Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aaron Rodgers

Recruiter

09-20-2012

Holy ****. Give a reason for a player to actually be nice to his team instead of just punishing the negative? What are you thinking? Why would we want to encourage niceness.

Willus Maximus

09-20-2012

This is exactly what this game needs! I always try to "anti-troll" my games by encouraging my team to stay positive. I find that whenever I have a team constantly complaining about small mistakes we tend to do worse. My moto has always been "a happy team is a good team!"

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
It's possible, but think of it this way: The matchmaking system is supposed to pair similar skilled players together. Team Player Behavior is constantly tinkering with matchmaking to improve it.

On average, players will all have some great games where they carry (and may get some fistbumps of Honor) and in some games, they will play poorly. So on average, the amount of Honor you get for 'carrying' is going to be about the same for every player unless you are grossly out of place in your matchmaking.
I guess it's too late now, but "Honor" seems like a questionable choice of label. I proposed "Attitude Rating" because it's clearer that it's referring to a player's good sportsmanship and friendliness rather than skill.

Due to the same concern about an inversion of the "play bad --> intentional feeding" problem, I proposed a Tribunal-esque system for confirming Honor votes. We clearly have a surplus of Tribunalers: "the Tribunal is in recess" pops up all the time. I don't really like the idea of Honor being equated with "sweet move" or "omg hypercarry". Players being tasked with reviewing these games could help ensure that Honor goes to people who deserve it.

Attitude Rating
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2371311

Zephemus

09-20-2012

I wonder what the rewards would be for accumulating honor. Badges for the forums? Profile banners and icons? Champion skins? Bonus EXP and IP?

Hyacinthus

09-20-2012

Very beautiful text Lyte. I do hope this will improve the gameplay. Having fun is so much better than raging.

lowhonor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

i think i need a name change

4Touchdowns1Game

09-20-2012

What I see is just that players who do really well will get honored by their teammates even if they were the biggest trolls in the universe (usually to someone who does really bad or to the enemy team) just like players who do bad in one game get reported for intentionally feeding/assisting enemy team. In both cases the reporting/honoring is not justified.

Scarrad 4 Life

09-20-2012

I REALLY do not like this idea. Now every time I'm being nice to people, helping them out, giving them tips or helping them know their matchup, I will be questioned if I'm doing it because I want it or because I'm whoring for Honor.

I know the game needs something like this, but this will have multiple problems.

Koppee

09-20-2012

How would you prevent some friends from abusing this btw? If there are rewards for the honor system or even just a number displaying how honorable you are I can see friends giving honor to each other just to attain a higher number.

One way I think is to limit the amount of times that one person can give an honor up to another person only once, or maybe once a month to avoid abuse. Just my opinion.

ThrangOul

09-20-2012

I'm not certainly sure how will it works, but I'm affraid that it'll get exploited by players who knows each other:
- Hey let's just improve our honor for nothing.
- Well, why not?