Introducing Honor!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fongletto

09-19-2012

I'm not sure how I feel about this feature.. one thing I hate in life is fake niceness. People saying "hey man don't worry about it" even though they actually thinking "fk this noob" is even worse than them saying it.

This could potentially mean people will mess up and noone will ever call them out on it because they just want the honor rewards. So everyone will be congratulating everyone no matter how bad or selfishly they are playing.

Support doesn't get wards? Maxes starcall first? Clears minions, steals kills buffs? No worries! GG soraka you played really well. Unlucky their team was just better than ours?

Izzabelle

09-19-2012

I know you said no rewards as of yet, lyte, but are there artificial rewards to begin with for the test? An example being like... badges or achievements to earn?

What sorts of rewards would you like to give high-honor players? (whether or not you can)

Yenn

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemianator View Post
You don't have to worry. Judging by how you behave in the forums, I doubt you'll get any of those worthless points.
There's a difference, that being that my ranked games usually aren't filled with terrible low rated players disillusioned into thinking they're actually good at LoL.
As opposed to the forums, which is almost exclusively terrible low rated players thinking they have a clue.

I can see how you might miss this difference, though.

ham236

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fongletto View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about this feature.. one thing I hate in life is fake niceness. People saying "hey man don't worry about it" even though they actually thinking "fk this noob" is even worse than them saying it.

This could potentially mean people will mess up and noone will ever call them out on it because they just want the honor rewards. So everyone will be congratulating everyone no matter how bad or selfishly they are playing.

Support doesn't get wards? Maxes starcall first? Clears minions, steals kills buffs? No worries! GG soraka you played really well. Unlucky their team was just better than ours?
I respect your opinion and your argument is sound.

pfff...

Vuther

09-19-2012

Can I get the title Grand Marshal or High Warlord with this system?

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

09-19-2012
12 of 99 Riot Posts

This is one of the first systems that I wrote up a (very rough) design for upon joining the company many months ago. Lyte also had similar ideas (as did other designers + many of you) and he did a great job refining them and converting them into reality.

This is a feature that I truly believe will have a hugely positive effect on the community. Can't wait to start doling out some Honor!

ChaoticHeavens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham236 View Post
So... I still don't see how this couldn't be abused. All you have to do is say in post-game chat "hey honour me and I'll honour you back". Then just don't honour them...

p.s. it's spelled "honour", Lyte, stop being offensive to us commonwealth citizens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Unfortunately, we won't be revealing how we detect this or else players will try to abuse and skirt the detection algorithms. However, we've done a lot of testing and 'weird' cases internally and everything is caught. I'd recommend players just not try it because the penalties are harsh.

If you happen to coincidentally Honor someone who also Honors you, it's no problem at all.
My guess is that after a certain amount of trades, they begin to check chat logs or something.

LeagueBrains

09-19-2012

I hope to high heaven that there aren't any rewards associated with this.

Additionally, there have been many advocates (myself included) for this system within the community for a while. Was this an entirely internal experiment or is it going to take into account the discussions held on these here forums?

Is the Honor system going to be visible in the tribunal, to act as another metric for tribunal users to better gague players cases?

I like that you've finally put this into place.

Nid

09-19-2012

I have a feeling that this will end up being "honor the person who carries your game" much like everyone feels the need to report the worst player in their game.

KillerQuinn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2012

Dr. Lyte... Sounds like you're a megaman fan