Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gibgezr

09-20-2012

I truly think that this will help guide players towards being nicer to each other. Positive reinforcement, even in small doses, is a powerful tool.

Memorylame

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

sad you had to invent a system to reward people for being good, nice people...the reward in being good and nice should be the act itself...sad that people need material coaxing to be civil human beings...now we will have a bunch of fake 'holier then thou' wanna be paragons running around trying to out-honor you...sad sad sad world...at least make it so that premades can't just commend each other after everygame...

iainB85

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Summoners!

We here at Riot have been hard at work trying to improve player behavior in League of Legends. Historically, we’ve reacted to toxic players through systems like LeaverBuster and the Tribunal that are great at identifying and punishing the worst of worst. However, players will often challenge Team Player Behavior and say, “Dr. Lyte, how are you a doctor?? Don’t know you know that positive reinforcement can also improve player behavior?” We agree with you! We know that we have a great community, but we haven’t done a great job providing tools to empower this community to proactively be even more awesome.

Today, we’d like to introduce Honor, our positive feedback initiative. We’re well versed in research done on concepts in psychology such as positive reinforcement and how it can improve behaviors, and we’ve also found that some of the most meaningful, memorable moments in League come from the positive interactions players have with each other. Everyone’s had one of these days: You are struggling in a game and find yourself in a situation where a teammate could have easily trolled or flamed you, but instead goes out of his way to be a helpful, compassionate team-player. He says, “Hey, don’t worry about the first blood.” You may not friend this player or ever play with him again, but this small, kind gesture made a difference and is something you remembered.

Through Honor you’ll be able to give something lasting back to those players who went out of their way to make your game experience better. Keep an eye out for Honor with the next PBE update, and expect to hear more about it in an upcoming patch!
I've been playing League of Legends for a year and a half and have never encountered someone as nice as you mention in this quote.

webbut

09-20-2012

Finally there will be Justice in the Fields of Justice!

Prime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2012

Just read all Riot posts and can you clarify:

1) If I honor someone, do I lose honor?

2) If I don't honor anyone, ever, and am polite, will I have a lot of honor? or does it work differently for people who never honor anybody?

Just curious because what it sounds like from reading some other posts, some many never honor anybody for reason 1 or don't want to fall into the area of being discredited honor because with this new feature, a lot of players will try to get honor.. always! Some games I'm sure, everybody on your team may honor everybody or people will be strict on honoring and limit it to the most honored

Dr Toenail

09-20-2012

Will this be an incentive for the matchmaking team to pair people with similar honor up when queueing? That would probably make for a better overall environment.

Roebling

09-20-2012

I originally thought higher honored players would be queued with other high honored players, but after reading how you can't "take away honor" for bad behavior; I surely hope this is not the case. This would just lead to new players starting with the bottom of the barrel players.

paqzu

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Nope, because the average, responsible user will not run out. We'll be tweaking the numbers in the background constantly to make sure that responsible users effectively have 'infinite' Honor pool, while abusers and cheaters have none.
I think you misread his comment :P. He was asking if the honor he GAINS is actually the honor he GIVES, being taken from a single honor pool.

My understanding was that no; you have honor you GAIN (and cannot lose), given to you by other players, and honor you GIVE (taken from a distinct pool, like HP and MANA).

I guess the numbers for honor you can give will be iterated on a lot (I know I would :P), with amounts per day, game, week, etc.

BTW, this is some awesome news. Positive reinforcement: about time it gets implemented as a core feature in EVERY multiplayer game, as it is a ton more meaningful than in stuff like "Farmville". Being part of the game designers community for about 10 years now, I can say I've been hoping for this for a long time now.

What I love most in both sports and esports is sportsmanship, so can't wait to see more of it . Hopefully we'll get levels, extra IP per game per Honor level (even if only 1 per level), unique skins only available to certain Honor ranks and stuff.

I've been playing since the first wave (or 2nd?) of beta (when Ryze's ult would blow up ANYONE as soon as he reached 6 lol), and this is the most anticipated patch for me to date!

/brofist@Riot

PrinceVert

09-20-2012

This is going to fail so hard.

Why?

First-Because people are ******s while annonymous!

Second and more important - League of Legends philosophy its: If I won its because I carried, If I lose it's because my team fails. There is no middle point, people won't accept that they were carried or accept so easily that someone it's bettter than they. That's why you had the problem of fake reports in the first place, Riot, THINK!

Tangylicious

09-20-2012

I am glad that I cab reward others even if they don't do it for me
I always wanted a system similar to this!