anyone that looks at my profile can see how much honor points I have?

Also to award this to someone will you have to do something like click their name or will it be triggered by chat?

Flatulence

09-20-2012

This sounds like it's going to be great! I've been loving all the new updates lately, awesome job!