Visual Upgrade: Soraka, the Starchild

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Feuerkraft

09-20-2012

so.. not all of her spells will have the same exact animation now? nice

Solzan Nemesis

09-20-2012

And meany LoL plays shinned with joy this day. Now maybe they will stop making threads about it.

Hover, why I was not one of though players. I am really loving this update. I might be buying her. She ios free right now. Time to go test her ^_^.

btw I love the art Riot.

StriderRyo

09-20-2012

Eh she certainly needed an update but not every character has to look like an anime harem character. The new art is great but I wish they kept her somewhat regal, mature, and experienced look, not to mention godly.. even though she lost her initial blessings she still retains the power of knowledge and experience, and even her previous art wasn't pretty but again they don't all have to be absolute victoria secret models, she looked like she was marred a bit by the terrible past that had caused her to lash out in rage and lose her immortality.

Now she looks like she belongs on Pandora with the Na'vi, hoppin around with all the other Mary Blue Sues.

ALTF4FUDGINGNOOB

09-20-2012

Riot really likes the movie Avatar, because Soraka now looks like a good damn Navi! Pretty cool where they're getting their ideas at least.

SirSupple

09-20-2012

GREAT! cant wait for Nidalee's!!

Hamtigers

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebdoog View Post
I respect your opinion and I am pleased that you didn't go off the deep end about me liking the changes. My whole point is that many many many people asked for the changes they made because of this reason: She is a very well made champion but her old splash art was ugly and unappealing. That was the message people sent to Riot and they delivered on it. I actually prefer the legs on her because it kinda changes my perception in a good way of what she is supposed to look like. The backwards legs like an actual goat was ugly to me. The only thing I'm not liking about it is the Ionian style detail is missing from her staff and the color of those details on her body are hard to see, compared to the bright yellow it was before. But I am not asking them to change it because the fact they even cared enough to rework her was good enough for me. Now I will get to play a cool looking Soraka rather than an old ugly goat. Its all perception.
Thank you for not calling me a mindless hater, but I think you are still missing the major point we are trying to make. I am not trying to invalidate your opinion, if you like the new Soraka that's great for you! I just want to try and make sure you understand where I and many others are coming from, since you seem hellbent on dismissing us as haters rather than people who just hope that riot will hear and consider our opinion. After all, Riot lets us comment on this so that we can give our opinion. (I've only been disliking the "omg so hot" and "fap" posts along with those claiming us trying to voice our opinion are trolls or haters. There's nothing wrong with people liking the new Soraka... so long as it's not ONLY because "they can fap to her now that she's hot".)

The point is we feel they could have made her look nicer without making her look like a completely different character. Her old face was, in my opinion, elegant looking and believe it or not, still very human looking. For an example of a famous (and generally thought of as good looking) person with such bony facial structure, google Cher. I honestly really enjoyed Soraka's cheek bones because as I said, it made her look different while (in my opinion) not making her look ugly.
I understand there are those who didn't enjoy it, but there are plenty of females that have the "standard beauty" in the game already. You don't see me complaining that not every male character looks as rugged/masculine/Handsome as Jarvan, Garen, or Graves(there are other examples too). It doesn't bother me that Ezreal is feminine, or that Zilean is old, or Varus is covered in dark goo, that fiddlesticks is a scarecrow, that Cho is a literal monster, or that Urgot is an abomination. Why? Because they are all their own characters and concepts, of course they aren't going to all be the same. We have plenty of non-humanoid male characters, but our only non-humanoid female is Anivia. (notice I said non-humanoid, not non-human.)

Basically, changing her facial structure is erasure of acknowledgement of non-"perfect" ideals of beauty. As I said above... for some reason no one seems to notice or mind if not every male character is attractive, so why does every single female need to be? I have no issue with Attractive female characters. Hell, Sivir comes across as a massive **** and I think she's a great character and I enjoy playing her(she... needs a model upgrade pretty badly too.). Having some sexy characters is never a bad thing. The problem is that over the years and decades its become really annoying how games and other forms of media just seem bent on erasing the idea that there is more than one idea of "attractive" for women. They also changed her body shape (referring mostly to her chest size and impossibly tiny waist) to be more "sexy".

As for the legs... well, I understand some people just aren't into the monster girl thing but that's what Soraka was. i'm jut a bit disappointed that Riot gave up their vision for such a unique character in favor of something "sexy" rather than just trying to spruce up what they already had to make it graphically match the newer stuff. I'm just glad they didn't remove the horse legs completely, I just wish they weren't so... thin. They honestly just don't look like they support her anymore unless that's just the tiny screenshots distorting my perception of their size, which is entirely possible.

(I also liked the yellow details better too. They stood out more and also the dark blue on the blue just... supports everyone comparing her to a Na'vi, which is painful for me to see people just instantly equating her to that. As you said though, that is a trivial thing to whine over, which is why it hasn't been a major point of complaint for me, I just mentioned it in passing in my first post back on page 80)

Phase Palm

09-20-2012

Yaddar

09-20-2012

now, who is ne next on the line?

Sion?
Twisted Fate?
Nidalee?
Sivir?
Master yi?
Annie?
Singed?
Taric?

... oh God, you have a lot of work to do =/

MageRage

09-20-2012

Finally! I love it!

The splash art, however...I don't know, I just really envision Soraka as being a little more non-child-like. She's supposed to be mature and divine, not sweet and innocent.

LOLBRBIDied

09-20-2012

10/10 would hit that.