Trying to decide between 3150 champs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kroghar

09-22-2010

I feel like I make one of these threads every week, but now that I'm nearing level 20, I'm going to have to start saving for Tier 3 Runes and Quints. So I may only be able to grab one or two more champs in the near future, have to make them good ones.

What I'm looking for is a Meaty-DPS champ who can take those aggressive dives after opponents and most times come out alive. The thing I tend to not like about melee champs is how boring the early laning phase is. I hate nothing more than spending the first 10 minutes of a game hugging my turret because every time I move towards a creep I get harassed by range. I like to be that champ that people see on their own and start running.

I've narrowed it down to a few, and have been reading guides on them, but it's still a tough choice to make:

AKALI - Like that she's fast and can dive bomb opponents. Kind of stealth-like, but worried that she doesn't have much lane presence early on. When I've faced her its' always been, "Don't worry about her till she's level 6+."

XIN ZHAO - Definitely sounds like what I'm looking for as Meaty-DPS. I've seen him tower dive and mess people up and run. But again worried that he has no ranged attack, and probably starts off too slow.

PANTHEON - This guy intrigues me a lot. Has a stun attack, has a ranged attack for early harass, has a burst move, and probably has one of the best tower dive abilities. Guess I'm more concerned about how he plays out. I heard he was heavily nerfed and people laugh when they see him in the loading screen, but I've also been a squishy caster and have been scared for my life of the red circle of doom.

MORDEKAISER - I've actually never seen this guy in game. It sounds though like he has pretty nice lane presence for a melee champ with an Echoing attack and AoE damage shield. Definitely sounds meaty enough to tower dive if he needs to. My worry is that he may be too slow and with no debilitate. Also I read that he's in line for a DPS buff possibly next, which kind of makes me want to grab him now in anticipation.

Crobot

09-22-2010

All four of those champions are strong in their own right.

Akali actually has quite a strong lane presence, she has some of the highest early game burst damage of any champion. Her real weakness is that she is almost very exclusively an assassin. If she gets caught in the middle of a teamfight, she'll get destroyed, so you need to be careful about picking your targets.

Xin Zhao generally has no problem with range because he has a powerful distance closer. He's one of the few champions that can capitalize on attack speed.

Pantheon is a snowballing champion. He's powerful early game, and if you take advantage of that, he can be used to steamroll the rest of the way to victory, though if you're unable to capitalize on it, he becomes much weaker later on.

Mordekaiser is one of the most powerful laners in the game thanks to having three AoE skills and his passive shield. He can harrass like no tomorrow, his only weakness in the lane being early game bursters like Pantheon and Ryze. His base movement speed is actually pretty good, and getting Force of Nature (Which is a really great item on him) will boost his speed ever further to make up for his lack of an innate disable. Aside from that, focus on magic penetration, cooldown reduction, armor and magic resist and Mordekaiser is a beast.

Leib Olmai

09-22-2010

Akali shine in middle. But she also can lane pretty well with someone. She can harras with her Q and get some last hit. But yes, before level 6, don't except a high burst dps or to gank anyone. You really need to learn how to manage your energey and Ult stack. You got 3 and they regenerate after X time or kill etc, you can't spam it like you want.

Xin Zhao seem pretty fun (didn't played him, but got friend who actually play him) He's one of the good Physical dps, he's not "so tanky" tho. He's a good addition to any team that need a carry.

Pantheon seems also pretty fun, but unfortunaly, unless he's fed, he don't scale very well. It's really a love it or hate it. I haven't seen "real good" pantheon yet. Andalot of poeple say he's UP since he got nerf, and he don't worth it anymore. You'll need golem buff alot too since he have hard time with his mana.

Mordekaiser isn't really one the most powerful laners in the game. He's just hard to harras, but he have unique playstyle. If the other team is good enough, you might won't be able to do anything, since if you try to harras like there's no tommorow, but kind off fight agasint wise poeple, you'll fail easy. A good mordekaiser need to be agressive, but not stupid. He's not really a tank, not really a dps. He's a mix of both. His ult tho, if used on the correct champ at the right time can turn a fight in your favor. He also shine in middle better. I wouldn't suggest him in my opinion. I personally regretted buying him.

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2010

Akali is bursty and dpsy but the opposite of meaty. Xin is a beast, probably my favorite character I own so far (i have the boxed-game bundle and Xin and Garen). I've heard Pantheon can be good, but for the most part I haven't seen him as a major presence. My understanding is he got nerfed recently and is now considered somewhat underpowered.

timaxman

09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroghar View Post
I feel like I make one of these threads every week, but now that I'm nearing level 20, I'm going to have to start saving for Tier 3 Runes and Quints. So I may only be able to grab one or two more champs in the near future, have to make them good ones.

What I'm looking for is a Meaty-DPS champ who can take those aggressive dives after opponents and most times come out alive. The thing I tend to not like about melee champs is how boring the early laning phase is. I hate nothing more than spending the first 10 minutes of a game hugging my turret because every time I move towards a creep I get harassed by range. I like to be that champ that people see on their own and start running.
What you need to realize is that playing the game at your current level and at a higher level in the future are very different. For the most part the first 10min of the game involve you farming minion kills, not pushing at all. Also towerdiving is almost always a bad idea.

If I can't sway you with that, then I guess by your descriptions you are looking for morde, he pushes, and he dives.

zeirios

09-22-2010

The best diver and overall pick for sure is Xin.

Pantheon is just meh unless you are very good with him and you get fed. But he is still very squishy and I would never dive with him in most circumstances, unless you are ulting right into their tower with someone at low hp.

Mord is great at holding a 1v2 lane and you wear people down with your spells. Once they get to a certain damage level, Ignite + Ult = free kill. You almost never need to leave lane with regrowth pendent + your shield.

Akali is an assassin so you try to find easy ganks. I would recommend jungling with Akali if your team can handle that. This way, people won't know when you're coming for ganks, and even before level 6 you can pop out with shroud and coordinate some early ganks.

Of all the champs you listed, only Xin and Panth are "dps" and Panth is just squishy.

Kroghar

09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by timaxman View Post
What you need to realize is that playing the game at your current level and at a higher level in the future are very different. For the most part the first 10min of the game involve you farming minion kills, not pushing at all. Also towerdiving is almost always a bad idea.

If I can't sway you with that, then I guess by your descriptions you are looking for morde, he pushes, and he dives.
Yeah, I've recently been discovering that. The days of charging noobs early on and killing them multiple times in the lane are pretty much gone. I've watched high ranked players and they almost seem to completely ignore each other for the first 8 levels other than mind games.

But my point is, I at least want to be able to farm minions if nothing else. My experience with champs like Amumu in the first 10 minutes is that he has no ranged presence, if you are matched up against any ranged champ, as soon as you get close to minions they'll start taking pop shots at you and your forced to just sit back and watch them farm. It makes for an excruciating game for me. Early game is boring because all your doing is observing your lane mate to offer support when possible. Mid game is slow because you have no gold from farming and it takes longer to get items. End game finally gets fun, but then it's over.

So my point is I want someone who can lane fairly well early on, doesn't have to fear ranged opponents as a melee character, and then later game (me being a fairly aggressive player), has the tools to clean up the kills, and tower dive when necessary because I generally dislike the mentality of ranged champions to fight from a distance and hide behind their tower.

Kroghar

09-22-2010

I think I'm definitely leaning between Mordekaiser and Xin'Zhao, Akali and Pantheon sound more like Champs that may be more fun to try out later on, with less potential to really hook me. It's a shame because Pantheon looks like a blast, but I've heard from countless people that he just doesn't remain a threat into the late game.

Leib Olmai

09-22-2010

Go for Xin.